• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slot Car Racing?

16 posts in this topic

Hi folks! Anyone here into slot car racing? I was thinking of asking my wife to pick me up a set for my birthday (about two months from now) so I could share it with my 3-year old son. I was interested in the Batman racing set since he knows who Batman and Joker are, but I noticed that brand got some less than stellar reviews from Amazon. Anyone else have this set and have a good (or bad) experience with it? I wasn't looking to spend a ton on it (i.e. $100-150 or so) and those fell within that price range; however, I also don't want to get something that won't work for terribly long. I was also debating about the Carrera Lightning McQueen set since the boy really likes Cars as well.

Hello,

I know a little about vintage slot cars and sets, but not current. You are welcome to PM me any time if you have a question. I have not had time to frequent these boards lately due to overall health issues, the holiday season, and keeping up with my career. That being said, I am always happy to help where I can.

it is great to still see interest in these items as sad as it may be the days of slot cars and train sets are coming to an end. There was a time when every kid had one if these sets, but now they are no longer as popular as they once were. This is a hobby desperately in need of life. Hopefully one day collectors or enthusiasts will start to care more about the objects of the past; the objects that our parents and grandparents once loved. There is hope though. Collectibles like antique marbles, bottles, and tin toys have all been doing extremely well lately. There is a resurgence in these items. Maybe, just maybe, this will spread to other areas like slot cars and toy trains? Who knows?

Thanks for the inquiry. It brought back a lot of memories of boxes filled with Tyco slot cars, track, and the like! Happy holidays!

'mint'

I remember hearing stories about slot car tracks that looked like the one in the video below. I inherited some hand-b-down bodies and engines when I was a little kid, but there was nowhere to race them. Looks like a lot of fun.

Hey forrest, I too wanted to share my love for Slot cars with Trevor, and bought this Carrera set last year, with the added track expansion. $150 total.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/81104?promo=search

It has proved to be a success on every level so far. With the only drawback being the learning curve for a 4 year old to actually drive the car around, rather then just mash the controller full tilt and wrecking at every turn.

But even that is exciting to him.

Your son being 3, it might be a bit advanced. But it would last for years, and he could grow into it. Everything in the set is quality, for entry level, and Hammacher Schlemmer has a lifetime guarantee policy if you are every dissatisfied for any reason.

And let's face it, you get to play with it until he takes over.

Or you could spring for this Porsche $125,000 version, if you really love him.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/12005?promo=search

I remember hearing stories about slot car tracks that looked like the one in the video below. I inherited some hand-b-down bodies and engines when I was a little kid, but there was nowhere to race them. Looks like a lot of fun.

The older stuff, in my opinion, is some of the best. While some of this stuff will always be worth something; a lot of these items have taken a 'hit' over the last few years as more 'boomers' sell off their collections to a less then enthusiastic younger generation. This scene has also started to play out in the vintage train market as well, with only rare and truly mint pieces bringing record prices. Unfortunately, these prices are still nowehere near their once record highs. Much like a lot of great collectibles that are past their prime; these items definately could use a dose of nostalgia to help remind collectors and enthusiasts that some individuals still do collect these items.

Will model trains and slot cars be destined to be 'obselete' in a world obsessed with action figures and video games? Only time will tell...

PS: As I alluded to earlier, it is nice to see someone start a thread on these great collectibles!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

The older stuff, in my opinion, is some of the best. While some of this stuff will always be worth something; a lot of these items have taken a 'hit' over the last few years as more 'boomers' sell off their collections to a less then enthusiastic younger generation. This scene has also started to play out in the vintage train market as well, with only rare and truly mint pieces bringing record prices. Unfortunately, these prices are still nowehere near their once record highs. Much like a lot of great collectibles that are past their prime; these items definately could use a dose of nostalgia to help remind collectors and enthusiasts that some individuals still do collect these items.

Will model trains and slot cars be destined to be 'obselete' in a world obsessed with action figures and video games? Only time will tell...

PS: As I alluded to earlier, it is nice to see someone start a thread on these great collectibles!

Kind Regards,

'mint'

From what I understand, the tracks were hand-made out of wood with routed out grooves and metallic tape. There were even drag strip tracks where weight, power and traction were everything. Evidently, this could quickly become a complex and expensive hobby.

Just found there's a place not more than a few miles from my house where they have some sets like this and allow for competitive slot car racing. They even rent the place out for holidays. I might have go check it out some time.

And Kenny--thanks for the link! I'll be sure to look into it. And Noah's a pretty quick 3 1/2, so he should probably do "okay" with it (though I'm sure a car WILL no doubt fly off the track more often than not!-)

Just found there's a place not more than a few miles from my house where they have some sets like this and allow for competitive slot car racing. They even rent the place out for holidays. I might have go check it out some time.

And Kenny--thanks for the link! I'll be sure to look into it. And Noah's a pretty quick 3 1/2, so he should probably do "okay" with it (though I'm sure a car WILL no doubt fly off the track more often than not!-)

Wow...you are lucky.

I wonder if there are still manufacturers for that style and scale.

Take some pictures if you can.

Slot car tracks started to make a come-back when my boys were young (1980's & 90's) and I bought them cars, controllers and various other paraphernalia. I think there might still be one left in my old town. But even after the attempt at a resurgence, I think a lot of the tracks didn't do very well as most seemed to have closed down. I think video games are stealing their audience. But I love me a good slot car race. The track I used to go to had a drag track too. I loved watching the old-timers bring their "rigs" to race on it. They were some hard-core dudes.