• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First 3 Watchmen covers in Feb HA

154 posts in this topic

I was never a fan of the artwork from Watchmen. Clearly it was all about the story as no one seems to be clamoring for any of Dave Gibbons' non WM art.

Have you tried to buy a page from Superman Annual 11 lately? :whistle:

How about no one seems to be clamoring for any of Dave Gibbons' non-Alan Moore art. hm

That's true for most (if not all) of Moore's artist collaborators. Some OA is collected purely for the art, but most OA is collected on the strength of the project or property. No one's clamoring for any of Tony Moore's non-WALKING DEAD art, or Charlie Adlard's non-WALKING DEAD art, or David Mazzucchelli's non-Miller art, or (relatively speaking) Steve Ditko's non-ASM/Strange art, Dave Cockrum's non-X-MEN art...these are off the top of my head, but I'm sure we can come up with a long list if we tried.

I would LOVE to own any Ditko Blue Beetle artwork or Creeper covers. In fact most pre-1970s Ditko art is of great interest to me - regardless of the publisher . . .

. . . and Ditko's work for the Warren mags is absolutely amazing!

Outside of the Marvel stuff, there doesn't seem to be a great deal of (known) Ditko 1950s or 60s art for those of us who love his art to clamor for.

Felix had started a great thread a few years ago about what if Liefeld drew Watchmen ........

....There would be more appearances by male genitalia than there would be of feet.

Felix had started a great thread a few years ago about what if Liefeld drew Watchmen ........

lol! What a memory you've got...

Was there a consensus? I don't think Liefeld WM art would be as sought after and thus, not worth nearly as much as Gibbons', but I'd probably still want a page. And I can't stand Liefeld!

From Moore's prime '80s period, I'd say the least appealing artists he worked with were Chuck Beckum and Rick Veitch from MIRACLEMAN (surprisingly, Beckum was handpicked by Moore). And even Beckum and Veitch MM art has value.

what a great concept. Even better than seeing that art would be seeing Moore's -script (which is very heavy on direction to artists). "Panel 1: we see Rorscach's feet... remember Rob, we have to see the feet. They cannot be hidden behind a wisp of smoke, or a boulder. He should not be on tiptoe. The feet need to look natural and be planted to the ground...."

what a great concept. Even better than seeing that art would be seeing Moore's -script (which is very heavy on direction to artists). "Panel 1: we see Rorscach's feet... remember Rob, we have to see the feet. They cannot be hidden behind a wisp of smoke, or a boulder. He should not be on tiptoe. The feet need to look natural and be planted to the ground...."

lol

well to this member of the peanut gallery for these covers (can't afford it and not what I'd buy with the money anyways) - I would say this is an exceptionally difficult set of covers to guess the ending price on.

But if I had to guess I'd say

#1 225k

#2 75k

#3 40k

but it could just as easily be half, or double

Bronty off the money :tonofbricks:lol