• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with this GL 1, 9.0 double cover??

19 posts in this topic

Just in case anyone was thinking of bidding on the Hulk #1, I present you with Exhibit A:

ndVLW.jpg

(same cert number as the one he has listed, but not the same book)...

Additionally, the Northland Hulk #1 is a 9.2, not an 8.0... so looks to me like this guy's Photoshop skills are pretty strong. I think that the grainy cell-phone photo effect is especially nice...

Now I need to remember how to report a fraudulent listing on ebay :frustrated:

Again - how does he make off with the cash?

My understanding is that there is way to do it by setting up a bank account, shifting the PayPal payment into to it and withdrawing the dough before the thing blows up. Not saying that's what this guy is doing, but it has been known to happen.

Man, if this photo is fake he should be able to make a fortune using his photoshop skills. I know the Iranians are looking for people with those skills. :insane:

What amazes me is that the reflection in the CGC case includes the louvres/grill or whatever it is next to the book. Can anyone point out a definitive spot in the picture that proves its a fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-5-5-off-white-to-white-pgs-Marvel-1962-SPIDER-MAN-/130822350148?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e759ea544

Looks like a chop job to me. The AF #15 slab is stretched (distorted) and there's no drop shadow under it. Also, the slab with the GL #1 is sitting on a speckled background, none of which shows through any of the clear areas of the slab. The Hulk #1 is a little better, it has drop shadows, but they really don't look real to me, looks like they were added in PS.

(we have expert digital retouchers here - so I can tell you these are not indicative of someone with great Photoshop skills)

Looks like a chop job to me. The AF #15 slab is stretched (distorted) and there's no drop shadow under it. Also, the slab with the GL #1 is sitting on a speckled background, none of which shows through any of the clear areas of the slab. The Hulk #1 is a little better, it has drop shadows, but they really don't look real to me, looks like they were added in PS.

(we have expert digital retouchers here - so I can tell you these are not indicative of someone with great Photoshop skills)

(thumbs u

Along those lines, it looks like the AF 15 was originally photographed on a car seat or something similar... you can see what looks like a shiny vinyl texture through the slab. That texture is absent on the floor itself.

Man, if this photo is fake he should be able to make a fortune using his photoshop skills. I know the Iranians are looking for people with those skills. :insane:

What amazes me is that the reflection in the CGC case includes the louvres/grill or whatever it is next to the book. Can anyone point out a definitive spot in the picture that proves its a fake?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-5-5-off-white-to-white-pgs-Marvel-1962-SPIDER-MAN-/130822350148?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item1e759ea544

If you look in the first image between the label and the book there appears to be a black seat like ripple (look near each edge of the barcode, cgc label and to the right of the grade). The second photo taken in the same spot flipped over (where the book front was taken is a clean background).

(thumbs u

Along those lines, it looks like the AF 15 was originally photographed on a car seat or something similar... you can see what looks like a shiny vinyl texture through the slab. That texture is absent on the floor itself.

Ya that!

The fact that the seller is offering a book that does not exist (Hulk #1 8.0 Northland with the serial number from another Hulk #1 8.0 shopped into his image) isn't enough to convince you that his AF 15 listing is equally fake? :makepoint:

That said, there have been plenty of fraudulent listings on ebay with perfectly "real" (meaning unmanipulated) images, that were just stolen from other places and I will say that this guy did a relatively convincing job with these images. At least on the Hulk and the GL; AF 15 looks all out of proportion.

The fact that the seller is offering a book that does not exist (Hulk #1 8.0 Northland with the serial number from another Hulk #1 8.0 shopped into his image) isn't enough to convince you that his AF 15 listing is equally fake? :makepoint:

That said, there have been plenty of fraudulent listings on ebay with perfectly "real" (meaning unmanipulated) images, that were just stolen from other places and I will say that this guy did a relatively convincing job with these images. At least on the Hulk and the GL; AF 15 looks all out of proportion.

My point was that the fake looked good to me but it is still a fake. My apologizes that this was not clear. :fear:

My point was that the fake looked good to me but it is still a fake. My apologizes that this was not clear. :fear:

My bad, wasn't trying to be snippy... :sorry:

I just thought it was funny that there was even a question that these listing were anything but a scam. Anyway, I agree - he did a pretty good job with the fake photos.