• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question re. CGC Encapsulation Process

32 posts in this topic

If my memory is correct, they do not put the microchamber paper in all books. I think I've read where people were cracking out books and not finding microchamber paper.

I have seen several books cracked out of their slabs and the amount of micro chamber paper rangers from two pieces, to one piece, to no pieces.

Thanks for validating my memory. I'm unsure if we ever got to the bottom of missing microchamber paper.

I crack out a lot of slabs, and it is alarming how many books have no microchamber paper present.

If my memory is correct, they do not put the microchamber paper in all books. I think I've read where people were cracking out books and not finding microchamber paper.

I have seen several books cracked out of their slabs and the amount of micro chamber paper rangers from two pieces, to one piece, to no pieces.

Thanks for validating my memory. I'm unsure if we ever got to the bottom of missing microchamber paper.

I crack out a lot of slabs, and it is alarming how many books have no microchamber paper present.

Didn't CGC take the microchamber paper statement off its website recently? When this topic came up a few months ago, I went back to check and couldn't find it now.

Thanks for all the replies! Glad to be here. Wow, so I don't have a warm fuzzy at all to gaurantee me that the microchamber paper will be included in my books. Next question: In you opinion(s), how crucial is it? I think the slabbing process itself affords incredible protection, but can it also "cook" the comic in its own acid gases without the paper? Or have I drunk too much of the Bill Cole kool-aid?

Also, I would love your top recommendation for archival comic supplies for a good price. I've Seen Bill Cole (very expensive), to Bags unlimited, all claiming library of congress compliance products at their high ends.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for all the replies! Glad to be here. Wow, so I don't have a warm fuzzy at all to gaurantee me that the microchamber paper will be included in my books. Next question: In you opinion(s), how crucial is it? I think the slabbing process itself affords incredible protection, but can it also "cook" the comic in its own acid gases without the paper? Or have I drunk too much of the Bill Cole kool-aid?

Also, I would love your top recommendation for archival comic supplies for a good price. I've Seen Bill Cole (very expensive), to Bags unlimited, all claiming library of congress compliance products at their high ends.

Thanks!!!

You can buy Mylars and buffered boards direct from E Gerber or from Hotflips or myself here on the boards. I also sell precut (to comic sizes) cotton microchamber paper.

Bill Cole does not sell microchamber paper and makes no claims about it.

Without microchamber paper in the slab, there is no alkaline reserve to absorb acidic byproducts of deterioration as the comic ages. It is these acidic byproducts as well as other environmental pollutants which cause yellowing and eventual brittleness of pages.

I have one slabbed with the paper hanging out of the bottom of the book. It's super annoying, would they reslab it for free less shipping charges ?

My understanding is that they don't consider the paper sticking out to be a flaw or, at any rate, won't be held responsible for the paper having moved a bit during shipment so that it is visible. I agree that it can be very annoying.