• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

Solar 10 CGC 9.6 & 9.8 - still one of the craziest price gaps

When a 9.8 can sell for hundreds of dollars - and a lowly 9.6 ranges from $30-$50. I still don't get it, other than people do not appreciate these early Valiants.

I think the price gap is largely due to the effect of:

"Wow! An embossed black cover in 9.8? That must be very hard to find so I'll pay a few hundred for it.I'm sure there are plenty of copies with more than just a lone, subtle imperfection that grade out as 9.6's but a black cover book in NM/MT, I'll pay a healthy premium for that."

No to say that is not entirely true but I think the black cover makes the book fall into the "tough copper key book in super high grade" marketplace, which may or may not be an accurate assessment of the book's actual rarity in NM/MT.Nevertheless, that is reasonable justification for the pricing structure.

All black covers have always commanded a premium e.g. Amazing Spiderman # 28 (1st Molten Man,silver age).

Nobody gives a flying fiddlestick about Molten Man.It's the black cover in grade that heightens the price so drastically.

I'm not directly comparing the structural integrity of paper in a silver book to a copper book, just using this as a point of reference.

F

You said:

Lowballing a customer who comes in to sell their comics IS not the same as conning someone.

but two sentences later you say:

If you knowingly lie about something to induce a transaction (whether its about 1st appearances, restoration, etc), THAT is conning someone.

hm

You also said:

Selling for multiples of GPA is not conning someone, regardless of how much the customer knows or doesn't know.

even though you followed it by saying:

If you knowingly lie about something to induce a transaction (whether its about 1st appearances, restoration, etc), THAT is conning someone.

hm

If everyone is adults and no one lies, buy and sell at a mutually agreed upon price.

When a 9.8 can sell for hundreds of dollars - and a lowly 9.6 ranges from $30-$50. I still don't get it, other than people do not appreciate these early Valiants.

"Wow! An embossed black cover in 9.8? That must be very hard to find so I'll pay a few hundred for it.I'm sure there are plenty of copies with more than just a lone, subtle imperfection that grade out as 9.6's but a black cover book in NM/MT, I'll pay a healthy premium for that."

No to say that is not entirely true but I think the black cover makes the book fall into the "tough copper key book in super high grade" marketplace, which may or may not be an accurate assessment of the book's actual rarity in NM/MT.Nevertheless, that is reasonable justification for the pricing structure.

All black covers have always commanded a premium e.g. Amazing Spiderman # 28 (1st Molten Man,silver age).

Nobody gives a flying fiddlestick about Molten Man.It's the black cover in grade that heightens the price so drastically.

I'm not directly comparing the structural integrity of paper in a silver book to a copper book, just using this as a point of reference.

I don't know, CAK. Molten Man could certainly pop up in a Spidey movie. They need to throw in a B-List villain or two to make up for the multiple A-Listers Sony has blown through in the last few most recent movies. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.

Be careful. This may be categorized as 'discussion' on a discussion forum.

:o

I think you are right, in that a 9.8 or better of a totally black and embossed cover is so rare to find, a premium probably comes naturally.

But I've seen some gorgeous 9.6's go for $28-$38 that are just crazy prices for that book. Add to this it is a 1st appearance of a primary Valiant character, and you would think it would do much better.

Be careful. This may be categorized as 'discussion' on a discussion forum.

:o

I think you are right, in that a 9.8 or better of a totally black and embossed cover is so rare to find, a premium probably comes naturally.

But I've seen some gorgeous 9.6's go for $28-$38 that are just crazy prices for that book. Add to this it is a 1st appearance of a primary Valiant character, and you would think it would do much better.

Haha,right... just didn't want to get tangled up in semantics as far as 'discussion" is concerned ;)

I also agree that the book is a solid valiant key, no doubt....and as such, one would think (with good reason) that it should be selling for more than $50 or so in 9.6.

Buuuuuut, I think the very reason that the book doesn't do better in 9.6 is because the book is viewed as an attainable Holy grail, for valiant collectors, in 9.8 so anything less than NM/MT 9.8 is viewed as "meh, I can do better".So, a slabbed 9.6 is viewed as more of a filler copy than a 9.6 otherwise (would normally) would be viewed.

If the price point continues to drive up for 9.8's (which I don't see why it would not as newer Vailiant readers become collectors, seek out the keys and so on) . I think the pricing disparity between 9.6's and 9.8's will decrease somewhat but it will still be signifigant.

Census Numbers -

Solar #10

9.8 - 55 total

9.6 - 213 total

Helps explain the price differential.

Right.

I'd also contend that the underlying reason that the 1 to 4 ratio of 9.8's to 9.6''s exists is largely due to the problems that plague black, embossed covers.