• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #700

316 posts in this topic

I'm still curious for those that read "Spider-Men" what tech did Mysterio use that opened a portal between 616 and the Ultimate Universe....there hasn't been any follow up on this yet.

He said his name backwards.

I'm still curious for those that read "Spider-Men" what tech did Mysterio use that opened a portal between 616 and the Ultimate Universe....there hasn't been any follow up on this yet.

I think it was an accident. :makepoint:

I think it was an accident. :makepoint:

Quite the accident then. What's more shocking, doc Ock implanting his brain in Parker's body or a guy that tosses LSD in the air opening a portal to another marvel universe? lol

Every Spiderman story has been unbelievable. Some more, some less.

I have enjoyed this last one, SpiderMen was fun also.

Don't expect much going in and you won't be disappointed. Sometimes they can be fun.

Now the art on the other hand is a whole different kind of :censored: fest.

i'm just having difficulty suspending my disbelief long enough to understand exactly what happened.

But you have not problem accepting that a radioactive spider can bite someone and give them super powers? Or a gamma bomb can create a super powered person? Or some weird space radiation can give someone super powers?

What kind of tech was it- it was comic book tech!

With regards to condition of any new book, bear in mind (and anyone who has opened a Diamond box will confirm this), although it's fresh on the shelves, it's already passed through numerous pairs of hands.

The way Diamond pack boxes is to place two horizontal stacks of books side by side, each stack separated only by a single thin piece of card. Due to the way they are packed, books are prone to all kinds of bends and dings.

Add to that the multiple handlings, manufacturing errors such as spine pulls and roller damage etc, it's a miracle any 9.8's make it to customers.

This book in particular at over a hundred pages is even more likely to be vf/nm at best in most cases.

I've seen about 700 copies so far and I'm yet to see one i'd be confident to call a 9.8 and maybe only a handful at 9.6.

i'm just having difficulty suspending my disbelief long enough to understand exactly what happened.

But you have not problem accepting that a radioactive spider can bite someone and give them super powers? Or a gamma bomb can create a super powered person? Or some weird space radiation can give someone super powers?

Well i was born in the early 60s, so i've grown up accepting the inherent powers of the marvel superheroes....this is like having a friend for 50 years and finding out he's really a woman.

Well i was born in the early 60s, so i've grown up accepting the inherent powers of the marvel superheroes....this is like having a friend for 50 years and finding out he's really a woman.

That sounds like a DC book.

When I fist heard about this brain-swap saga I thought it was pretty imaginative. But then I just thought of the 1942 Universal Horror Classic movie plot for the Ghost of Frankenstein. Dr Frankenstein swaps Igor's brain with the Monsters at the end he starts to talk like Igor before a big explosion. So it's just a re-hash story thats been done before. And they always seem to find a way to turn it around... :gossip:

Not really. This is just every other comic story where the hero "Dies" and there is a rediculous gimmick to get new readers. Then the hero comes back in a blaze of glory.

This is comics.

I really don't know why people are hating on this current plot. I think it's pretty good and it's doing its job...causing discussion and thoughts about what will/can happen. I mean seriously, after 50 years what else could be written that either hasn't been done already, isn't status quo...etc. Its a neat idea and will work itself out in the best interest for ASM. It last 50 years for a reason, people bought it. Just sit back and enjoy what Slott has in store. If not, just don't read it and drop it like every single other "I dropped it after Gwen died" type of person.

As much as I respect people who enjoy the story -- "just sit back and enjoy it" is pretty condescending to other readers. I found the whole concept and execution to be a pile of garbage, there's nothing about it that is enjoyable to me after reading ASM most of my life. To each their own, I hope a bunch of people do enjoy it but it's not for me.

I do think criticism is needed however because it can help drive/motivate those that are writting but all I keep thinking if is the death threats Slott was getting over his current plot. People are so harsh to those that are the ones producing. I mean I think it's pretty insulting to say "it's garbage" when it's really something that you just don't enjoy. It's not garbage, it's story telling.

I do think criticism is needed however because it can help drive/motivate those that are writting but all I keep thinking if is the death threats Slott was getting over his current plot. People are so harsh to those that are the ones producing. I mean I think it's pretty insulting to say "it's garbage" when it's really something that you just don't enjoy. It's not garbage, it's story telling.

People making death threats on the Internet is simply ridiculous, and that's another level of idiocy that transcends any subject. Perhaps "garbage" was too harsh - it is storytelling, just very weak storytelling (in my opinion).

As much as I respect people who enjoy the story -- "just sit back and enjoy it" is pretty condescending to other readers. I found the whole concept and execution to be a pile of garbage, there's nothing about it that is enjoyable to me after reading ASM most of my life. To each their own, I hope a bunch of people do enjoy it but it's not for me.
. I agree with this take. To each their own. But for the true believers, don't forget, a huge factor in the comics implosion was comics built on hype with little substance. Bad comics were selling for crazy money because no one wanted to look inside and say the "Emperor has no clothes". I haven't read the story so I can't comment on that, but bad stories selling big is not sustainable for the hobby. However, I do think the hobby is still in good shape with great titles like Saga and Revival picking up steam and with lesser known works like those by Chris Ware getting some well deserved pub. Overall 2012 was a great year for the hobby. I think AMS 700 is a good thing too as long as we remain realistic as to what it is and what it will be. Low stakes controversy and mass media press is a good thing. (thumbs u

People making death threats on the Internet is simply ridiculous, and that's another level of idiocy that transcends any subject. Perhaps "garbage" was too harsh - it is storytelling, just very weak storytelling (in my opinion).

Yes to both of these points.