• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Is there something about ASM 187 that I am missing? I know I have, in the past, been able to get a little premium for the non-newsstand versions, but I am seeing folks shelling out $15 (including shipping) or more for ieven the newsie, sometimes a chunk more total: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-187-FN-5-5-1-Book-Electro-Captain-America-Jim-Starlin/193764384875?hash=item2d1d41e06b:g:wTMAAOSwbDtfueGX ...., that is an outlier, but there are still a few in that range. a few months ago I see a bunch more in the $1-$3 range plus shipping. But i am not seeing wacky CGC prices (admittedly, there are few cgc sales). Electro and Starlin art don't seem to be a good reason to shell out $15 for a mid-grade copy. Dum Dum Dugan? Anyway, I see most of those Spidey's not in high grade with nothing special about them as $1-$2 box books I'd hope tp flip for $5, but maybe I need to readjust my reality. 

Comics w Cap or Hulk on other character's title's covers sell well

On 12/6/2020 at 2:48 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

It’s crazy to me to think even low or mid grade raw copies were dollar bin books at any point. Such a cool book and with Kirby art can’t take my eyes off of it. I just remember that graded 9.8’s were about $400 or so pre-movie and about doubled overnight post-movie announcement.

They definitely were. For years I grabbed every one i saw out of a dollar box. Probably had 15 or so. I used to sell BA grab bags on ebay ... $500 in OPG for $200 or whatever, and I'd often toss a nice one in there because I think it was $15 or $20 in guide in NM and i paid $1, I figured I was being a genius. Unfortunately, I also tossed a lot of Special Marvel Edition 15s in those grab bags because it was a book that was like $100 in guide, but I couldn't get more than $30 for a nice copy and I had paid $10 each for them when I bought every copy kochcom had. They were nice solid 9.0 - 9.4 copies. I got rid of at least 10 of them this way. It would often be the centerpiece "expensive" book in the grab bags.  And Ms. Marvel 1s. DD 181 and Avengers Annual 10 too. Books I could get cheap live that I figured would never be worth anything close to what Overstreet said they were worth. Genius!

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I seriously doubt Marvel will let that happen.

It is going to be a while before we have billion dollar theatrical releases. If they rush it to the screens it will bomb. There may be a lot of pent up demand to go out and see a movie, but there is also a lot of fear. I'm not sure I would risk it and I don't know if I want to wear a mask for 2 hours in a theatre. Heck, I have eaten in a restaurant twice. Once was very uncomfortable as a crowd of drunk maskless guys was on top of my family. The other time the restaurant was empty, so no issue.

12 hours ago, the blob said:

It is going to be a while before we have billion dollar theatrical releases. If they rush it to the screens it will bomb. There may be a lot of pent up demand to go out and see a movie, but there is also a lot of fear. I'm not sure I would risk it and I don't know if I want to wear a mask for 2 hours in a theatre. Heck, I have eaten in a restaurant twice. Once was very uncomfortable as a crowd of drunk maskless guys was on top of my family. The other time the restaurant was empty, so no issue.

Covid doesn't make a movie a bomb.

A poorly written or acted movie is a bomb. 

They aren't the same thing.

34 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Depends on your definition of a bomb. Tenet is neither poorly written nor acted yet lost an estimated $100 million and that's 100% attributable to COVID. 

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

I disagree. Good movies can fail in this environment (heck, they can fail regardless). Theatres are not even open in my city. They haven't been since March. New Mutants, for example, might have sucked, I will find out eventually, but if theatres aren't open, and where they are open half the population (or more) is scared to go to them, a $100 million budget movie is going to have problems. Theatrical releases in the near future are destined to be disasters given how much of the population is living within restrictions. And I am not going to spent $20 or $25 or whatever pay per view is. And sure, that makes no sense because I spend that on a movie, but I like seeing it in the theatre vs. the living room I am in all the time. I only have a 50 inch TV, so it is not that much of an "experience."

I haven't seen all (or most) of these movies, but I agree that some of them did not deserve to bomb: https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/best-films-box-office-bombs/warrior-2010/

https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/business/critically-acclaimed-movies-that-bombed-now/

Edited by the blob

37 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Depends on your definition of a bomb. Tenet is neither poorly written nor acted yet lost an estimated $100 million and that's 100% attributable to COVID. 

Well in a round about way we are saying the same thing. Good Point.

Edited by fastballspecial

3 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Shawshank Redemption, one of the greatest movies ever made, was a box office bomb, pulling in $16 million at the box office vs. a $25 million budget. It eventually got up to $58.3 million total with international, but that is still a loss under the you need to make 3X budget to have a chance at profitability.  No covid. Just a weird market. I assume it eventually made money getting played on TV a billion times, but still. And it is hardly alone.

Breaking box office records is out of the question for Eternals at this point as it is scheduled to be released in February.

And to the OP stating that after the movie the buyer will be sorry, that has been the case for every movie tied to a comic for the past 10 years. There is no reason to be confused that people buy before the movie at this point.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Breaking box office records is out of the question for Eternals at this point as it is scheduled to be released in February.

And to the OP stating that after the movie the buyer will be sorry, that has been the case for every movie tied to a comic for the past 10 years. There is no reason to be confused that people buy before the movie at this point.

Insane not to delay that release a little longer. Theatres will not be open by me then. I live in a metropolitan area of nearly 30 million people. Outside my city of almost 9 million, the counties that do have movie theatres can only have them 25% full and you need to watch the movie with a mask on. Who on earth wants that?

10 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

FOX, not Marvel. There really haven't been any Marvel letdowns in terms of box off gross. Film wise, yes some are better than others, but most have been very good.

Thor Dark World made money, but it was a real snooze fest.

5 hours ago, the blob said:
5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Shawshank Redemption, one of the greatest movies ever made, was a box office bomb, pulling in $16 million at the box office vs. a $25 million budget. It eventually got up to $58.3 million total with international, but that is still a loss under the you need to make 3X budget to have a chance at profitability.  No covid. Just a weird market. I assume it eventually made money getting played on TV a billion times, but still. And it is hardly alone.

Lack of advertising. When I was in college my Sociology professor took us all to see this film. Said it was the best film about
human nature and hope he had ever seen. 

I looked at the definition of a bomb differently then you did thats all. 

I think John Carter was the same as above only not as good as Shawshank.

Heck, I didn't think Solo was bad. Not great, Should have been better. Following up too close to a bad "Last Jedi" movie hurt it, maybe a summer release (when folks were acclimated to December Star Wars releases).. I dunno. I was angry as how bad Last Jedi was, not Solo. But it shouldn't have been the basis to re-think the spin-off movies. And a $400 million box office is not the end of the world,  it isn't like people didn't see the move... unless you spend $275 million to make it.

23 hours ago, the blob said:

Yes,  I've seen the Shawshank Redemption a bunch of times...never gets old..Great movie! 

On 12/8/2020 at 11:05 AM, fastballspecial said:

With no Covid or other crisis or pandemic, I would agree 

but

with Covid or other crisis or someother pandemic,  I disagree...I would normally watch a movie that I think I will like at the movie theatre but with Covid all over the place, no way and I'm not the only one just in my small circle that normally would be at the theatre but not now with Covid.  That does impact box office ticket sales IMO.  

Distribute this Covid Vaccine in time for the release and most likely will see the movie at a movie theatre but still wear a mask (uhh!) just to be on the safe side.