• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,856 posts in this topic

So, you see, it's not reasonable to conclude that anyone was asking...much less actually selling...New Mutants #87 for $25 or $60 in April or May of 1990, despite your protestations to the contrary.

New Mutants #87 was a "legit" $50--$100 wall book by December 1990 despite what the guides & various updates had it listed for.

My shop opened February 1st 1990 & New Mutants #87 was "THE" first Christmas list item for my shop.

Everybody wanted this book.

I suspect the real first Christmas list item for your shop that year was actually Superman #50, which caught everyone by surprise, and was an instant hit.

Nevertheless, there's a substantial difference between April/May of 1990, and December of 1990. The book was definitely on the rise.

I'm not so sure it was "$50" on the rise by that point, because none of the contemporary sources report any of that, but I won't quibble with you about that.

I was selling them for $50.

A shop twenty miles away called & asked WHY I was selling NM #87 for $50.

He claimed to be charging $100.

It was the first time another retailer called me.

Earlier that year September / October in Boston at Fred Greenbergs show, a NY dealer ( Brad? big, boisterous ) bought a table & brought nothing but a briefcase full of cash.

He put a BUYING New Mutants #87 $25ea sign on his table.

Dealers lined up & sold their copies at $25. I sold him the few dozen I brought.

I was absolutely thrilled.

When the show opened he lined all the copies in the room on his table for $50 & sold most of them.

It was epic.

After the dust settled, I remember dealers picking my brain asking what made me buy so many New Mutants #87 in the first place. It was a mess selling X book with lousy art in their opinion. Why buy it? They couldn't figure it out.

The answer was easy.

Rob Liefeld's final panel of New Mutants #86 got me so excited for the new character I spent a month prebuying copies from CBG.& prepaying at shops...

I didn't have a Diamond account at the time.

New Mutants #87 paid for one though.

Your experiences aren't reflected in any of the contemporary industry literature of the day. Again, not saying it didn't happen....but there's no contemporary reports of it, anywhere.

I don't ask anyone to trust my anecdotes. I don't think anyone else should either.

A lot of things happened, in a relatively short amount of time. Memories get fuzzy.

You would be the first person I've ever heard get so excited by a single panel torso shot of a character, with nothing else to go on.

hm

X-Tinction Agenda was one of my favorite early comic collecting stories, right up there with Batman: Year 3.

I thought it fell apart at the very end but the lead-up, including the Wolverine/Cable fight in NM 93-94, was awesome.

X-Tinction Agenda started with real promise, but, as usual with Claremont, went nowhere.

Quick: someone summarize what happened.

I can summarize Days of Future Past:

"Senator Kelly is assassinated by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, which leads to a future where mutants are ruthlessly hunted, captured, and exterminated. Future Kate Pryde is sent back in time to prevent that assassination, succeeds, and the future dystopia is averted...or, at least, postponed."

Still, though, the Jim Lee portion of the art is breathtaking, especially that shot of Gambit and Jubilee that opens up #271. The whole X-Men arc is just a visual sundae.

So, you see, it's not reasonable to conclude that anyone was asking...much less actually selling...New Mutants #87 for $25 or $60 in April or May of 1990, despite your protestations to the contrary.

New Mutants #87 was a "legit" $50--$100 wall book by December 1990 despite what the guides & various updates had it listed for.

My shop opened February 1st 1990 & New Mutants #87 was "THE" first Christmas list item for my shop.

I suspect the real first Christmas list item for your shop that year was actually Superman #50, which caught everyone by surprise, and was an instant hit.

Nevertheless, there's a substantial difference between April/May of 1990, and December of 1990. The book was definitely on the rise.

I'm not so sure it was "$50" on the rise by that point, because none of the contemporary sources report any of that, but I won't quibble with you about that.

Earlier that year September / October in Boston at Fred Greenbergs show, a NY dealer ( Brad? big, boisterous ) bought a table & brought nothing but a briefcase full of cash.

Dealers lined up & sold their copies at $25. I sold him the few dozen I brought.

When the show opened he lined all the copies in the room on his table for $50 & sold most of them.

It was epic.

After the dust settled, I remember dealers picking my brain asking what made me buy so many New Mutants #87 in the first place. It was a mess selling X book with lousy art in their opinion. Why buy it? They couldn't figure it out.

The answer was easy.

Rob Liefeld's final panel of New Mutants #86 got me so excited for the new character I spent a month prebuying copies from CBG.& prepaying at shops...

Your experiences aren't reflected in any of the contemporary industry literature of the day. Again, not saying it didn't happen....but there's no contemporary reports of it, anywhere.

I don't ask anyone to trust my anecdotes. I don't think anyone else should either.

A lot of things happened, in a relatively short amount of time. Memories get fuzzy.

You would be the first person I've ever heard get so excited by a single panel torso shot of a character, with nothing else to go on.

hm

Yes.

It certainly got allot of retailers in New England to notice me....

Tough when your the new guy.

I spec new material every week with solid mechanics built over years' but NOTHING beats my gut instincts.

If I like something, I'm never afraid to roll with it.

Epic wins...

Disastrous losses...

I love it.

Edited by LarrysComics

X-Tinction Agenda was one of my favorite early comic collecting stories, right up there with Batman: Year 3.

I thought it fell apart at the very end but the lead-up, including the Wolverine/Cable fight in NM 93-94, was awesome.

X-Tinction Agenda started with real promise, but, as usual with Claremont, went nowhere.

Quick: someone summarize what happened.

I can summarize Days of Future Past:

"Senator Kelly is assassinated by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, which leads to a future where mutants are ruthlessly hunted, captured, and exterminated. Future Kate Pryde is sent back in time to prevent that assassination, succeeds, and the future dystopia is averted...or, at least, postponed."

Still, though, the Jim Lee portion of the art is breathtaking, especially that shot of Gambit and Jubilee that opens up #271. The whole X-Men arc is just a visual sundae.

I loved the idea of there powers being taken away.

Being tortured like a non-powered person.

And the mutants being forced to fight each other. Especially against Archangel.

Patrick

It was epic.

The answer was easy.

hm

Yes.

I spec new material every week with solid mechanics built over years' but NOTHING beats my gut instincts.

Epic wins...

Disastrous losses...

I love it.

What I want to know is, why do you glare daggers at me when I come to Baltimore.

:D

Epic wins...

Disastrous losses...

I love it.

As a fan of the hobby it has to be tough at times separating personal story and character likes versus what is going to lead to sales afterwards.

It was epic.

The answer was easy.

hm

Yes.

Epic wins...

Disastrous losses...

I love it.

I had quite a load of NM 86, and was pumping it up as much as possible.

I wanted it to out strip NM 87 and MCP 72.

shop3.jpg

I think it is doing well. A dollar book? Lmfaooo...it is a 1st appearance man. You may not find her important...I do not. BUT All 1st appearances for DC are speculated at this time due to the beginnings of there cinematic Universe and the start of new "for TV series".

I think it is doing well. A dollar book? Lmfaooo...it is a 1st appearance man. You may not find her important...I do not. BUT All 1st appearances for DC are speculated at this time due to the beginnings of there cinematic Universe and the start of new "for TV series".

First appearance of who?

Ummmm, whaaaaa....?

Not really sure the 1st appearance of this character gives it much more than a marginal bump, but I've seen a decent amount of activity in general for most high-grade Pre-Crisis Bats and 'Tecs lately.

Yes you have. And you beat me to them too.

:sumo:

:baiting: