• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

That's what I thought, but I couldn't remember it for sure.

But regardless of it being a reprint of the MSS magazine, Star Wars 42 is still desirable because it has Boba Fett on the cover, and is the first comic book appearance.

In a CGC world, having the character on the cover really matters.

Yep

MSS is a comic as well.

But regardless of it being a reprint of the MSS magazine, Star Wars 42 is still desirable because it has Boba Fett on the cover, and is the first comic book appearance.

Yep

MSS is a comic as well.

Already been down this road recently. Apparently treasuries, magazines, paperbacks, or other non-pamphlet formats with comic content are not comics. (shrug) I believe what is being said is it is not a comic in the traditional format and size. Hence Star Wars 42 is the first comic appearance of Boba Fett and not the other 3 publications with the same content that came out before it.

I'm sure I did a poor job of adequately defending the position, but generally, I understand what is being said. ;)

Edited by rjrjr

Guess that would be the same for comic magazines like Marvel Preview 4 , 7, Savage Tales 1 etc.? Those 1st appearances really don't count much because they weren't comics.

Guess that would be the same for comic magazines like Marvel Preview 4 , 7, Savage Tales 1 etc.? Those 1st appearances really don't count much because they weren't comics.

Gold Key Mystery Comics Digest 5 has no cover appearance by Doctor Spektor, so his first comic book appearance must be in the Occult Files of Dr. Spektor 1. :(

Edited by rjrjr

I think the difference here is that Boba Fett's first appearance was actually in The Empire Strikes Back (the film). So if the average person wants his first comic appearance, unless they're a hardcore completionist, they'll probably gravitate towards Star Wars #42 - your mainstream-style comic book.

Marvel Preview #4, 7, etc are the actual first appearances of those characters anywhere.

What do you guys think about Batman Family #6? I picked up a FN copy for $2. The new 52 relaunch in Catwoman 23 has this one heating up I think. What kind of potential do you think it has long term?

First off you made a good buy. I sold my copy for $25 in VG/F a few weeks back.

I dont think your book is high enough grade to hold if you can pull $20+ for I would take it.

It might be a little better grade than FN, as I am not an experienced grader. I always lowball the grade to be safe. Anyway, I plan on keeping it for a little while in case it ever gets a little more expensive.

I think the difference here is that Boba Fett's first appearance was actually in The Empire Strikes Back (the film). So if the average person wants his first comic appearance, unless they're a hardcore completionist, they'll probably gravitate towards Star Wars #42 - your mainstream-style comic book.

Marvel Preview #4, 7, etc are the actual first appearances of those characters anywhere.

the illustrated empire paperback IS the first appearance of boba, it's a sequential art format too so it should be considered his first appearance in print, anywhere. that book though is not the first appearance of yoda, the yoda in that paperback is a prototype

Yep

MSS is a comic as well.

Nope, it's officially a magazine like SI or Playboy.

Already been down this road recently. Apparently treasuries, magazines, paperbacks, or other non-pamphlet formats with comic content are not comics. (shrug) I believe what is being said is it is not a comic in the traditional format and size. Hence Star Wars 42 is the first comic appearance of Boba Fett and not the other 3 publications with the same content that came out before it.

I'm sure I did a poor job of adequately defending the position, but generally, I understand what is being said. ;)

This really does not make sense. :foryou:

There are some people on these boards who insist treasuries, magazines, paperbacks, and other non-pamphlet formats with comic book content are not comics. So if a character appears in a comic magazine first and the character appears again in a traditional sized comic book, the traditional sized comic book is the first comic appearance of the character. Look at the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon for another example.

Edited by rjrjr

There are some people on these boards who insist treasuries, magazines, paperbacks, and other non-pamphlet formats with comic book content are not comics. So if a character appears in a comic magazine first and the character appears again in a traditional sized comic book, the traditional sized comic book is the first comic appearance of the character. Look at the first appearance of Rocket Raccoon for another example.

1st is 1st, whether the character appeared in a comic book, magazine, treasury, or roll of toilet paper.

However, sometimes the market determines that an appearance other than the actual first is the one that is valued more. If comic fans decide that they want Hulk 271, more than Marvel Preview 7, then Hulk 271 will be more in demand and will command the higher price.

It still doesn't change the fact that MP7 is the actual first appearance of Rocket Raccoon

1st is 1st, whether the character appeared in a comic book, magazine, treasury, or roll of toilet paper.

So were there any pre-release ESB magazines or stories that displayed Boba Fett? I seem to remember reading about the character prior to the movie or comic release.

So were there any pre-release ESB magazines or stories that displayed Boba Fett? I seem to remember reading about the character prior to the movie or comic release.

The Star Wars Holiday Special

I know, but this does not change the fact they are comics nonetheless.

Some collectors' tastes do not change a fact. They may be less collected but they will still be first appearances (not talking of R.R., as I have never read the original stories, but speaking in general). :)

I know, but this does not change the fact they are comics nonetheless.

But they are not comic books, they are magazines, created and published by the magazine department, distributed through magazine distribution and sold in places where traditional magazines were sold.

That was their entire purpose, to get Marvel Magazines into Magazine shops, and they are no different than Fangoria.

But they are not comic books, they are magazines, created and published by the magazine department, distributed through magazine distribution and sold in places where traditional magazines were sold.

That was their entire purpose, to get Marvel Magazines into Magazine shops, and they are no different than Fangoria.

Agreed. When I was a kid visiting the pharmacy or supermarket or 7-11, I never confused comic books on the spinner rack with comics content in a non-comic book format, whether it is magazine, treasury, graphic novel or digest size (e.g., DC Digests). I think the two general formats are night and day in form, although not in substance. One is a comic book; the other is not. The sine qua non test is the price ... pre-Modern comics were priced quite affordably, to permit buyers (largely adolescents particularly in the 10- to 14-year old category) to buy multiple issues with a dollar or two. I liked coming out of the 7-11 with 3 comics with pocket change versus coming out with one magazine.

Nobody wants to store them is what it comes down too. I got np recognizing them I just don't want them.

Yep

MSS is a comic as well.

Nope, it's officially a magazine like SI or Playboy.

Magazine/comic Read the front of the cover. Top states magazine bottom says official comic adaption.

You know your stuff I admit that, but you're wrong about this being like SI and Playboy. Not everything is black and white; there are gray areas where the lines are blurred.

Nobody wants to store them is what it comes down too. I got np recognizing them I just don't want them.

I can see that problem with the treasuries, but magazines have the same options as comic books as far as storage goes. And paperbacks can be stored in comic book boxes, bagged and boarded, along with the rest of the comic books. I always store them in the front of the box, before I start in on the regular sized comic books. But I do understand what you are saying.

I'm a fan of comic stories, so I am happy to pick up magazines, paperbacks, treasures, TPBs, hardcover books, etc. for my collection. I'm also aware of the fact that I'm probably a minority when it comes to valuing the first appearance, regardless of the format of the paper media.

Agreed. When I was a kid visiting the pharmacy or supermarket or 7-11, I never confused comic books on the spinner rack with comics content in a non-comic book format, whether it is magazine, treasury, graphic novel or digest size (e.g., DC Digests). I think the two general formats are night and day in form, although not in substance. One is a comic book; the other is not. The sine qua non test is the price ... pre-Modern comics were priced quite affordably, to permit buyers (largely adolescents particularly in the 10- to 14-year old category) to buy multiple issues with a dollar or two. I liked coming out of the 7-11 with 3 comics with pocket change versus coming out with one magazine.

You can say that Marvel Preview 7 is not a comic or not in comic book format but it contains sequential art stories featuring characters from comic book universes like Marvel. It really doesn't matter though, we are talking about appearance of the character. Hulk 271 is still desirable because it's Rocket's first cover and color appearance. Though I do not believe that market trends matter when it comes to determining facts such as first appearances, in this case the market has also spoken. Marvel Previews generally sells for more that Hulk 271 much like Marvel Preview 4 is considered Starlord's first appearance over Marvel Spotlight 6. To say that Starlord's first appearance was 4 years later because Marvel Previews 4 is a magazine is erroneous.