• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

When I first met this skinny kid, about 10 years ago, she was in an impossible situation. Her family was destitute. She worked and studied day and night, her college grant had been cut off, she barely slept, dressed in the poorest cotton even in winter, and she recently told me that in those days she subsisted on a single chapatti a day.

010806107_zps15aad436.jpg

But please do not interpret this as humble bragging, just because I helped her. Because spiritually, my situation was far worse than hers. And I'm certain she would have found some means to save herself without me. (She was always the strong one.) When we met, I was probably drinking myself to death; and likely, dead is what I would by now be without her. And if I am living, it is largely her doing.

“You have to find what sparks a light in you so that you in your own way can illuminate the world.”

― Oprah Winfrey

010806100_zps4eaa3b60.jpg

But for now, let us celebrate Lucina...

“Up then, fair phoenix bride, frustrate the sun;

Thyself from thine affection

Takest warmth enough, and from thine eye

All lesser birds will take their jollity.

Up, up, fair bride, and call

Thy stars from out their several boxes, take

Thy rubies, pearls, and diamonds forth, and make

Thyself a constellation of them all...

Be thou a new star, that to us portends

Ends of much wonder; and be thou those ends.”

― John Donne

01080622_zps82c5dfaa.jpg