• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

variants - back cover

6 posts in this topic

Today I came across some pics I took a few years back of Transformers #3 (Marvel), three "direct market" editions yet all three have different back covers and different ads on the inside of the front covers. I went looking to see if I still had all 3 issues. I found 2 of them but one of them is missing somewhere in my horde, or perhaps I sold it somewhere along the way.

As a collector, Ive heard of alternate covers, price variants, printing errors, double covers, etc... but I don't ever recall hearing about back cover ad variants. I'm sure that TF #3 was not the only issue to ever have back page ad variations, it just happens to be the only once I have ever noticed so far.

Doing some quick google and ebay searches doesn't pan out any additional insight. Either most people haven't noticed these ad variations, or nobody has bothered to post about it as its basically irrelevant.

I uploaded the pics, they are here if anyone is curious to see:

Front - shows all 3 are "direct" editions

http://postimage.org/image/5ublcm9sx/

back - shows all 3 have diff back covers

http://postimage.org/image/uc5y23s39/

inside - shows all 3 have diff adds on inside of cover

http://postimage.org/image/jgulp0wxz/

The most boring sub-classification of comic book collecting has been identified: back cover advertising variants.

Transfomers was probably ultra-hot at the time and Marvel obviously got to triple-dip on their advertising for the cost of a couple plate changes on press. Interesting catch, though!

As long as I am credited as uncovering/starting the most pointless collecting movement!

On second thought nope.... even I wouldn't care which back ad a particular issue had. Although I do prefer the Star Wars ad over the acne cream one.... hm

The earliest issue I know of that has two different back covers is:

Jimmy Wakely 1 {1949}

Some copies have a "Rope 'em both" ad and some copies have a

Schwinn bicycle ad.

There are a LOT of different DC issues that changed the back cover

ads. This is especially common when DC was selling 3 comics

in a bag.

Tracking these down is not the most difficult of variant searches.

That has to be tracking down issues where there is a variation in

the interior ads.

Aha! I figured diff ads were probably at least somewhat common, I was just surprised that I had not noticed it more often.

Cool thanks for the info, jerome.

Darn it now I have to edit my ebay listing for the acne back cover one and remove my claims of SUPER RARE! CGC IT!!!! :grin: