• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

I'm just saying newstand in 1985 is different than newstand in 1998 or whenever they almost stopped selling comics at newstands.

$62 just didn't seem like a lot to me and i wonder if the wild interest in the book may have been assisted by someone other than someone who wanted to purchase the book given the $26 december result. or maybe not, those anniversary issues are fun and all you need are two motivated buyers as this is a book where 9.8 slabs are not growing on trees. and that is exactly it, not a whole lot special about the book, but if you have 2 people who really want it that week.....

i would not expect the next 2 or 3 9.8 slabs of this book that get put up on ebay to generate this much interest, but i have been wrong before.

Correct ! this is from mile high web site: So early direct market books should be valued way higher than newsstand ! if your into that !

Year % Newsstand %Direct Market

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Take these numbers with CONSIDERABLE grains of salt!

:eek:

Why would those numbers be skewed? Do you have evidence that they are? :grin:

Yes.

I took these numbers with honey mustard. I used to take them with kosher salt, because it was easier to skewer them on cast iron grill.

Lets have the facts RMA , I really would like to know, As stated those where from Mile high. Whats the actual percentages?

Let's consider Chuck's 1990 figures: 85% Direct Market, 15% newsstand.

But when we look at the print run figures from a typical book...let's say, Iron Man....we find a different picture...from Iron Man #266, the SOO for 1990:

Avg. copies printed: 327,728

Avg. copies sold: 198,100

Avg. copies returned: 128,878

Now, sold copies includes all venues, Direct and newsstand.

And they don't distinguish which is which. The only absolute numbers we know are 327k for total run, and 128k, which we know are ALL newsstands.

So, if 85% of the entire market in 1990 was Direct, that means, of the 198k sold, 168k...85%...were direct, and 29k...15%...were newsstand, according to Chuck's numbers.

But wait...the total number of newsstand returns was 128k. That means, they printed 157,000 newsstand copies, and of those, 128,000 were unsold??

That's a sell-through rate on the newsstand of only 18%!

Things were getting rough for the newsstand, but they weren't THAT rough. An 18% sell-through for a mainstream Marvel title in 1990 would have been absolutely unheard of. They were much closer to 30-50% sell-throughs (remember, of the NEWSSTAND copies printed) at that time.

There are similar numbers across the board. It's not workable for 1990, and not really even for 1995. 1986, I can buy a 50/50 split, but even 1982 is questionable.

Just an FYI for you guys as I see some discussion of shadow hawk from time to time. Those of you that were / are fans might want to know that the shadow hawk video game , which was almost but not quite finished in the early/mid 90s is finally seeing a limited release tomorrow. It's over $100 but it works on your Super Nintendo and I believe it comes with a box and manual; and is limited to 100 copies. These are not my items; just a PSA

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=142264

Just an FYI for you guys as I see some discussion of shadow hawk from time to time. Those of you that were / are fans might want to know that the shadow hawk video game , which was almost but not quite finished in the early/mid 90s is finally seeing a limited release tomorrow. It's over $100 but it works on your Super Nintendo and I believe it comes with a box and manual; and is limited to 100 copies. These are not my items; just a PSA

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=5&threadid=142264

I'd play the rom.

I'm just saying newstand in 1985 is different than newstand in 1998 or whenever they almost stopped selling comics at newstands.

$62 just didn't seem like a lot to me and i wonder if the wild interest in the book may have been assisted by someone other than someone who wanted to purchase the book given the $26 december result. or maybe not, those anniversary issues are fun and all you need are two motivated buyers as this is a book where 9.8 slabs are not growing on trees. and that is exactly it, not a whole lot special about the book, but if you have 2 people who really want it that week.....

i would not expect the next 2 or 3 9.8 slabs of this book that get put up on ebay to generate this much interest, but i have been wrong before.

Correct ! this is from mile high web site: So early direct market books should be valued way higher than newsstand ! if your into that !

Year % Newsstand %Direct Market

1979 94% 6%

1982 80% 20%

1986 50% 50%

1990 15% 85%

1995 10% 90%

2000 5% 95%

2005 2% 98%

2013 1% 99%

Take these numbers with CONSIDERABLE grains of salt!

:eek:

Why would those numbers be skewed? Do you have evidence that they are? :grin:

Yes.

I took these numbers with honey mustard. I used to take them with kosher salt, because it was easier to skewer them on cast iron grill.

Lets have the facts RMA , I really would like to know, As stated those where from Mile high. Whats the actual percentages?

Let's consider Chuck's 1990 figures: 85% Direct Market, 15% newsstand.

But when we look at the print run figures from a typical book...let's say, Iron Man....we find a different picture...from Iron Man #266, the SOO for 1990:

Avg. copies printed: 327,728

Avg. copies sold: 198,100

Avg. copies returned: 128,878

Now, sold copies includes all venues, Direct and newsstand.

And they don't distinguish which is which. The only absolute numbers we know are 327k for total run, and 128k, which we know are ALL newsstands.

So, if 85% of the entire market in 1990 was Direct, that means, of the 198k sold, 168k...85%...were direct, and 29k...15%...were newsstand, according to Chuck's numbers.

But wait...the total number of newsstand returns was 128k. That means, they printed 157,000 newsstand copies, and of those, 128,000 were unsold??

That's a sell-through rate on the newsstand of only 18%!

Things were getting rough for the newsstand, but they weren't THAT rough. An 18% sell-through for a mainstream Marvel title in 1990 would have been absolutely unheard of. They were much closer to 30-50% sell-throughs (remember, of the NEWSSTAND copies printed) at that time.

There are similar numbers across the board. It's not workable for 1990, and not really even for 1995. 1986, I can buy a 50/50 split, but even 1982 is questionable.

(thumbs u Thanks. I assume that alot of those "destroyed" copies did not really get destroyed.

Hey guys, not too sure what the resolve was on the 1st appearance of gambit, but here are the scans from Marvel's circular for those months clearly showing what the shipping schedule was for those books:

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

Hope this doesnt ignite WWIII, just wanted to share my findings on this

Hey guys, not too sure what the resolve was on the 1st appearance of gambit, but here are the scans from Marvel's circular for those months clearly showing what the shipping schedule was for those books:

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

Hey, look, information that was already shared.

Neat.

;)

IMG_9484.jpg

IMG_9485.jpg

IMG_9488.jpg

IMG_9489.jpg

How about we take this into the Gambit appreciation thread so this thread can focus on tracking Ebay pricing trends? Then at least we can keep others not into the discussion from getting overly excited.

:foryou:

Someone could probably list that on ebay as first Gambit reference and score big bucks.

Maybe. All it confirms is Marvel released these books out of sequence, without my thought to the flow of the story. It still doesn't dismiss this being done mistakenly (nobody was saying someone mailed out the wrong box of books).

But could it be time for an experiment to feel out the market reaction? And this does stay on point with the thread topic, so folks should not get excited.

If someone lists an X-Men Annual #14 starting at $.99, insert something in the title to clarify this is the 1st appearance of Gambit, and include those catalog photos with some explanation. It would be interesting to see where it would end up on a 10-day listing.

Anyone have a CGC 9.6 or 9.8 you are willing to list, and try it out? And remember - 'score big bucks' could be yours.

:popcorn:

Someone could probably list that on ebay as first Gambit reference and score big bucks.

Maybe. All it confirms is Marvel released these books out of sequence, without my thought to the flow of the story. It still doesn't dismiss this being done mistakenly (nobody was saying someone mailed out the wrong box of books).

But could it be time for an experiment to feel out the market reaction? And this does stay on point with the thread topic, so folks should not get excited.

If someone lists an X-Men Annual #14 starting at $.99, insert something in the title to clarify this is the 1st appearance of Gambit, and include those catalog photos with some explanation. It would be interesting to see where it would end up on a 10-day listing.

Anyone have a CGC 9.6 or 9.8 you are willing to list, and try it out? And remember - 'score big bucks' could be yours.

:popcorn:

I don't see anything in those catalog photos that would demonstrate that they were published out of order to someone not already versed in this debate. For the uninitiated, I can't see any level of convincing one could do in an eBay listing to get someone to pay up for a 9.8 that doesn't have the notation on the label. That goes to #266. And while I'd agree that the label notation doesn't change the contents or their significance, to someone who isn't up on the details the label provides comfort that they're buying what they're looking for, even if it isn't the actual first appearance.

:shy:

I fired one of my undercopies up for a 7-day last Sunday when this all went down. I wasn't anywhere near that aggressive in the title though and I believe I referred to it as "arguably the 1st Gambit cameo" in the description. It's about 9.2. There's been more evidence that has surfaced since then but I will leave it as is. The CGC 9.6/9.8's dictate the high end market but I'll be curious to see how it fares.