• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there such a thing as an 'open' board?

73 posts in this topic

also, I think you were referring to Jay Parrino's first "post" only to be never heard from again as a key player who was "run-off" Well, it turned out he was using us and that "personal letter to the boards" was a third party press release...

There was that one other BSD train wreck...

Still, looking around at the number of former and present OS advisors, major dealers, BSDs and the like that are still present and accounted for, I think the two that have been "run off" are more than compensated for by the dozen(s?) that still remain.

Joe Serpico did a quick 1 post hit & run in defense of Vinny. Wasn't run off, welcomed in fact. I think most of these BSDs would much rather lurk than associate with us common folk. Expect Tripps, he's cool. He epitomizes what a BSD can contribute to the forums. thumbsup2.gif

Good thread. Thanks, e.

I've also been here a long time and have very few posts compared to most. I hit the boards daily (never as a lurker 893naughty-thumb.gif) to read what's happening and comment from time to time on my incredibly narrow interests (SA Marvels and FF original art). I also like the idea that there is a big "comic community" out there somewhere, and, for what it's worth, I'd like to be a part of it. That's why I post, that's why I'll be attending the ComicCon dinner in Chicago, that's why I read the Boards a lot. Feel free to let those inside jokes remain "inside" (please! 893frustrated.gif), or if not, post a question saying "What's that all about???" Don't be afraid to dive in head first if you'd like to feel more connected.

Is there such a thing as an open board? I don't know. My guess is that a board like this is only as open as the people who choose to post on it.

Dan grin.gif

I'm just a newbie and have screwed up half my posts, but the education I am getting, well, I almost feel like I should pay to be here (almost I said, dammit!).

I enjoy going back and reading old threads and basically just trying to get a handle on what I am doing and want to do in this newfound hobby of mine.

I hope the board remains just as it is, hijacking and all!! thumbsup2.gif

I agree that as a newbie, it's intimidating to post or start a thread. But, the analogy to a large party is a good one. Just find a conversation that interests you, see if you can add to it, and start to build a relationship.

Everyone I've talked to on these boards are friendly, open people, and at least here, you know everyone shares a common interest in comics. Give it time and effort, and the wealth of knowledge and sense of community will shine through. This is definitely a great board.

I'm just a newbie and have screwed up half my posts, but the education I am getting, well, I almost feel like I should pay to be here (almost I said, dammit!).

I enjoy going back and reading old threads and basically just trying to get a handle on what I am doing and want to do in this newfound hobby of mine.

I hope the board remains just as it is, hijacking and all!! thumbsup2.gif

welcome back. please stay and talk with us, tell us a story, what got you started in comics?

I don't plan on leaving, I'm in for the long haul, lest JC gets tired of me and makes me leave!

hm, I like the idea of an intro thread for us newbies and non-posters. Maybe that will help us to feel more comfortable in posting.

Course, then I wouldn't be able to hi-jack this thread!!

I don't plan on leaving, I'm in for the long haul, lest JC gets tired of me and makes me leave!

hm, I like the idea of an intro thread for us newbies and non-posters. Maybe that will help us to feel more comfortable in posting.

you can do just about what you want in these threads just remember the rules of the game.

JC is always right,Major Khaos is a sweet fun loving little prankster, and all wiil be well.

you can do just about what you want in these threads just remember the rules of the game.

JC is always right,Major Khaos is a sweet fun loving little prankster, and all wiil be well.

You forgot the third most important one...

When it comes to artists....Byrne is the MAN!! thumbsup2.gif

You forgot the third most important one...

When it comes to artists....Byrne is the MAN!! thumbsup2.gif

Me Bad foreheadslap.gifYesByrne cloud9.gifangel.gifflowerred.gifcloud9.gif

I came here and started posting and immediately got into trouble.

27_laughing.gif I fondly reminicse about the hard time I gave you over your views on restoration and actually without your knowledgeable responses to my tired anti-fogie attacks, I probably wouldn't have developed the respect that I have for you now or even given Golden Age and restored books a chance in my collection. Pov, you had me at "Hello, you 893censored-thumb.gif" flowerred.gif27_laughing.gif

I see some truth in what your saying. Some people seem to be infatuated with their post counts...

No kidding, there's one self-absorbed individual who even goes as far as to brag about it in his avatar. mad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifgreggyavatar.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

The only thing more pathetic is this individual's obsession with the number of stars under his name foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif I fondly reminicse about the hard time I gave you over your views on restoration and actually without your knowledgeable responses to my tired anti-fogie attacks, I probably wouldn't have developed the respect that I have for you now or even given Golden Age and restored books a chance in my collection. Pov, you had me at "Hello, you 893censored-thumb.gif" flowerred.gif27_laughing.gif

You have Golden Age books in your collection???

I see some truth in what your saying. Some people seem to be infatuated with their post counts...

No kidding, there's one self-absorbed individual who even goes as far as to brag about it in his avatar. mad.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifgreggyavatar.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

The only thing more pathetic is this individual's obsession with the number of stars under his name foreheadslap.gif

Or his obsession with short shorts & girly comics. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

If you only based posts on merits and experiance only it would scare off alot more collectors that want to join. Yes it would be very informitive but eventually very dull.

I remembered when I joined and posted for the first time, I was welcomed by the first and only forum member Supapimp, talk about feeling you are on the outside looking in blush.gif.

It takes a long while for members to break the ice, some longer than others crazy.gif, but once you are tolerated it is a pretty good feeling and a great place to be.

This place is very infomitive, you get to chat with good honest people that usually have the same pation about your hobby, you find honest graders,(and warnings about others). Its funny as [!@#%^&^] sometimes in here, sometimes dull but in general there is always alot happening, remember variety is the spice of life.

PS OT I want to finally thank Supa for officially welcoming me here and breaking the ice.

thumbsup2.gif

A few bondage/Jungle chick comics frown.gif

thumbsup2.gif

A few bondage/Jungle chick comics frown.gif

Great stuff. I love all that Fiction House GGA!!!!

POV make a great point, this is a place to learn, it's an evolution. a learning curve built in.

That's my problem, I open mouth and insert foot. I should learn to lurk longer.

Also like POV, I didn't quit posting. I'm not a shrinking violet, and don't scare easily. Once that rocky start was behind me, I found it to be a lot of fun. But then, I participate. And if you think it felt closed to you, I was basically talking my way into a boy's club (and I'm not just female, I'm a DC fan!)

As a female I'm used to abuse and condescension. But I'm not a thornless rose either. (I won't even mention my piddling pile of Archies that I saved from the crayons and scissors of smaller siblings)

The boards are in essence, my office water cooler. My pattern has been to check in fairly often, especially if there is a hot topic I am interested in. To me, it definitely is a community. It has never occured to me to wonder why someone else spends more or less time on the boards. The only reason I notice post totals is probably because I'm a stat freak, with some OCD mixed in. I also could tell you how many books total I've read since 1976. Or what Cleon Jones batted in 1969. Strange but true.

AHA! This is why I feel a kinship with Redhook! OCD! And also because I work at home and spend too much time here.

If you see value here in learning about the comics market, prices, good stories, convention reports, etc etc etc, just keep speaking up.

That's why I'm staying.

I agree that as a newbie, it's intimidating to post or start a thread. But, the analogy to a large party is a good one. Just find a conversation that interests you, see if you can add to it, and start to build a relationship.

Helps if you have a drink in your hand acclaim.gif

It takes a long while for members to break the ice, some longer than others , but once you are tolerated it is a pretty good feeling and a great place to be.

This place is very infomitive, you get to chat with good honest people that usually have the same pation about your hobby, you find honest graders,(and warnings about others). Its funny as [!@#%^&^] sometimes in here, sometimes dull but in general there is always alot happening, remember variety is the spice of life.

Tolerated would be fine with me.

When I sold my business I thought I could kick back and enjoy life a little.

But circumstances dictated I had to go back to work. I found my little niche in selling comics. And I have come to love it. And when I found this board my appreciation of the art and literary form grew. And even though the Book of Khaos states; Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors comics; I find myself casting lusty glances at DiceX ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #46 VARIANT! CGC 9.4.

And yea though I walk in the shadow of poverty I say "I will never be hungry for comics again!"