• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #700

316 posts in this topic

I really don't know why people are hating on this current plot. I think it's pretty good and it's doing its job...causing discussion and thoughts about what will/can happen. I mean seriously, after 50 years what else could be written that either hasn't been done already, isn't status quo...etc. Its a neat idea and will work itself out in the best interest for ASM. It last 50 years for a reason, people bought it. Just sit back and enjoy what Slott has in store. If not, just don't read it and drop it like every single other "I dropped it after Gwen died" type of person.

Let's see what they could do.

Kill off Aunt May - no, done that then reversed it.

Get Pete married - no, done that then reversed it.

Make Pete a father - no, done that then reversed it.

Reveal Spidey's identity - no, done that then reversed it.

I guess you are right, there are no new stories left to write.

As much as I respect people who enjoy the story -- "just sit back and enjoy it" is pretty condescending to other readers. I found the whole concept and execution to be a pile of garbage, there's nothing about it that is enjoyable to me after reading ASM most of my life. To each their own, I hope a bunch of people do enjoy it but it's not for me.

"Sit back and enjoy it" is an approach I've suggested as well. Any condescension attached is directed at the folks who think the story is bad because they actually think PP/Spider-Man is dead. Subtract the angst attached to that thinking, and you have just another Spider-Man story.

Frankly, the storytelling and execution is equivalent to what Slott has been doing for the last 50 issues. Either you like Slott's writing or you don't. This story is not different style-wise.

In the pantheon of worst Spider-Man stories, this isn't even top ten.

I really don't know why people are hating on this current plot. I think it's pretty good and it's doing its job...causing discussion and thoughts about what will/can happen. I mean seriously, after 50 years what else could be written that either hasn't been done already, isn't status quo...etc. Its a neat idea and will work itself out in the best interest for ASM. It last 50 years for a reason, people bought it. Just sit back and enjoy what Slott has in store. If not, just don't read it and drop it like every single other "I dropped it after Gwen died" type of person.

(tsk)

Batman has been around for 70+ years, and Snyder is doing a great job with the character.

(tsk)

Batman has been around for 70+ years, and Snyder is doing a great job with the character.

I guess irony doesn't translate too well through a keyboard. lol

As much as I respect people who enjoy the story -- "just sit back and enjoy it" is pretty condescending to other readers. I found the whole concept and execution to be a pile of garbage, there's nothing about it that is enjoyable to me after reading ASM most of my life. To each their own, I hope a bunch of people do enjoy it but it's not for me.

"Sit back and enjoy it" is an approach I've suggested as well. Any condescension attached is directed at the folks who think the story is bad because they actually think PP/Spider-Man is dead. Subtract the angst attached to that thinking, and you have just another Spider-Man story.

Frankly, the storytelling and execution is equivalent to what Slott has been doing for the last 50 issues. Either you like Slott's writing or you don't. This story is not different style-wise.

See I think the bigger issue is more that this "Death" seems gimicky and the book also marks the end of Amazing. That is just angering some fans.

See I think the bigger issue is more that this "Death" seems gimicky and the book also marks the end of Amazing. That is just angering some fans.

We all realize that at some point the standard qou will be implemented and all these changes will be reverted back right? Marvel doesn't want to miss out on Amazing Spider-Man #1000 sales. :grin:

It won't be the end of Amazing. Call it a sabbatical. That's another irrational fear, on par with thinking they've actually killed PP.

I agree with you, though. The bigger issue is the gimmick/hype approach by Marvel. If this were simply a story arc from ASM 698-710, much of this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Oddly, in Sean Howe's book about Marvel, he notes that in the early 90's, the sales department noted that sales would spike for gimmick events/covers, but then consistently drop off to below the per-gimmick levels. I guess it's a lesson that they have yet to learn. :facepalm:

(tsk)

Tough to tell from a guy who says Saga is overrated. lol

(tsk)

Let's see:

Add one science fiction/fantasy type from the last 70 years into a pot, stir in some dull characters who represent the opposite sides of the track (think West Side Story meets the Israeli-Palestine border) a future God child, some nudity and rude words and the kids will laugh it all up.

Remember - popular doesn't always = quality.

lol

(tsk)

Let's see:

Add one science fiction/fantasy type from the last 70 years into a pot, stir in some dull characters who represent the opposite sides of the track (think West Side Story meets the Israeli-Palestine border) a future God child, some nudity and rude words and the kids will laugh it all up.

lol

Trust me your not alone in that thinking on that book. Dropped after a couple of issues.

(tsk)

Let's see:

lol

Trust me your not alone in that thinking on that book. Dropped after a couple of issues.

Thank you. I thought the masses might seek me out for some kind of comic book punishment.

It won't be the end of Amazing. Call it a sabbatical. That's another irrational fear, on par with thinking they've actually killed PP.

I agree with you, though. The bigger issue is the gimmick/hype approach by Marvel. If this were simply a story arc from ASM 698-710, much of this discussion wouldn't be happening.

Oddly, in Sean Howe's book about Marvel, he notes that in the early 90's, the sales department noted that sales would spike for gimmick events/covers, but then consistently drop off to below the per-gimmick levels. I guess it's a lesson that they have yet to learn. :facepalm:

I don't think it is the end of ASM. I think this will be just like the recent end of Fantastic Four and the inception of FF. Marvel is pulling the whole gimmick again. But I don't think Slott is as competent a writer as HIckman to pull it off or that the story is as intriguing.

thats the beauty of this hobby. something for everyone.

not everyone has to like the mess that the big two put out weekly

That is what Image is here for :banana:

I like Image but they put out some krappy books as well.

(tsk)

Let's see:

lol

Outlier opinion. lol

I have not read spider-man in a while but with all the hoopla over #700 and after listening to a few podcasts about it I went to my lcs to pick up a copy. Sold out. So i broke down and bought a digital copy... unimpressed.

While the main story was good. $7.99 and only about half the 104 pages were about the the story... lame. Its like when they used to sell 100 page anniversary issues and it was one new story and the rest reprints. I doubt I'll ever buy another digital copy for that amount again without seeing it in person first.