• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

In the case of Gambit's 1st appearance and supposed cameo (we all agree X-Men Annual #14 is far from a cameo), Marvel and its production team are not going to waste time publishing a letter entitled SO SORRY WE MESSED YOU ALL UP - HERE's WHAT HAPPENED.... They don't care if the story was slightly out of synch. In the end, everything it needed to get out to the market was accomplished.

Its the fans and collectors left sorting out the details later. But it is just a strange publishing approach to have a later story become a 1st appearance when it references an earlier story. Something got out of whack there with distribution and storytelling.

My best guess is that Marvel hashed out a rough plan for releases 6-12 months ahead, with the releases in proper order. Given the way he was scattergunning concepts and subplots at the time, Claremont probably got sidetracked on a storyline, and ended up having Gambit appear in UXM 2-3 months later than the original blueprint.

I bet you are right. Best-case approach to address any concerns:

1) Collectors: Buy both books so you can read the entire story.

2) Sellers: Package them together and list it as "The entire 1st appearance of Gambit'.

:whee:

My best guess is that Marvel hashed out a rough plan for releases 6-12 months ahead, with the releases in proper order. Given the way he was scattergunning concepts and subplots at the time, Claremont probably got sidetracked on a storyline, and ended up having Gambit appear in UXM 2-3 months later than the original blueprint.

And there's no need to assume there's some sort of "messup" involved. I feel this needs to be said again: creators don't care about the aftermarket.

Their only concern is "is this a good story, yes/no, and will it sell copies, yes/no?"

I doubt the scheduling of Gambit's appearances even entered Claremont's...or anyone's...mind. He and the Simonsons plotted out DOFP, included Gambit because the story takes place after the story in 265-267, and that was that.

No error, no screwup. Nothing "came out too early", there was no "mixup at the distributor", etc. This isn't the first time such an "out of chronology" story has happened...in fact, it happened all the time ("The events in this story take place BEFORE/AFTER thus and such")...it just happened that THIS time involved the debut of one of the more popular characters created in the time period.

As people that know me in the real world will attest, I never met a dead horse I didn't enjoy beating.

But, hasn't everyone written enough about what their interpretation of a first appearance is?

There are some people on here who are persuasive with facts, and well constructed arguments, and yet, other's have their heels dug in as if this was as important as 5x or 10x powdered sugar when baking.

I wonder which is which, in your mind....

It seems to me that nobody is changing their opinion on this, and that to continue to post away just illustrates the steadfastness of those hell bent to bend the malleable to their p.o.v. Problem is, nobody's malleable.

You've neglected the fundamental point of posting these discussions on a message board, rather than in private:

The point isn't to change the minds of those debating with you.

The point is to persuade the minds of those reading, whose minds may not already be made up.

As always, the people silently reading are much, much greater in number than those actively participating. I have no interest in changing anyone's mind about anything. It's a fool's errand.

My position is to persuade and/or educate those who are reading. In that sense, challenging information that sounds reasonable, but is fundamentally flawed for not-so-obvious reasons, is paramount.

, one of the primary participants basically threw in the towel. Said they'd read all of RMA's posts, admired his passion, and said they weren't going to reply.

Now I'm curious, because I don't remember such a post...which one are you referring to?

hm

Can we please start a different Copper discussion thread and leave this one strictly to it's current heading. It's excellent topics and conversation guys but it should not be here. Thanks

No.

But thanks for asking.

Or, better yet, why don't YOU step up and contribute what you feel is appropriate.

Can we please start a different Copper discussion thread and leave this one strictly to it's current heading. It's excellent topics and conversation guys but it should not be here. Thanks

No.

But thanks for asking.

Or, better yet, why don't YOU step up and contribute what you feel is appropriate.

I agree, no one is stopping anyone from bringing up comics that are heating up.

RMA, your brilliance (and I mean that in the nicest way, a three month absence makes the heart grow fonder) is needed on another topic. This horse be dead!

These sort of posts always baffle me.

You know that no one (and this goes for all reading this) just rattles off endlessly on any subject by themselves for very long, right...?

You know that any topic that is discussed has AT LEAST 2 people involved, right...?

Why is only one person (no matter who) mentioned? Why are the others (no matter who) not included in these types of comments?

Why are people bothered about what other people want to talk about?

"You have talked about subject A long enough, time to move on to subject B!"

According to who...?

Post what you want to post. Let other people post what they want to post. If two people want to discuss the cheese that the moon is made of for 10,000 posts, what does it matter to anyone else? If it bothers you that much, put those two people on ignore, and you don't have to see anything they say.

All this desire to control people, it's very off-putting.

Dude, I tried to be nice, even reverential, recognizing your brilliance and expertise in this subject matter, but you've devoted like 50 pages to this particular topic (Gambit's first appearance). You won, ok. You won like 40 posts ago. Your arguments were persuasive, well reasoned, well researched and correct. You are on the side of truth, justice and the american way!

In the words of some Disney princess, "Let it go, let it go, let it go..." (can't remember the rest of the song). I can't even remember who you are arguing with (I am certain it was not me!), I can only remember your name. Aren't you bored with this topic? Yes, I know it is your right to muse endlessly on the same topic and putting anyone who disagrees with you (aka "is wrong") in their place, I'm all for the First Amendment, but there is so much more you probably know that I would like to be privy to. Plus, it is getting in the way of me freeloading information from other folks here about which copper age books are hot in the event I ever sell or buy comics again, which is pretty likely as I just bought some on Friday.

And yes, it's not fair to single you out, but frankly i tend to read your posts because you quote what you are responding to and it's just easier, so I really do lose track of the names of other people involved.

Edited by the blob

No.

But thanks for asking.

I just did. COPPER COMICS THAT ARE HEATING UP ON EBAY. Maybe the thread heading isn't clear enough for you.