• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speed Comics #31 on ebay!

7 posts in this topic

I saw this book in the Sparkle City auction and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the book. I collect mostly Timelys but really like the cover and it does seem to be rare with only two copies graded on a 9.0 and the 4.0. If anyone has any input I would like to hear it.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Comics-31-CGC-4-0-RARE-Classic-Schomburg-Hitler-Nazi-Harvey-Golden-Age-/380542848413?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item589a1f0d9d

Cool book - impressive price so far, but it's probably the most sought after issue in the run, and while I don't put too much stock in the census count as the last word on rarity, only two copies would indicate it's not that easy to find.

I see Heritage has only one copy in their archives - a raw 1.5 with decent eye-appeal that sold for $287 w BP 3 years ago.

I'm pretty sure a boardie owns the OA. I bought the 1.5 on HA, and frankly, I'd rather have it than this "4.0".

It's a very tough book that is rarely offered, so I'm not surprised at all by the price. Shortly after I bought my copy another was offered up in similar shape and brought a similar price.

I'm pretty sure a boardie owns the OA. I bought the 1.5 on HA, and frankly, I'd rather have it than this "4.0".

That 1.5 looks like a shrewd buy in retrospect. Well done. As for the 4.0 - "one piece of tape on interior cover" usually means a reinforced staple and the Bonnets stamp is a minor distraction, but it's still a decent looking copy for the grade. I'm sure whoever snags it will be happy to finally have a copy.

I see this same copy was binned raw for $1295 on ebay just three weeks ago.

Speed is an interesting title, which seemed to go through a lot of changes in it's run. The mid run with it's scarce digests, classic covers ( Schomburg and otherwise) seems to always be in demand, while the early issues seem almost a bargain in comparison, and the later post-war issues plentiful and cheap.

That 1.5 looks like a shrewd buy in retrospect. Well done. As for the 4.0 - "one piece of tape on interior cover" usually means a reinforced staple and the Bonnets stamp is a minor distraction, but it's still a decent looking copy for the grade. I'm sure whoever snags it will be happy to finally have a copy.

I see this same copy was binned raw for $1295 on ebay just three weeks ago.

Speed is an interesting title, which seemed to go through a lot of changes in it's run. The mid run with it's scarce digests, classic covers ( Schomburg and otherwise) seems to always be in demand, while the early issues seem almost a bargain in comparison, and the later post-war issues plentiful and cheap.

It is a really fun run. It's a nice overview of the GA as it went from Sci-Fi to WW2 superhero to post WW2 vagrancy with the digests thrown in the middle. If the prices on the run weren't so crazy I'd love to put it together.