• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Nirmal would have loathed the very idea of an 'institute'. He had said to me many times that he felt establishing a centre had been the worst mistake he'd ever made. 'I transformed a vibrant youth movement into a banana republic.' Where then, if no longer here, was that vibrancy and commitment to be found? I was still looking...

IMG_3114_zpsln85iwev.jpg

For almost a decade I had been helping her to build a house (and the land it sat upon) that would serve as a dance school. She and her husband had poured every rupee they had into its construction. The costs had spiraled - and I promise you, never was a dyed in the wool comic collector's resolve more repeatedly tested! (Buy a commode rather than a comic book? Whatever next?) But I finally managed to send her the last of what she needed - for a tube well - just last week.

IMG_0869_zpseuxaxic3.jpg

By the time they returned from honeymoon I had only a few days left. For years, Purnabha and I had talked about his interest in NGO's. He had volunteered for one voluntary agency that rehabilitated prostitutes for example. His ultimate goal was to set up one of his own. I suggested that maybe we should visit a local NGO with a view to exploring links with Arc, Purnabha acting as a go between. He said he knew of twelve NGO's that might serve that purpose, so I asked him to pick one. As a result we went to Ballygunge in South Kolkata.

dec08jan09-06%20353_zpsycazbmvj.jpg