• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

New Mutants 100 (final issue) seems to have really taken off since X-Mas. I've been tracking the X-Force books for about six months now and this one keeps going up.

Combination of last New Mutants and beginning of X-Force appears to be a winning combination.

I picked up two first prints in the last month in dollar bins and now glad that I did.

In CGC 9.8 it's now a $140 book.

hm

Any idea on the print run for this. I have a Standard catalog and it says capitol city :102,000 ordered? is this correct or where there other distribution.

Standard Catalog says Capital City was 17% to 22% for Marvel in 1990-1991.

Total print run of New Mutants #100 is likely 450,000 to 600,000.

The price guy in Wizard really became super pointless. Especially the CGC portion.

To me, they should have focused on new news and greatly expanded the financial interest. The treasure box was great (even though it was the tiniest box) and the trending charts were solid. But that was 1% of the contents.

Real content is expensive and time-consuming, while pressing "+ 5%" on their price guide program took about 2 seconds.

Once Liefeld Mania really took off, New Mutants was the best-selling book on the rack. People tend to forget that, and it's why I always liked NM 87 compared to 90-100, as this issue was before the rush, and had a much lower print run due to NM selling badly, Liefeld being an unknown and Cable really catching everyone by surprise.

It's still far from rare, but relative to the other NM issues, it's downright scarce. :devil:

Once Liefeld Mania really took off, New Mutants was the best-selling book on the rack. People tend to forget that, and it's why I always liked NM 87 compared to 90-100, as this issue was before the rush, and had a much lower print run due to NM selling badly, Liefeld being an unknown and Cable really catching everyone by surprise.

It's still far from rare, but relative to the other NM issues, it's downright scarce. :devil:

Imagine if Deadpool debuted in 87 instead of 98.

This is essentially not true.

New Mutants #87 did not have a substantially lower print run than #86-94. #95-97 had about a 50% higher print run because of X-Tinction, and then the print run went down a few percent for #98 and #99. #100 was the one and only issue that had a print run substantially higher than the rest, perhaps 500,000 copies totally. Cable didn't really "catch everyone by surprise"...it was a slow simmer from #87-#100. The entire run was completed before NM #87 was a $20 book.

And at no time was New Mutants, in its entire run, ever "the best-selling title on the rack." There was a title called "Spiderman" that was selling 10 times what New Mutants did...and then there was a title called "X-Men"...just to name two.

But yes, Liefeld was an unknown.

This has all been explained multiple times on this board already.

Imagine is Deadpool debuted in 87 instead of 98.

Imagine if Cable appears in a movie.

You mean there's a chance.... that all those shiny Cable #1 issues might actually be worth something some day?

Nope, there is no chance there, just "pre-August 1990" (i.e. Copper) appearances, and NM 87 nicely slides right into late-late-late-CA.

New Mutants #87 did not have a substantially lower print run than #86-94. #95-97 had about a 50% higher print run because of X-Tinction, and then the print run went down a few percent for #98 and #99. #100 was the one and only issue that had a print run substantially higher than the rest, perhaps 500,000 copies totally. Cable didn't really "catch everyone by surprise"...it was a slow simmer from #87-#100. The entire run was completed before NM #87 was a $20 book.

And at no time was New Mutants, in its entire run, ever "the best-selling title on the rack." There was a title called "Spiderman" that was selling 10 times what New Mutants did...and then there was a title called "X-Men"...just to name two.

New Mutants #2 was the best-selling April 1983 cover-dated Marvel title according to Marvel Age #13. The title had a brief run at the (direct-sales, Marvel only) top.

New Mutants #100 was the second best-selling Marvel title released during February 1991 according to Marvel Age #103. Spider-Man #9 was number one on the list.

New Mutants #2 was the best-selling April 1983 cover-dated Marvel title according to Marvel Age #13. The title had a brief run at the (direct-sales, Marvel only) top.

New Mutants #100 was the second best-selling Marvel title released during February 1991 according to Marvel Age #103. Spider-Man #9 was number one on the list.

Thanks for the additional notes! Unfortunately for Marvel, they were dealing with a monster DC book at the time, which also happened to have "New" in the title...

But if it were not for Spiderman, New Mutants would have (finally) been the best selling comic on the racks...for one month.

meh

Spiderman #1 is not the end of the Copper age. It is building up to the apex of the Copper Age, which was the death of Superman.

But he didn't die. It was all just a lie to get us to keep buying books. That seems a more "Modern" approach than"Copper". ;)

Nobody stayed dead from the Copper Age....

:whistle:

meh

Spiderman #1 is not the end of the Copper age. It is building up to the apex of the Copper Age, which was the death of Superman.

I've got it a little different on my personal timeline.

February 1992: First Comics officially shuts down; Image Comics puts out its first book, Youngblood #1.

End of Copper, beginning of Modern.

2c