• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Luke Cage Hero for Hire # 1

22 posts in this topic

I would have guessed a VG+ 4.5. (Starting to use the numeric as well in prep for the great contest.

That was my first impression. That and being bronze VG+ is probably closer. The roll on the book is distractive...

I would have guessed a VG+ 4.5. (Starting to use the numeric as well in prep for the great contest.

That was my first impression. That and being bronze VG+ is probably closer. The roll on the book is distractive...

Yes. I mean, when you actually LOOK at the book, the main defects are two: color breaking creases and the roll. Now taken together, the first impresson may be a titch less than the defects themselves actually dictate. Which is why I adds the + to the VG.

mid grade is my weakness--- 5.0/5.5 maybe?

I am with you. I SUCK HERE. I am good with 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, but grades like this I have NO IDEA without pulling a guide. Sorry.

VG at best. Tough book to find in HG without paying through the nose for it.

I have a 9.4--9.6 at CGC amybe a 9.8, but I don't think so. I will see it in 2 months time. 893frustrated.gif

Yes. I mean, when you actually LOOK at the book, the main defects are two: color breaking creases and the roll. Now taken together, the first impresson may be a titch less than the defects themselves actually dictate. Which is why I adds the + to the VG.

That piece missing from the URC on the back will probably knock it down from the Fine category. Still, that copy is nicer than mine. I picked it up for $4. tongue.gif

HeroforHire.jpg

VG at best. Tough book to find in HG without paying through the nose for it.

I agree with Niko, VG- 3.5 at best sumo.gif

Nevermind the obvious, but that "chip" to the URBC is too big to call a chip insane.gif, and it looks like the coupon on the BC was filled out and then erased. 893whatthe.gif

Nevermind the obvious, but that "chip" to the URBC is too big to call a chip insane.gif, and it looks like the coupon on the BC was filled out and then erased. 893whatthe.gif

VG- seems a little bit harsh as Overstreet DOES state that a piece as big as a 1/4" triangle can be missing. The edges are pretty sharp (a little too sharp if you ask me) and the spine has an acceptable number of minor creases. Besides, where would that put my copy? A G+? That's a bit of an overkill.

VG- seems a little bit harsh as Overstreet DOES state that a piece as big as a 1/4" triangle can be missing. The edges are pretty sharp (a little too sharp if you ask me) and the spine has an acceptable number of minor creases. Besides, where would that put my copy? A G+? That's a bit of an overkill.

The piece missing from the BC is bigger than a 1/4" triangle. It has two sharp corners only on one side (ULBC and LLBC), in fact a little too sharp considering the wear to the rest of the book (clip? clip?) The apparent erasure would give it a PLOD.

Would I rather have yours? No, but technically it may grade higher (3.6 insane.gif)

The piece missing from the BC is bigger than a 1/4" triangle. It has two sharp corners only on one side (ULBC and LLBC), in fact a little too sharp considering the wear to the rest of the book (clip? clip?) The apparent erasure would give it a PLOD.

Would I rather have yours? No, but technically it may grade higher (3.6 insane.gif )

I have to go with my instincts and say that it would be at least a 4.0. The positives of this book would certainly make up for that little piece missing from the back. Were that piece missing from the front, then I may go lower. The apparent erasures you pointed out are probably not erasures as it is pretty obvious that he scanned through the bag. If you take a look at the printing from the rest of the advertisement, you will notice that they have the same "fading" effect that is most likely the bag.

I checked it closer and there is no erased writing on the back.

It actually was the bag.

I went to MC Comics in NJ and they had a 50% off all back issue sale

Got this one for $10

got Issue 2 (which looks a bit better , maybe 6.0) for $4

Also got Daredevil 131 ( also looks 5.0 to 6.0 ) for $10

Spent around $80 and actual cost after discount was $40

What a selection they have if you live in NJ.

That looks like a really nasty chip on the back cover just above the date stamp. That will lock it securely into the lower VG range. I'd say 3.5 VG-. If not for that chip I might have gone as high as 5.0 depending on how bad that spine roll truely is.