• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First 3 Watchmen covers in Feb HA

154 posts in this topic

Color guide: 25K

There will be hype and madness and more hype and emotion on auction day for these but:

Hysterically Hysterical Hysteria aside....if that color guide goes for $25k then the Killing Joke page should go for about $3.75 million on relative value alone. lol

Color guide: 25K

There will be hype and madness and more hype and emotion on auction day for these but:

Hysterically Hysterical Hysteria aside....if that color guide goes for $25k then the Killing Joke page should go for about $3.75 million on relative value alone. lol

+1

Call me crazy, but since this may be the most influential comic of the past half century, I'm thinking this hits the $400-500K range.

The past half century covers almost everything from the very early silver age to the present. I am not sure those early 60's books didn't make the rest of the whole she-bang possible.

Call me crazy, but since this may be the most influential comic of the past half century, I'm thinking this hits the $400-500K range.

The past half century covers almost everything from the very early silver age to the present. I am not sure those early 60's books didn't make the rest of the whole she-bang possible.

Sure, but on a mass level, I'm sure most comic writers, casual readers, and even folks not even into comics have heard or or know a thing or two about Watchmen. The book brought a level of legitimacy to comics that a lot of the hero books didn't. Time Magazine listed it in their collection of greatest novels of all time.

Not to say Spider-man and some of the other stables which came from the 60's aren't relevant. Just saying, there's some gravitas to Watchmen that may make bring some broader appeal besides the typical comic art fans. This will be mainstream news once it sells, regardless of price.

I won't be surprised if the #1 cracks $250k...it's just too iconic and the way things have been going bananas price-wise, anything is possible for a piece of this magnitude. Whatever the price, it will be fun to watch, nonetheless.

Didn't realize it was only 10x15. That may bring it down a tad...

:gossip: That's image area. 10x15 is the image area for most modern art on 11x17 art board.

Whatever the ending price, I think that level of influence is a definite overstatement

Ahh, yes. I've been brainwashed into thinking that's small. Lots of modern artists are doing 8 1/2 X 14 now, and I got my wires crossed. Thanks!

I dont own any art newer than about 1995 or so, so I might be wrong but I should think that 8.5 x 14 would just be 1-up (same size as published page, ie image area of about 7 x 10.5 or whatever). The 10 by 15 image area art (on 11 by 17 board) is 1.5-up, silver/golden art 2-up, or image area of something like 21" by 14".

The factor of image area dimensions to published dimensions (ie 1/1.5/2) is probably the easiest way to keep it straight. Most comic art will fit into one of those three factor categories

Whatever the ending price, I think that level of influence is a definite overstatement

I'm not even a die hard Watchmen fan, but name another comic as highly regarded and mainstream? It created an entire sub-genre and made graphic novels a thing. Time put it on the same list as Grapes of Wrath. The comics are iconic in a different way that spider-man, FF and others were. Not sure how anyone can argue that?

Thats one pov. Another would be that you are talking about a 12 issue series with a lame aliens ending that is far from the authors' best work.

For my money I like all of these better from that approx time period, just to list a few:

DKR

Wolverine mini

Miracleman

Saga of the swamp thing

V for vendetta

Killing joke

Sin City

The last half century also includes the first app of spidey for goodness sake ( well ok its outside the window by six months) plus iron man, daredevil, etc etc

I'm not even a die hard Watchmen fan, but name another comic as highly regarded and mainstream? It created an entire sub-genre and made graphic novels a thing. Time put it on the same list as Grapes of Wrath. The comics are iconic in a different way that spider-man, FF and others were. Not sure how anyone can argue that?

And where would that put "The Grapes of Wrath" original cover art then? $2 million? lol

Most comic book people only see things from a comic book world perspective. Just because WM made some Time magazine list doesn't mean WM is really that important in the grand scheme of things or make the #1 cover a half million dollar item. If someone buys into this kind of hype/nonsense and pays a half million dollars for it, then they and the cover belong together. Good luck to them.

I agree. When Watchmen came out, there was a ton of hype that went with it. I remember looking at the cover and thinking "not too impressive". Between the so-so story and mediocre artwork, I found it hard to get into. Of course this is just my opinion and I know there are a ton of fans that love everything about the series. I more prefer stuff like Adam's artwork on Batman along with the stories.

When Watchmen came out, there was a ton of hype that went with it.

I don't know what kind of hype you mean, but I read it in my dorm at college and picked it up on word of mouth from friends. I remember it built momentum well until by issue 8 or 10 all of the guys in the dorms reading comics were reading Watchmen. I think the hype came later after the collection and the Moore split from DC. It built sales on merit and became a bit of a surprise seller in trade form from what I understand, and then came the hype. Dark Knight, Perez Wonder Woman, and Byrne Superman got a lot of talk before they happened from what I remember but Watchmen caught me by surprise.

Most comic book people only see things from a comic book world perspective. Just because WM made some Time magazine list doesn't mean WM is really that important in the grand scheme of things or make the #1 cover a half million dollar item. If someone buys into this kind of hype/nonsense and pays a half million dollars for it, then they and the cover belong together. Good luck to them.

What makes anything in our hobby worth something? What makes ASM #328 worth $657K? What makes an ACTION #1 8.5 worth $500K more than an ACTION #1 8.0? We're way past any real world justifications for "worth" now. This cover, like every other lot, especially the high-profile lots, will sell for whatever someone decides to pay. Which is also why I won't even bother guessing what it will sell for-- if anyone comes close, it just means they got lucky. May as well throw a dart, the way the market has been the last couple of years.

When Watchmen came out, there was a ton of hype that went with it.

I don't know what kind of hype you mean, but I read it in my dorm at college and picked it up on word of mouth from friends. I remember it built momentum well until by issue 8 or 10 all of the guys in the dorms reading comics were reading Watchmen. I think the hype came later after the collection and the Moore split from DC. It built sales on merit and became a bit of a surprise seller in trade form from what I understand, and then came the hype. Dark Knight, Perez Wonder Woman, and Byrne Superman got a lot of talk before they happened from what I remember but Watchmen caught me by surprise.

that was my experience as well... I didn't really hear much about it til the series was over. First format I read it in was the limited ed. hardcover which wasn't even out until.. what six or twelve months after the series wrapped?