• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Georges de La Tour 1593 – 1652 is a fascinating artist who was influenced by Caravaggio before going on to develop a distinctive style based on extreme simplification of form in scenes lit by candles but unlike Caravaggio deliberately divested of melodrama.

Dapre3000s_Georges_de_La_Tour_-_Le3010ducation_de_la_Vierge_zpsc54633d1.jpg

Beautiful.

Georges de La Tour 1593 – 1652 is a fascinating artist who was influenced by Caravaggio before going on to develop a distinctive style based on extreme simplification of form in scenes lit by candles but unlike Caravaggio deliberately divested of melodrama.

Dapre3000s_Georges_de_La_Tour_-_Le3010ducation_de_la_Vierge_zpsc54633d1.jpg

Beautiful.

Yes, there are some interesting artists influenced by Caravaggio right through to the 19th Century and I'll post a few more as I think of them!

I’ve long been fascinated by mirrors and this is my sorry attempt to create the illusion. (It's shown here hanging in my last exhibition, some years ago now, and measures roughly 10'x7'.)

Childhood_zps02be3e1c.jpg

This is amazing, and seven by ten feet no less :o

Love to see more of your stuff. Is it posted here?

I’ve long been fascinated by mirrors and this is my sorry attempt to create the illusion. (It's shown here hanging in my last exhibition, some years ago now, and measures roughly 10'x7'.)

Childhood_zps02be3e1c.jpg

This is amazing, and seven by ten feet no less :o

Love to see more of your stuff. Is it posted here?

There are more of my efforts interlaced throughout the thread.

I've also just rediscovered some sketches done while working with refugees in the former Yugoslavia during the conflict so I'll post them when finished scanning to illustrate one or two anecdotes of that rather harrowing experience, still vivid in my mind after nearly 20 years.

Since one of the things this thread is about is artists who have inspired us, might be time to recap the tale of the magic shopping cart. When I was a tween in San Diego in the early 1960s I used to take the ferry from Coronado Island (where I lived) over to downtown SD to cruise the used bookstores. Lanning’s Book Shop between Ninth & Tenth on Broadway (next to a skeezy bar that fascinated and repelled me) was run by an old lady who kept a shopping cart full of coverless 1950s comics out front for a penny apiece.

Part of the magic was no matter how many comics were bought (quite a few!) the cart would be full next trip… But most of the magic was the things themselves. Crom, Ken Shannon, Frankenstein, Sniffer and the Deadly Dozen (vs Iron Jaw!), ACG horror, Atlas: a comics cornucopia of almost infinite proportions. (Don’t recall much EC or DC.)

But two books in particular towered above the rest (though it would be many years before I’d know all the details of title and issue number etc): Weird Mysteries #5 & Mister Mystery #7. In both cases the lead story did most of the ‘heavy lifting’, and both stories were drawn and presumably written by Basil Wolverton.

“Swamp Monster” & “Brain Bats”, “Brain Bats” & “Swamp Monster” – o but those 2 etched deep into my young psyche. I still feel his mighty pen carving those thick definitive lines across my mind.

A fascinating reminiscence. It's when they catch us early in life that they leave the deepest impression isn't it?

All I knew about American comics as a boy was based on the importation of Silver Age Marvel, DC, Charlton and ACG. All of which had the Comics Code Approved Logo. But sometimes an oddball comic would fall into my keeping published by a mysterious company called IW. They had a completely different feel to them and did not carry the Comics Code logo. The stories were darker, the artwork more lurid. I of course had no frame of reference for Golden Age comics. I didn't know they existed. I couldn't figure them out.

The story that made the deepest impression on me was from IW's Planet Comics #8.

45201_zps7a7b7aee.jpg

"We shall rise again" haunted me for years, especially the twist at the end! It was only many years later that I was able to track down the original publication in Planet comics #72.

Planet252072_11_zps9c1ff3cd.jpg

Planet252072_12_zps181a7fb2.jpg

Planet252072_13_zps3d13eed3.jpg

Planet252072_14_zps57cb9d02.jpg

Planet252072_15_zps13ffefb8.jpg

Planet252072_16_zpsd4b1ec35.jpg

Edited by alanna

Joseph Wright of Derby 1734–1797

Another artist who was influenced by Caravaggio. He lived during the age of enlightenment, when science and religion waged war on each other. (The French chemist Lavoisiere was guillotined during the French revolution for example.)

Wright associated with scientists and his best known works depict scientific experiments by candlelight.

wrightofderby5_zps5c03d0fb.jpg