• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,855 posts in this topic

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

(shrug)

Welcome to the thread. Nobody, that I recall, has mentioned selling. We are having a grown (sometimes) discussion on the merits of ADs / previews / 1st appearances.

Please feel free to contribute something useful to the conversation.

hm7mt.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

I understand chuck's frustration. Why are ads and previews even getting any attention? We know better and this should be a non-issue IMO...

a 90,000 print run was an extreme limited edition in 1992...

here's one that has a ton of sales that i guess was not on my radar other than being a batman book with a cool cover:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detective-Comics-566-1986-nm-Classic-Batmans-Rogues-Gallery-cover-and-story-/221680477703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339d2fa607

I have that t-shirt. Target, about 3 years ago, I believe.

Peace,

Chip

I feel sorry for the people that don't know any better that you guys hope to swindle.

(shrug)

Welcome to the thread. Nobody, that I recall, has mentioned selling. We are having a grown (sometimes) discussion on the merits of ADs / previews / 1st appearances.

Welcome to the thread? I've been here 3 years longer than you have.

As well as in plenty of other places on this forum. And I've contributed a HECK of a lot more to this forum than just information on 'copper's heating up.'

And I AM contributing something to THIS conversation. I'm calling BS on those of you who hope to pass this idea off as real information so that you can sell copies of worthless Previews for far too much money to collectors who don't know better.

The ONLY reason to fan the flames of this idea is to raise the interest in these catalogs so they can be sold.

It's dishonest.

And I'll speak out about it as much as I like.

(shrug)

As well as in plenty of other places on this forum. And I've contributed a HECK of a lot more to this forum than just information on 'copper's heating up.'

And I AM contributing something to THIS conversation. I'm calling BS on those of you who hope to pass this idea off as real information so that you can sell copies of worthless Previews for far too much money to collectors who don't know better.

The ONLY reason to fan the flames of this idea is to raise the interest in these catalogs so they can be sold.

It's dishonest.

:applause:

(shrug)

It's dishonest.

:applause:

:applause::applause:

(shrug)

It's dishonest.

:flamed:

Welcome to Coppers Heating Up thread.

Rust #1 is heating up.

(shrug)

It's dishonest.

Rust #1 is heating up.

I feel grimy just reading that.

The Malibu Sun I can see a little interest in because of some of the differences in how Spawn looks compared to what was released (if I remember correctly - maybe it was just the color palette), but some of this stuff is just ridiculous.

What's next? DC Direct Currents? Dark Horse Insider? Printed out sheets from the internet ads?

(shrug)

It's dishonest.

Rust #1 is heating up.

I feel grimy just reading that.

The Malibu Sun I can see a little interest in because of some of the differences in how Spawn looks compared to what was released (if I remember correctly - maybe it was just the color palette), but some of this stuff is just ridiculous.

What's next? DC Direct Currents? Dark Horse Insider? Printed out sheets from the internet ads?

If people want them, I don't see any problem with a market for them. I took a bit of advice from the episode of Speilberg's Amazing Stories TV show in the '80s where Mark Hamill's character was told to never throw anything away, and held on to a lot of the supplemental material that I got with my comics each week. (I think I have a Comic Shop News #1 somewhere.) Calling these things appearances of characters is disingenuous, though, IMO. I think it's generally accepted that that requires a narrative.

I took a bit of advice from the episode of Speilberg's Amazing Stories TV show in the '80s where Mark Hamill's character was told to never throw anything away, and held on to a lot of the supplemental material that I got with my comics each week.

This episode probably had a decent influence on a lot of collectors in my age range, whether they remember it or not:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511094/

(shrug)

It's dishonest.

Dishonest like someone who would selling a book, claiming it to b the first appearance of Spidey's black costume, who it's really just the first black costume in that offshoot title? Thanks for speaking out, chuck.

:gossip: I'm NOT referring to Chuck.

:popcorn:

DC Direct Currents, hahaha, no way...wait, what were we talking about?

DC Direct Currents

What it's actually sold for is a little more relevant:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=dc+direct+currents+preacher&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&LH_Complete=1

DC Direct Currents

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?rmvSB=true&_from=R40%7CR40&_nkw=dc+direct+currents+preacher&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=100&LH_Complete=1

For those that don't know... here's how the trick works.

1) Take a lame item, like this DC Direct Current featuring a recently re-rising character/book like Preacher. Try and find 10-20 of them in some old comic stores trash can that hasn't been emptied in 20 years.

2) Get together with a friend and sell one to each other on eBay for a noticeable price hike like... $14.99.

3) Relist them, under your OTHER eBay name (all of these new guys have multiple eBay accounts) or through a friend. Make sure to mark them up X5.

4) Join the CGC forum where a dozen other silly people are looking for some reason to justify actually having comic books around and start talking about how it's a 'rare' appearance or a 'first' appearance, or there's hardly any copies, or what's wrong with collecting 'stuff', blah blah blah

5) Come to each other's defense on the forum when old timers see through the scam, so it sounds like it's 'uncertain' if there's anything sketchy about it.

6) Repeat.

Instant short term market.

DC Direct Currents

For those that don't know... here's how the trick works.

1) Take a lame item, like this DC Direct Current featuring a recently re-rising character/book like Preacher. Try and find 10-20 of them in some old comic stores trash can that hasn't been emptied in 20 years.

2) Get together with a friend and sell one to each other on eBay for a noticeable price hike like... $14.99.

3) Relist them, under your OTHER eBay name (all of these new guys have multiple eBay accounts) or through a friend. Make sure to mark them up X5.

4) Join the CGC forum where a dozen other silly people are looking for some reason to justify actually having comic books around and start talking about how it's a 'rare' appearance or a 'first' appearance, or there's hardly any copies, or what's wrong with collecting 'stuff', blah blah blah

5) Come to each other's defense on the forum when old timers see through the scam, so it sounds like it's 'uncertain' if there's anything sketchy about it.

6) Repeat.

Instant short term market.

You forgot about getting bleedingcool to write about it.

That is also an integral part of the formula.