• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

#@&* ebay seller

108 posts in this topic

If this is the piece I think it is, the seller is fairly prominent on eBay. And your bid was an excellent buying price (so was your max).

The reality is that the seller can not ship the item and get a slap on the wrist at best. eBay doesn't remove users unless they are costing eBay money. Good luck with winning your piece for your bid. By all means provide the seller details if they don't follow through.

Have you thought of offering him more i.e $7-7.5k? or asking him what he wants?

Why would the buyer reward the seller with $$$ after the seller already screwed him over?

I agree in principle, and as a man of principles I would tell the seller to go fornicate himself.

The problem is, from my understanding, that the item "won" was an original piece of art i.e. one of a kind - a market of one, so unless the OP wants to buy some other piece of art, he is restricted to who he can "buy" from.

As I see it, the Op has 4 options(none are desireable) -

1. Leave negative feedback - which will achieve diddly squat and still leave the OP without the art he craves.

2. Litigation for breach of contract.(In the Uk, the OP (I think) could have issued a writ of Habeus Corpus - and gained his art that way) - way expensive and would probably involve the OP issuing an injunction against the seller to prevent him selling elsewhere.

3. Negotiate (would leave a very nasty taste in the mouth, I agree, but it depends on a) the OP's cash-flow and b) the desirability of the piece)

4. Forget about it, however annoying, and move on.

Best of luck to the OP and I feel for you buddy as it has happened to me on numerous occasions and I don't envy you

If I was the seller, I wouldn't give a flying monkey if someone left me a negative feedback - is 1 negative feedback worth $2-$10k?

If the Seller gets enough POLICY VIOLATIONS (STRIKES) and low DSRs, his days will be numbered as a Seller at eBay.

Feedback is only the window dressing. It's the DSRs and policy violations (strikes) on his selling account.

We have no idea if this Seller has pulled this tact before on other eBay Buyers.

Why would the buyer reward the seller with $$$ after the seller already screwed him over?

I agree in principle, and as a man of principles I would tell the seller to go fornicate himself.

The problem is, from my understanding, that the item "won" was an original piece of art i.e. one of a kind - a market of one, so unless the OP wants to buy some other piece of art, he is restricted to who he can "buy" from.

1. Leave negative feedback - which will achieve diddly squat and still leave the OP without the art he craves.

2. Litigation for breach of contract.(In the Uk, the OP (I think) could have issued a writ of Habeus Corpus - and gained his art that way) - way expensive and would probably involve the OP issuing an injunction against the seller to prevent him selling elsewhere.

3. Negotiate (would leave a very nasty taste in the mouth, I agree, but it depends on a) the OP's cash-flow and b) the desirability of the piece)

Best of luck to the OP and I feel for you buddy as it has happened to me on numerous occasions and I don't envy you

NOT HABEUS CORPUS...

NOT HABEUS CORPUS...

You can always send a stern letter of demand. It looks official, costs nothing and is often successful.

You shouldn't include threats and ask only what we are entitled to.

You also can't misrepresent it as a court document.

I was winning some items on eBay but had someone start bidding on the books.. Reached a price point that was really cheap for CGC SS but I wasn't into the series enough to keep bidding so I stopped. Auction ended.

Within the next hour I got an alert for new CGC SS listings, checked them out and they were the same books from the same seller.

I hate it when sellers use secondary accounts to try to up the price. Just set a minimum price or a reserve. It's a wildly_fanciful_statement tactic.

I was winning some items on eBay but had someone start bidding on the books.. Reached a price point that was really cheap for CGC SS but I wasn't into the series enough to keep bidding so I stopped. Auction ended.

Within the next hour I got an alert for new CGC SS listings, checked them out and they were the same books from the same seller.

I hate it when sellers use secondary accounts to try to up the price. Just set a minimum price or a reserve. It's a wildly_fanciful_statement tactic.

[font:Book Antiqua]Are we talking about the:

Batman: The Dark Knight SS CGC 9.8 - Signed by David Finch

That the seller relisted...?[/font]

:frustrated:

No, a different book. One I'm not collecting (I only collect Bat books) but had wanted to gift to a friend for Christmas!

I was bidding on a few Finch SS but the auction ended during the early AM here, so I slept through the crucial last few minutes of bidding escalation!! Haha. As they say, you snooze, you lose! :-)

(I know I could use a sniper tool or something but the thrill of a live auction is part of my enjoyment of buying a book I really want from ebay).

So is that finch book back listed? Odd... But potentially AWSM!!

Good News.

I have stayed in contact with the seller. I have kept everything professional and stayed away from negative comments with this seller. Things are looking better.

In my correspondence with him I am now of the belief that he simply had sellers remorse after the auction ended. He did a poor job of listing the item. He thought it would go for much more and because he hasn't sold too many items on ebay and gathered experience he didn't start it high enough or put a reserve on it to protect himself.

In a horrible blunder he put it up as a 3 day auction so not many people saw it. I looked at the page counter and it showed only 55 people looked at it.

When the auction ended he told me he was fine, but then a person emailed him with the "I tried to bid but there was a glitch in the ebay system" excuse. Whether this was a lie or truth I do not know.

This morning I emailed him to tell him I'd still like the Art if we could work something out. I asked him what the other person offered. He said $5600. (I won it for $5000)

Here's where some of you may disagree with my tactics..... I told him I've already paid $5000. I said if he sends me the Art he has my word I will paypal him an extra $600 once the art arrives safely. Remember, this is a piece I REALLY want and believe to be worth triple this price. I actually bid $7500 in the auction (and won it for $5000) so paying the extra $600 is not the worst thing in the world as long as I get the art.

He responded very positively to this. He said he was fine with me waiting to send the extra $600 until I got the Art. So...... it actually sounds like this might work out.

I, of course could screw him and not send the $600 once the art arrives (since technically I shouldn't have to do this), but I will honor my word and send him the $600 as long as the art arrives safely.

He seems to have done a 180 in attitude so I will wait for my art to come this week. I'll post a pic if I get it.

He did a poor job of listing the item. He thought it would go for much more and because he hasn't sold too many items on ebay and gathered experience he didn't start it high enough or put a reserve on it to protect himself.

In a horrible blunder he put it up as a 3 day auction so not many people saw it.

Shame on you for taking advantage of a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point.

He did a poor job of listing the item. He thought it would go for much more and because he hasn't sold too many items on ebay and gathered experience he didn't start it high enough or put a reserve on it to protect himself.

In a horrible blunder he put it up as a 3 day auction so not many people saw it.

Shame on you for taking advantage of a person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point.

Wow, r-e-t-a-r-d is not allowed. lol

This knucklehead eBay Seller will send you a Mutual Cancellation Request. If he hasn't done so already.

REFUSE to agree to cancel the transaction! Then the seller will not get their FVF fees back from eBay.

They will get a policy strike against their Selling Account.

Leave negative feedback. Be factual. Just state Seller did not honor winning bid because he felt it was too low.

Leave low DSRs accross the board. Minimum 3*s.

Report the seller to eBay!

I want to thank you guys for all of the great suggestions.

Modok, you pointed out the one idea that I think could work. I've already paid the $5000 for this artwork. That means Ebay/paypal is going to take their 10%-13% which on this auction amounts to over $500.

I will NOT agree to a "cancel the transaction" request so that means he will not get that $500 back from ebay. And THAT is a nice piece of leverage!!!

I hope the "better deal" he found from the other bidder (which he confirmed to me by the way) is more than $500 more than what I won it for.

If he doesn't change his mind, yes, I will leave a neg for him, but he doesn't have a high overall feedback score so I don't think he will care.

Right now, I have sent him 2 emails trying to change his mind, and thus far I have kept a friendly tone. If I have to send a third then I will unleash the beast lol.

I wonder how far you can go with this.

Filing a police report in your city the ebay seller would have to fly whatever state he/she currently living in and show up front of the judge? If the seller dose not show up then a arrest warrant be issue. Then the seller would be in the world of hurt.

I'm not a lawyer but would that work?

“Seller refused/unable to produce comic on payment. It’s relisted buyer beware”

He was selling it via BIN. He would take the money and then back out with a PP refund. I paid CC, he refunds via bank check. 2-weeks later it bounces. I’m out $975. PP and EBay play the game and their timetables don’t match with the time frame I have to file a chargeback. I just did a chargeback and took the decision making process out of their hands. After the Ed Heaton fiasco, I don’t rely on any of their resolution processes when screwed.

You can get negative feedback removed anyway. I was burned by a seller and Neg'ed him. Two weeks later my negative feedback was gone. How he did it, I have no idea. The seller was running a scam too. EBay seemed to support his method of business. I w

Can you describe this scam in more detail?

Are you saying that you submitted a case within 45 days from the date of payment, seller refunded via echeck that later bounced and since it was after 45 days at that time ebay said tough luck?

Also your negative was likely removed because you filed a chargeback.

In my correspondence with him I am now of the belief that he simply had sellers remorse after the auction ended. He did a poor job of listing the item. He thought it would go for much more and because he hasn't sold too many items on ebay and gathered experience he didn't start it high enough or put a reserve on it to protect himself. In a horrible blunder he put it up as a 3 day auction so not many people saw it. I looked at the page counter and it showed only 55 people looked at it.

On top of all that, he also auctioned it during the busy holiday season.

When the auction ended he told me he was fine, but then a person emailed him with the "I tried to bid but there was a glitch in the ebay system" excuse. Whether this was a lie or truth I do not know.

I think I know.

This knucklehead eBay Seller will send you a Mutual Cancellation Request. If he hasn't done so already.

REFUSE to agree to cancel the transaction! Then the seller will not get their FVF fees back from eBay.

Leave negative feedback. Be factual. Just state Seller did not honor winning bid because he felt it was too low.

Modok, you pointed out the one idea that I think could work. I've already paid the $5000 for this artwork. That means Ebay/paypal is going to take their 10%-13% which on this auction amounts to over $500.

I will NOT agree to a "cancel the transaction" request so that means he will not get that $500 back from ebay. And THAT is a nice piece of leverage!!!

I hope the "better deal" he found from the other bidder (which he confirmed to me by the way) is more than $500 more than what I won it for.

If he doesn't change his mind, yes, I will leave a neg for him, but he doesn't have a high overall feedback score so I don't think he will care.

Right now, I have sent him 2 emails trying to change his mind, and thus far I have kept a friendly tone. If I have to send a third then I will unleash the beast lol.

Filing a police report in your city the ebay seller would have to fly whatever state he/she currently living in and show up front of the judge? If the seller dose not show up then a arrest warrant be issue. Then the seller would be in the world of hurt.

No. Possession, 9/10's. Nuff' said.

No. Possession, 9/10's. Nuff' said.

NO. Possession does not absolve criminal conduct. You can't argue "possession is nine tenths" if a court has determined the goods are not yours. Imagine that reasoning applied to a thief.

Once judgement has been given, if the defendant fails to comply you can go back to the court after a set period of time and they can issues a seizure notice where an officer of the court, usually a police officer, takes the goods.

The defendant would not be arrested for a civil judgement.