• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

As a seller, I completely disagree on that. As a buyer, I don't blame the seller, I blame myself. Because I should know better.

But as a seller, I look at it a different way, because of how I was taught to drive: YOU are responsible for what you hit with the front of your car.

So far, we are in agreement. Even when I go to sell items I don't regularly collect, I'll at least make the effort to research the significance and events so I tell the most accurate story.

Sure, there are going to be numb skulls that wonder out into the street without looking or while texting; people slamming on their brakes, or animals that don't know better, or strollers run amok.... :eek:

Agreed. Look at all the cardies from the 90's you referenced that jumped into comics because money was pouring like water all over the place. So they took the 'me too' gamble, and jumped in buying plenty of those COLLECTOR FIRST EDITION books.

But if I just make sure I'm responsible for what is in front of my car, and do the best I can not to hit anything, then the world is a better place.

I mean isn't 'If you are going to be talked into a purchase without researching the books, you get what you put into it.' really the same thing as saying ''a sucker is born everyday'?

Is that the hobby we want? Like Baseball Card dealers?

Not really. It recognizes that a seller should not have to over-explain what books to buy or not buy. If you are going to get into a COLLECTING HOBBY that involves certain events leading to value in a book, then take the time to know that hobby and the associated books.

But that doesn't excuse a con being played.

As this hobby TRIES to grow, it always gets caught up in this garbage, and it HURTS us as a legitimate hobby. Look how much damage was done to the sports card hobby, from people creating demand.

That is not the only thing hurting this hobby. Look at the folks like Stan Lee that have made a nice sum of money because books are put in front of him to sign, whether he worked on the book or not. And he'll gladly take your money, with a big old 'EXCELSIOR' chant to boot.

And how about all the creator-signed material where they sell it directly for a premium, like Jim Lee used to do with his books. Anyone calling them out for clogging up the hobby with all that signed content to drive interest?

In our own hobby, didn't we learn our lesson's the last time from WIZARD MAGAZINE who CREATED FALSE demand, sometimes printing high demand prices on books that weren't even released yet?

Nope. Because look at now how there is an excessive amount of money pouring into this hobby again. So where there is money to be made, there is a high risk of cons and false promises.

Did it help our hobby in the long run?

No!

Now we want to just shrug our shoulders as people try to create demand for comic books that AREN'T EVEN COMIC BOOKS!!!

Who is shrugging their shoulders? Forums like this are LOADED with information and education about this hobby, for those that take the time to read it all. Now more than ever is an information boom greater than anything we had available in the 90's. So many sites out there with backstories and insider leaks, you can be tied up all day reading this material.

It's crazy.

It's crazy that people don't use the free tools available to them out there. How's that for crazy?

We'll never grow as much as we should in our hobby with a buyer beware attitude.

There is more than the standard BUYER BEWARE attitude. But there is also an expectation people that visit the internet will use it.

It recognizes that a seller should not have to over-explain what books to buy or not buy. If you are going to get into a COLLECTING HOBBY that involves certain events leading to value in a book, then take the time to know that hobby and the associated books.

But that doesn't excuse a con being played.

That's buyer beware. If someone comes into my shop and seems uninformed, I going to INFORM them. Not take advantage of their ignorance by selling them a lemon.

As this hobby TRIES to grow, it always gets caught up in this garbage, and it HURTS us as a legitimate hobby. Look how much damage was done to the sports card hobby, from people creating demand.

That is not the only thing hurting this hobby. Look at the folks like Stan Lee that have made a nice sum of money because books are put in front of him to sign, whether he worked on the book or not. And he'll gladly take your money, with a big old 'EXCELSIOR' chant to boot.

And how about all the creator-signed material where they sell it directly for a premium, like Jim Lee used to do with his books. Anyone calling them out for clogging up the hobby with all that signed content to drive interest?

Not the same thing as a con. These are the people who actually CREATE the comics, for goodness sake. They are selling something with a premium of interest - their signature and their time.

Not the same as trying to sell a PREVIEWS as a first appearance.

I've honestly never met anyone who said, "Hey Jim Lee sold me this book with his autograph for $40, I'm OUT."

Heard from plenty of people who thought Death of Superman would pay their kids way through college.

Now we want to just shrug our shoulders as people try to create demand for comic books that AREN'T EVEN COMIC BOOKS!!!

Who is shrugging their shoulders? Forums like this are LOADED with information and education about this hobby, for those that take the time to read it all. Now more than ever is an information boom greater than anything we had available in the 90's. So many sites out there with backstories and insider leaks, you can be tied up all day reading this material.

It's crazy that people don't use the free tools available to them out there. How's that for crazy?

Buyer Beware.

What you're saying is, people should know: DON'T walk into a comic book shop or go to a comic book show, WITHOUT being completely educated as far as what to buy and especially NOT buy, because you could get ripped off very easily. Too bad, you lose.

Not a very welcome message to new comers.

Sorry, I'm not going to blame the potential customers for deciding NOT to come in because of a message like that, I'm going to blame the creeps who are making the market that way.

We'll never grow as much as we should in our hobby with a buyer beware attitude.

There is more than the standard BUYER BEWARE attitude. But there is also an expectation people that visit the internet will use it.

Worst marketing campaign I've ever heard of.

You forgot 4) What some dingleberry convinces them that it's worth.

lol

You are so right on that one. Although doesn't this tie back to (2) assumed future value? It's just they were convinced by someone else 'DUDE, GRAB THIS NOW. YOU'LL THANK ME LATER!'

I mean let's face it.... no one here with experience TRULY believes a PREVIEWS preview of a character is REALLY going to be of value in the future and is a good investment. So the only reason anyone with experience would think to SELL a PREVIEWS preview of a character to someone for an outrageous price is simply to dupe someone who doesn't know better.

People can argue they're appealing to a collector's need and yadda yadda yadda, but when someone CREATES a demand, to simply take advantage of it, when they know it's NOT an item as valuable to they're selling it for.... it's bordering on a con game.

Add into it, a few shill accounts to create fake sales to falsely try and prop up the market (we know it goes on) or to come on a message board and argue for it's value (corporations do something similar, creating shill accounts to secretly join forums and promote products), then what you have is a full on con.

You are talking about how they created excitement over the demand. It still falls into three buyer-side motivators, which may be fueled by certain terms or pictures.

(1) emotional attachment

(2) assumed future value

(3) excitement at that point in time

No.

See, before ANY of those things happen, they have to create a LIE. Create the CON.

Make a couple of fake sales on eBay, then go on the CGC boards, maybe create two accounts, so that they can agree with thier other account as they argue the merits of how an AD is a first appearance, so that they can trick some comic crack addict into buying something that is really nothing.

All of the 1), 2), and 3) stuff doesn't matter. Because a con is a con.

Someone plugging in marketing terms like HOT, SCARCE, REAL 1st APPEARANCE or other statements are attempting to hit on one or more motivators.

A con artist will take a score any way they can get it. With or without the 1), 2), or 3). And much more is going on than just buzz words in an eBay listing.

But I do agree. If you are going to be talked into a purchase without researching the books, you get what you put into it.

As a seller, I completely disagree on that. As a buyer, I don't blame the seller, I blame myself. Because I should know better.

But as a seller, I look at it a different way, because of how I was taught to drive: YOU are responsible for what you hit with the front of your car.

Sure, there are going to be numb skulls that wonder out into the street without looking or while texting; people slamming on their brakes, or animals that don't know better, or strollers run amok.... :eek:

But if I just make sure I'm responsible for what is in front of my car, and do the best I can not to hit anything, then the world is a better place.

I mean isn't 'If you are going to be talked into a purchase without researching the books, you get what you put into it.' really the same thing as saying ''a sucker is born everyday'?

Is that the hobby we want? Like Baseball Card dealers?

In our own hobby, didn't we learn our lesson's the last time from WIZARD MAGAZINE who CREATED FALSE demand, sometimes printing high demand prices on books that weren't even released yet?

Did it help our hobby in the long run?

It's crazy.

Are you trying to say that we stopped doing this at some point? I don't think you can compare the way some comics are still pushed against a small part of the market that might want a preview of any comic. I think it's worse when I see people trying to force spider-gwen variants down people's throats. Are those crappy comics going to be worth anything in 5 years? Though these might be worth nothing too at least issues of Previews, Marvel Age, Requierer, Dark Horse Insider, comic shop news even some old issues of Wizard are extremely tough to find.

Edited by MrWeen

Bosco, honestly, you wrote it very well "for those that take the time to read it all": there is a very minimal percentage of people who actually read today, I mean there is not much love for truth or proper information, and so much refusal of a honest critical attitude that I must say Chuck is 100% right.

Are you trying to say that we stopped doing this at some point? I don't think you can compare the way some comics are still pushed against a small part of the market that might want a preview of any comic. I think it's worse when I see people trying to force spider-gwen variants down people's throats. Are those crappy comics going to be worth anything in 5 years? At least issues of Previews, Marvel Age, Requierer, Dark Horse Insider, comic shop news even some old issues of Wizard are actually rare.

I don’t think that was Chuck's point. He is basically saying that as much good as a criticism or fan magazine is, it’s not a comic book, and rarely a first apperance. The exceptions are minimal (maybe that San Diego book for Hellboy?).

Bosco, honestly, you wrote it very well "for those that take the time to read it all": there is a very minimal percentage of people who actually read today, I mean there is not much love for truth or proper information, and so much refusal of a honest critical attitude that I must say Chuck is 100% right.

If people aren't reading comics today then they are . As far as I am concerned we are still in a new golden age when it comes to writing sequential art.

Are you trying to say that we stopped doing this at some point? I don't think you can compare the way some comics are still pushed against a small part of the market that might want a preview of any comic. I think it's worse when I see people trying to force spider-gwen variants down people's throats. Are those crappy comics going to be worth anything in 5 years? At least issues of Previews, Marvel Age, Requierer, Dark Horse Insider, comic shop news even some old issues of Wizard are actually rare.

I don’t think that was Chuck's point. He is basically saying that as much good as a criticism or fan magazine is, it’s not a comic book, and rarely a first apperance. The exceptions are minimal (maybe that San Diego book for Hellboy?).

Dime Press 4?

Dime Press 4?

1107107.jpg

That's buyer beware. If someone comes into my shop and seems uninformed, I going to INFORM them. Not take advantage of their ignorance by selling them a lemon.

Nobody said to sell them a lemon. That's the extreme opposite of recommending they know the hobby they are now playing in. But if that is how you see it, so be it.

Not the same thing as a con. These are the people who actually CREATE the comics, for goodness sake. They are selling something with a premium of interest - their signature and their time.

Ahhh. But let's go down the path that you have taken. So someone in the know realizes how easy it is to get these signatures. Find the right show, bring the right amount of cash, and walk away with loads of books that then you tell people they can purchase the 'HARD TO FIND - RARE - STAN LEE' signature.

How can we have these people taken advantage of so easily? There should be signs hanging up 'STAN LEE WILL SIGN YOUR BANANA PEEL FOR A BUCK'.

Sure it is. Sellers do it now all over Ebay. Especially when they can get Stan Lee to sign a DC comic or something else that has nothing to do with him, and now state it is a one-of-a-kind item. All because Stan said 'Where do you need that signature?'

I've honestly never met anyone who said, "Hey Jim Lee sold me this book with his autograph for $40, I'm OUT."

How about all those 90's collectors and speculators that ordered directly from Image the rare, limited distribution, personally signed Jim Lee WILD C.A.T.S. #1's? Of course later on they said they were out - they tried to sell either to feed their collecting habit, or to turn a profit, and found out there were loads of this material going around. Not one word had to be uttered, because their financial disappearance made all the statement necessary.

Though with the cardies that were buying up loads of books leading to inflated distribution numbers, better they did leave. It was a falsely inflated market.

Heard from plenty of people who thought Death of Superman would pay their kids way through college.

And Bloodshot 1, and Turok 1, and X-Force 1, and X-Men 1, and ....

Very odd times indeed.

Buyer Beware.

What you're saying is, people should know: DON'T walk into a comic book shop or go to a comic book show, WITHOUT being completely educated as far as what to buy and especially NOT buy, because you could get ripped off very easily. Too bad, you lose.

If that is the way you read it. Meanwhile, we have threads here about every 1st appearance worth talking about, every investment worth making immediately, repeated posts about latest sales, and loads of historic details as well to tell the good and the not so good about our hobby.

Are you saying these new collectors and readers shouldn't do research as well as being treated fairly? That's not very safe advice. How could you set people up like that for potential failure?

Better to suggest not only they engage with sellers they can trust in not hyping them on the latest fad, but also point them to all the resources that are out there to educate them. Or do you think that research may not help in getting more immersed in our hobby?

Do you mean 'avoid reading about our hobby'? I totally agree. Not only should they engage with sellers that they can trust in presenting a fair statement about their comics, but also get to know that hobby as a parallel effort.

I'm surprised you don't see the value in research.

Sorry, I'm not going to blame the potential customers for deciding NOT to come in because of a message like that, I'm going to blame the creeps who are making the market that way.

The answer to this statement is 'it depends'. If they take the time to engage in the hobby, ask questions, listen, read and yes - also buy from sellers that treat them fairly - it's a safe bet they won't get burned.

I would never encourage someone to jump into any collectible hobby and not point them towards the right resources to also protect themselves through knowledge. That is just a dangerous approach otherwise to assume reputable sellers will be at every street corner to shy them away. Knowledge is power in this case!

You went sub-quote crazy, there. Better check that user manual.

:baiting:

Dime Press 4?

I know both the publisher and an editor of Dime Press, and besides not being a "first appearance" of any kind (just an Hellboy-like drawing before the book actually came out), the print run was at least of some thousand copies (it was not properly a "fanzine").

The San Diego book posted by Chuck is the one I was referring to, I think it contains a proper Hellboy story, previous to Dark Horse Presents and Hellboy #1.

And no, I wasn’t strictly speaking of comic books when I said people do not actually read. In fact, I wasn’t thinking of comics at all.

To see the value in research you have to have people which want to do research. Aside from this, research is not much useful if you are not interested to see the truth: it just goes in cycles (see what I wrote above about reading). People want to buy hyped books, no matter their content, it’s compulsive and not much intelligent although we often fall into this today.

Dime Press 4?

I know both the publisher and an editor of Dime Press, and besides not being a "first appearance" of any kind (just an Hellboy-like drawing before the book actually came out), the print run was at least of some thousand copies (it was not properly a "fanzine").

The San Diego book posted by Chuck is the one I was referring to, I think it contains a proper Hellboy story, previous to Dark Horse Presents and Hellboy #1.

And no, I wasn’t strictly speaking of comic books when I said people do not actually read. In fact, I wasn’t thinking of comics at all.

You liar!

l4JUK8a.jpg

OOPS!

:fear:

To see the value in research you have to have people which want to do research. Aside from this, research is not much useful if you are not interested to see the truth: it just goes in cycles (see what I wrote above about reading). People want to buy hyped books, no matter their content, it’s compulsive and not much intelligent although we often fall into this today.

Agreed!

I do think you want to point a new member of the hobby towards reputable sellers. But they also need to roll up their sleeves and start digging into the details the best they can, with the right resources. Otherwise...

b6x9hq.jpg

i think people are usually reading new comics they are buying off the rack at $3-$5 a pop, likely a much higher % of the copies are being read now than 20+ years ago. perhaps not the variant expensive editions and what not, but I'm pretty sure a nice chunk of the people buying Walking Dead are reading them. they aren't necessarily reading back issues/vintage stuff they are collecting, true, particularly when, gasp, actually opening them might worsen their condition!

Nobody said to sell them a lemon. That's the extreme opposite of recommending they know the hobby they are now playing in. But if that is how you see it, so be it.

Ahhh. But let's go down the path that you have taken. So someone in the know realizes how easy it is to get these signatures. Find the right show, bring the right amount of cash, and walk away with loads of books that then you tell people they can purchase the 'HARD TO FIND - RARE - STAN LEE' signature.

How can we have these people taken advantage of so easily? There should be signs hanging up 'STAN LEE WILL SIGN YOUR BANANA PEEL FOR A BUCK'.

Sure it is. Sellers do it now all over Ebay. Especially when they can get Stan Lee to sign a DC comic or something else that has nothing to do with him, and now state it is a one-of-a-kind item. All because Stan said 'Where do you need that signature?'

How about all those 90's collectors and speculators that ordered directly from Image the rare, limited distribution, personally signed Jim Lee WILD C.A.T.S. #1's? Of course later on they said they were out - they tried to sell either to feed their collecting habit, or to turn a profit, and found out there were loads of this material going around. Not one word had to be uttered, because their financial disappearance made all the statement necessary.

Though with the cardies that were buying up loads of books leading to inflated distribution numbers, better they did leave. It was a falsely inflated market.

Very odd times indeed.

Buyer Beware.

If that is the way you read it. Meanwhile, we have threads here about every 1st appearance worth talking about, every investment worth making immediately, repeated posts about latest sales, and loads of historic details as well to tell the good and the not so good about our hobby.

Are you saying these new collectors and readers shouldn't do research as well as being treated fairly? That's not very safe advice. How could you set people up like that for potential failure?

Better to suggest not only they engage with sellers they can trust in not hyping them on the latest fad, but also point them to all the resources that are out there to educate them. Or do you think that research may not help in getting more immersed in our hobby?

Do you mean 'avoid reading about our hobby'? I totally agree. Not only should they engage with sellers that they can trust in presenting a fair statement about their comics, but also get to know that hobby as a parallel effort.

The answer to this statement is 'it depends'. If they take the time to engage in the hobby, ask questions, listen, read and yes - also buy from sellers that treat them fairly - it's a safe bet they won't get burned.

I would never encourage someone to jump into any collectible hobby and not point them towards the right resources to also protect themselves through knowledge. That is just a dangerous approach otherwise to assume reputable sellers will be at every street corner to shy them away. Knowledge is power in this case!

I have no idea what you're trying to defend, other than a customer should be educated when he walks in the door of a comic shop.

And I call bull.

Hey, all of you 45-55 year olds out there who collected oh so many years ago, making' good money in your later years, ... haven''t kept up, too busy to read all the nonsense on this board as well as any others, COME ON IN TO MY SHOP..... I"LL educate you, give you some great advice. A) a PREVIEWS is not a first appearance.

Soccer moms.... looking for something for your kids but you're afraid to walk into the comic shop.... COME ON IN TO MY SHOP.... I will treat you fairly and educate you on what is good or bad for your kid and what's appropriate based upon your personal standards.

Anybody interested in comics that doesn't want to go through the hassle of reading the nonsense on this board or any others, NO EDUCATION NECESSARY - COME ON IN TO MY SHOP!

See? That's how you try and grow a business.

Very odd times indeed.

Buyer Beware.

I have no idea what you're trying to defend, other than a customer should be educated when he walks in the door of a comic shop.

And I call bull.

Hey, all of you 45-55 year olds out there who collected oh so many years ago, making' good money in your later years, ... haven''t kept up, too busy to read all the nonsense on this board as well as any others, COME ON IN TO MY SHOP..... I"LL educate you, give you some great advice. A) a PREVIEWS is not a first appearance.

Soccer moms.... looking for something for your kids but you're afraid to walk into the comic shop.... COME ON IN TO MY SHOP.... I will treat you fairly and educate you on what is good or bad for your kid and what's appropriate based upon your personal standards.

Anybody interested in comics that doesn't want to go through the hassle of reading the nonsense on this board or any others, NO EDUCATION NECESSARY - COME ON IN TO MY SHOP!

Educate me sir. Do you have any data on the print runs or Diamond Previews? :baiting:

That's because you were so busy trying to make it sound like I was saying people should be sold lemons - and all the sub-quotes - you may have missed the details.

And I call bull.

That sellers should bear the weight of protecting new comic book collectors, what with all the information streaming through the internets out there? That is bull!

Hey, we have a store advertising section in another part of the boards. No advertising violations allowed here.

Please read above.

Other than enjoying your advertising campaign, I'm confused. Are you saying these same people shouldn't invest the time in research too?

Partly. You also could have monthly club events where fun presentations are given on the history of the hobby, participating companies, and even titles and characters. We had a small store out in Colorado that did this along with raffles and other fun things. He was even able to get people from DC to come out and participate in a 'DC Creative Roadmap' presentation. It was pretty cool.