• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a pull-list?

45 posts in this topic

Slightly OT,

Since it's xmas, let's share...

OA collectors are seen as old curmudgeons that just bash on modern comics.

I'd love to hear with other people on this board are reading.

After not reading monthlies for about 20 years, 2 years ago I got hooked again by Rick Remiender's Uncanny X-Force, and now I am back to getting a few titles a month:

Also, for those of you that don't keep up, Image of all publishers is where the really great creative stuff is coming from these days!

So, anyway. Here's what I'm reading:

Image:

Saga

Prophet

Fatale

Morning Glories

Bedlam

Thief of Thieves

Comeback (Mini Series)

Storm Dogs (Another Mini)

Dark Horse:

Mind MGMT

The Massive

Big 2:

Dial H

Batman Inc

Wolverine and the X-Men

(I think I have dropped everything else from them at the moment!)

-Pete

My monthly pull list right now:

- Daredevil

- Daredevil: End of Days

- Batman

- Nightwing

- Detective Comics

- Thunderbolts

- The Walking Dead

- Any Punisher title (since Max ended I've been deeply saddened)

- Astonishing X-Men

- Amazing Spider-Man (I guess this one's done in a week)

If I had to sell someone on picking something up.

I would really sugest picking up a TPB of either Saga or Fatale.

Depending on what you like.

Saga is just a cool / off key sci-fi book with really well developed characters. But it's not for the faint of heart, there's a lot of sex, violence nudity and grotesque...

But it's accessible enough that my wife LOVES it. Every week she asks if the new issue is in yet.

Fatale is a great crime noir, and for a cool twist they added a cthulu type backdrop.

Both you can pick up for $10 on amazon.

There's a lot of great, creative stuff being done these days. And it's creator owned, so no one's mailing it in on the art / story or content IMO.

Plasticmoz: is American Vampire that good? My buddy is in love with it, but I have not tried to dive in.

This is my monthly list...about 70 titles

A Game of Thrones

Animal Man

Aquaman

Batgirl

Batman

Batman and Robin

Before Watchmen - The Minutemen

Before Watchmen - Comedian

Before Watchmen - Ozymandias

Before Watchmen - Niteowl

Before Watchmen - Rorschach

Before Watchmen - Dr Manhattan

Bedlam

Black Kiss 2

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - The Return of the Master

BPRD 1948

Catwoman

Chew

Colder

Daredevil

Daredevil End of Days

Demon Knights

Earth 2

Enormous

FF (2012)

Fables

Fantastic Four

Harvest

Hawkeye

Hellblazer

Hoax Hunters

Insufferable

Invincible

Love and Capes

Lot 13

Locke and Key Omega

Masks

Northlanders

Peter Panzerfaust

Punk Rock Jesus

Punch Drunk

Rachel Rising

Revival

RIPD City of the Damned

Saga

Spirit of the Law

Storm Dogs

Stormwatch

Suicide Squad

Swamp Thing

Sweet Tooth

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode

The Sixth Gun

The Manhattan Projects

The Massive

The Phantom Stranger

The unwritten

The Walking Dead

Thief of Thieves

The Goon

Ultimates V5 1

Ursa Minor

Vampirella The Red Room

Wasteland

Winter Soldier

Witch Doctor Malpractice

Wonder Woman

Where is Jake Ellis

Yeah....I know :eek:

geez.. do you actually read all 70 every month or do you fall behind? :P

My pull list was 10-15 and I fell behind fast and basically cut it down to almost 0.

Malvin

A Game of Thrones

Animal Man

Aquaman

Batgirl

Batman

Batman and Robin

Bedlam

Black Kiss 2

B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth - The Return of the Master

BPRD 1948

Catwoman

Chew

Colder

Daredevil

Daredevil End of Days

Demon Knights

Earth 2

Enormous

FF (2012)

Fables

Fantastic Four

Harvest

Hawkeye

Hellblazer

Hoax Hunters

Insufferable

Invincible

Love and Capes

Lot 13

Locke and Key Omega

Masks

Northlanders

Peter Panzerfaust

Punk Rock Jesus

Punch Drunk

Rachel Rising

Revival

RIPD City of the Damned

Saga

Spirit of the Law

Storm Dogs

Stormwatch

Suicide Squad

Swamp Thing

Sweet Tooth

The Strange Talent of Luther Strode

The Sixth Gun

The Manhattan Projects

The Massive

The Phantom Stranger

The unwritten

The Walking Dead

Thief of Thieves

The Goon

Ultimates V5 1

Ursa Minor

Vampirella The Red Room

Wasteland

Winter Soldier

Witch Doctor Malpractice

Wonder Woman

Where is Jake Ellis

Yeah....I know :eek:

geez.. do you actually read all 70 every month or do you fall behind? :P

My pull list was 10-15 and I fell behind fast and basically cut it down to almost 0.

Malvin

:grin:

I read them all and then some...I'm up to 2500 comics read in 2012... so on average I read about 200 comics a month.

I collected for years without reading them...and then I decided enough was enough and started tackling about 10.000 comics I still needed to read. I've now read about half of those but my pull list is getting bigger and bigger...so I'm not getting through the backissues as fast as I would like.

The strange thing is that all the back issues I read are Marvel, but I hardly read any modern Marvel at all...some DC, but mostly Image, Dark Horse and other Indies.

Pete: Definitely -- I am not typically someone who reads vampire-related stuff but Snyder's writing on AV is certainly not typical when tackling that subject matter. Great story and excellent quality art by Albuquerque, given that it's taking a break for a few months I'd highly recommend jumping in.

How're these turning out? Better than the original?

I'm reading about 15 titles a month. My favorites: SAGA, THE GOON, SWEET TOOTH, LOCKE AND KEY, WALKING DEAD, FURY MAX. My absolute favorite: THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS. Came to it late, via trade, but now it's at the top of my reading pile. Haven't been this excited about an ongoing series since Y: THE LAST MAN and haven't been this excited about the art since Eric Powell and THE GOON.

I concur that Image is the most exciting publisher these days. The new Vertigo. I also recommend PROPHET, but conditionally. It's all ideas, there's not much story (at least not one I can make out). Very different from the typical book I like. An acquired taste...try the first couple of issues. If you're not into it by then, it's not for you. I've read every issue so far and look forward to more.

I also wonder, among OA collectors who still get comic books, do you read more for the story, or do you get the books as a catalog for potential OA?

I've always read comics for the story. If I like the book, then it also doubles as a catalog. I wouldn't buy art from a title I don't enjoy reading. I also wouldn't buy any art I didn't find aesthetically pleasing. There are a few books I've liked a lot, but the art just didn't do enough for me to buy it.

I stopped reading in the early 1990s when the art became more important than the story. Haven't looked back.

Your loss. The '90s were mostly a wasteland, but the '00s were great. So far, so good this decade, too.

My inclination is to just bash on new titles, but I don't care enough about them to waste my time. I'll just say that I'm not buying any new comics.

DG

Your loss as well.

Unless you guys are talking strictly superhero titles, which I'll admit I don't generally follow, I'd say I'm enjoying reading new books as much as I ever have in the 30+ years of going to the comic ship.

Nexus,

It's not my loss. My loss was buying long box after long box of comics searching for something made the way I want it to be made. I wasted hundreds of dollars filling up my home with stuff that did not live up to my standards.

I read Walking Dead #1 on the internet and I've scanned through it on the shelves many many times. It looks horrid and it's boring. I'd rather read the ingredients on a cereal box. If you offered to pay me to watch the TV show, I'd refuse. I picked up Morning Glories based upon all the praise. I feel that it belongs in the trash. I thumbed through 2 dozen comics today at a book store and just shook my head in disgust.

What do I want to see in a comic? I want to see artists and writers that follow Stan Lee's guidelines in the video series "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way." You can watch it on youtube. I don't want a full page showing 4 panels of the same staircase with characters DOING NOTHING. I don't want art that looks like it was inked with a sharpie or drawn by someone who doesn't know functional style differences between Neal Adams' art and Scott Adams' art. The majority of the artist working today could not have gotten a job with Marvel & DC in the early 80's. They simply aren't good enough.

In addition, I bought a Paul Gulacy art page at a convention. I thought it looked really nice. I went out and bought the comic it appeared in hoping to see other examples of his art. I opened the comic and the reproduction of the original art page I owned looked horrible. The crisp black lines were slightly blurred. The coloring did nothing to enhance the page. I find this to be true of many modern comics. Great art is getting ruined through digital processing.

I don't collect only superheroes. I liked Strangehaven in the 90's. I liked Optic Nerve. I'll buy anything with Ivan Brunetti's gag cartoons in them. I collect original EC comics.

I wasn't going to bash modern comics, but modern collectors insist on implying I'm ignorant about what is out there. I don't care about Peter Pan vs. Nazi's. I don't find Zombies or Vampires remotely interesting. Just about any comic that is promoted in the modern comics section of the board makes me want to vomit. That includes Spider-man dreaming/hallucinating about meeting Uncle Ben.

I have higher quality expectation. I want a comic that doesn't take six issues to tell a story that used to get told in one.

DG

I'm with you on most of that, but Walking Dead was good for a very long time. Eventually I got bored of it, but only after about 9 or 10 TPBs. It owes everything to the George Romero school of Zombie world creation: zombies have overrun the world, but people are the real problem.

It's funny: the comics I care most about, the stuff I collect, I like for the art at least 50%. But the comics that I love and recommend to people are 100% about story. When it's really really good, I don't even notice the art, if you know what I mean.