• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The... Young Avengers???

61 posts in this topic

I don't get it. Why such hostility?

Eveyone [!@#%^&^] about kids not reading comics but when Marvel seems to be putting out a book aimed at a younger market,you [!@#%^&^] about it.

Does it sound stupid to me? As a thirty plus year reader of the Avengers it does. But if I was 13,it just might appeal to me.fifteen years ago,when DC announced, first, The Young All-stars and then Infinity Inc,long time DC fans were offended. Both series turned out to be fairly good until post-Crisis continuity problems screwed them up big-time.

Maybe you won't like The Young Avengers.

But maybe your son or younger brother will.

Eveyone [!@#%^&^] about kids not reading comics but when Marvel seems to be putting out a book aimed at a younger market,you [!@#%^&^] about it.

Does it sound stupid to me? As a thirty plus year reader of the Avengers it does. But if I was 13,it just might appeal to me.fifteen years ago,when DC announced, first, The Young All-stars and then Infinity Inc,long time DC fans were offended. Both series turned out to be fairly good until post-Crisis continuity problems screwed them up big-time.

Sorry I don't understand your logic. No one here seems to think its a good idea and you seem to care little for the fact that Marvel continues to destroy tradition and long standing runs of their core books. It was bad enough that they did the stop and start with the Thor and FF series and now they are doing it again with Thor. I could care less if some 10-year kid likes it because when they have to cancel it a year from now and have lost a bunch of long term loyal fans that have been carrying them for years what will they say then? Oh but it was very creative and we were able to reach a few hundred new kids. 893frustrated.gif Give me a 893censored-thumb.gif break. makepoint.gif

The current decision makers at Marvel are a bunch of [!@#%^&^] and I hope they are gone before their continue to destroy their bread and butter, the stuff I remember reading as a kid. Are you sure you can't understand why there is hostility or are you just taking a contrarian's position?

Sorry I don't understand your logic. No one here seems to think its a good idea and you seem to care little for the fact that Marvel continues to destroy tradition and long standing runs of their core books. It was bad enough that they did the stop and start with the Thor and FF series and now they are doing it again with Thor. I could care less if some 10-year kid likes it because when they have to cancel it a year from now and have lost a bunch of long term loyal fans that have been carrying them for years what will they say then? Oh but it was very creative and we were able to reach a few hundred new kids. 893frustrated.gif Give me a 893censored-thumb.gif break. makepoint.gif

The current decision makers at Marvel are a bunch of [!@#%^&^] and I hope they are gone before their continue to destroy their bread and butter, the stuff I remember reading as a kid. Are you sure you can't understand why there is hostility or are you just taking a contrarian's position?

(He's a Yankees fan. gossip.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif )

This is what I don't understand-what long erm fans are you talking about? Marvel ended The Avengers with issue 500. The third time they have ended an Avengers series.

Now they are rebooting/relaunching it.Should long time fans be upset about this? I don't know. I'm not. If the new series is good,I'll be happy,if it sux,I won't.

I'm not a long time fan of The Young Avengers,nor is anyone else.Its a new concept that no-one knows anything about.Is it geared for the readers of The Avengers? or is it geared for a younger crowd?

Can't there be an Avengers geared for older readers and a different book geared for younger readers,if that indeed is what they intend? It wouldn't be the first time thats happened.

If the book runs only a single story-arc but then convinces is readers to pickup the Avengers comic,would it have been a failure?

As far as I'm concerned,the last ten years of Marvel continuity blows anyway,so if the people in charge were to ditch it all and start over,it couldn't be any worse than what we now have.

I don't know how old you are nor how long you've been reading comics,but can you really expect anything or anyone to stay the same as when you were a kid? Do you listen to the same music you did as when you were a kid? Read the same books? Should the Avengers always stay the same as when you were 14? How about when I was 14?

Did,in your opinion,the 15year old Peter Parker in the Ultimate spider-Man destroy the 30ish Peter Parker in Amazing Spidey?It didn't in mine. I enjoy most of what I've read of the Ultimate Universe,certainly much more than Marvels New Universe that they tried to foist on its readers a generation ago.

From a business point of view,Marvel needs to do something. With most titles selling less than a third of what they did ten years ago,they obviouly have not been able to maintain its older core of fans,has it?

Sorry I don't understand your logic. No one here seems to think its a good idea and you seem to care little for the fact that Marvel continues to destroy tradition and long standing runs of their core books.

This book may have absolutely nothing to do with the current Avengers book and probably doesn't unless Marvel is willing to completely and totally rewrite the history of the Marvel Universe.

If it's a stand alone project in a universe all it's own, what's the harm in trying to appeal to the younger crowd? You may not like it. I may not like it. But there could be a untapped crowd out there that does......

It was bad enough that they did the stop and start with the Thor and FF series and now they are doing it again with Thor. I could care less if some 10-year kid likes it because when they have to cancel it a year from now and have lost a bunch of long term loyal fans that have been carrying them for years what will they say then? Oh but it was very creative and we were able to reach a few hundred new kids. 893frustrated.gif Give me a 893censored-thumb.gif break. makepoint.gif

You're confusing two completely separate issues. The Avengers reboot is a mistake in my opinion and done not to generate new fans but to cater to speculation money.

Young Avengers, if it is a standalone universe.....we don't know what it is yet, will be a new title along the same theme and does nothing to damage the Avengers mythos proper. So essentially old timers have no reason to complain as the title doesn't effect the mythos as they believe it is and isn't geared towards grabbing their money every month.

Hostility is fine when focused on the appropriate target. This isn't one in my opinion and makes fanboys look like the obsessed geeks they are portrayed outside the medium.

Jim

I think the relaunch of the Avengers is a good thing -- and as long as this "Young Avengers" doesn't interfere too heavily with mainstream Avengers continuity, I see nothing wrong with it. It's just a comic book... and comic books have, over the years, tried different and new things... if it doesn't work, it can always be rewritten.

Personally, I agree with most of the sentiments already offered -- it's a terrible idea to have "teenage" Avengers. I'm sure I'll flip through it on the stands.

I like a lot of what's going on with the Avengers right now and I think the revamp of the Avengers could be good -- something a little different than the traditional roster change. Marvel, as usual as of late, seems to have gone waaay off track. Say what you will about Jemas (and was sort of a nut) without him helping to helm Marvel, I've noticed Quesada has not managed the ship quite as well without him. Marvel seems to be going more and more astray.

How long before we have another change of leadership?

<< This is what I don't understand-what long erm fans are you talking about? Marvel ended The Avengers with issue 500. The third time they have ended an Avengers series.>>

It actually ends with #503. #500 is the start of the final arc.

<

I'm not a long time fan of The Young Avengers,nor is anyone else.Its a new concept that no-one knows anything about.Is it geared for the readers of The Avengers? or is it geared for a younger crowd?>>

Actually, the Avengers is not being rebooted/relaunched: it is being discontinued. The new title is New Avengers.

<< As far as I'm concerned,the last ten years of Marvel continuity blows anyway,so if the people in charge were to ditch it all and start over,it couldn't be any worse than what we now have.>>

This is exactly what Marvel is hoping people will feel.

<< Did,in your opinion,the 15year old Peter Parker in the Ultimate spider-Man destroy the 30ish Peter Parker in Amazing Spidey?It didn't in mine. I enjoy most of what I've read of the Ultimate Universe,certainly much more than Marvels New Universe that they tried to foist on its readers a generation ago.>>

I also enjoy the Ultimate universe, but it looks more and more like Marvel wants to end the regular books and revert to the Ultimate universe as the "new" Marvel Universe.

<< From a business point of view,Marvel needs to do something. With most titles selling less than a third of what they did ten years ago,they obviouly have not been able to maintain its older core of fans,has it? >>

And perhaps this is partially because of all the relaunches? Wouldn't the sales increase for Avengers if a top notch writer is put on it like Bendis, without reverting to cheap tactics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the actual "business point of view" is that Marvel wants their Marvel Universe team to be more movie-friendly. We shall see...

I am so glad I don't buy Moderns anymore. I'd rather burn my money than support this kind of crapola. 893applaud-thumb.gif

DC/Vertigo is making some really, really good books! I barely look at the Marvel wall any more. (And I should have stopped a long, long time ago.)

I am so glad I don't buy Moderns anymore. I'd rather burn my money than support this kind of crapola. 893applaud-thumb.gif

DC/Vertigo is making some really, really good books! I barely look at the Marvel wall any more. (And I should have stopped a long, long time ago.)

Powers is a Marvel book now. Other than that I agree completely. DC blows Marvel away in the new comics department. Y, Fables, Swamp Thing, JSA, JLA........... all rock the house. thumbsup2.gif

Powers is a Marvel book now. Other than that I agree completely. DC blows Marvel away in the new comics department. Y, Fables, Swamp Thing, JSA, JLA........... all rock the house. thumbsup2.gif

I think I'm done with Powers... It concluded, and that was enough. I wasn't particularly invested in the characters and I don't know that there is enough in the "superhero crime" genre to keep me interested.

I was enjoying "Runaways" and... was that it? 27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

But ALL of those DC books you mentioned are good (with the exception, IMO, of JLA)... but you can't forget 100 Bullets!!

I think I'm done with Powers... It concluded, and that was enough. I wasn't particularly invested in the characters and I don't know that there is enough in the "superhero crime" genre to keep me interested.

I was enjoying "Runaways" and... was that it? 27_laughing.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

But ALL of those DC books you mentioned are good (with the exception, IMO, of JLA)... but you can't forget 100 Bullets!!

Can't forget 100 Bullets or HELLBLAZER!!! 893frustrated.gif

JLA's getting better, 100 was pretty good. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

JC sums it up best. I still purchase a select amount of moderns but I can see myself moving away from them (again) because Marvel has no leadership, weak artists and even worst writers. How does relaunching a series increase sales? Maybe for one issue or two issues but what kind of long-term value are they really going to bring? Its just so desparate its painful.

Call me a fanboy all you want but I'm not going to apologize if I'm passionate about series I grew up and loved. I'd be interested to hear what Stan Lee feels about all this relaunching sh%t, I'm sure he thinks its nonsense.

JC sums it up best.

Not really, it's a blanket statement & an indictment of all things modern. There are alot of sweet moderns out there, some of the best ever IMHO. If you don't buy any, you're really missing out.

I know next to nothing about Young Avengers, so I'll reserve judgment if/when I read the first issue.

I thought Avengers #500 was a pretty good read. Even though there will be a title change to New Avengers, I don't expect there to be that much of a radical change in the basic premise of the series when all is said and done. Nobody stays dead in the Marvel Universe (except Uncle Ben - so far), and there have been many personnel changes in the Avengers over the years. You know the old saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Regarding continuity - I don't like it when a previous story is contradicted, but I understand the need for comic books to not be overly self-referential in order to gain new readers. You can't expect the current audience to have read and be familiar with the last 40+ years of Marvel history. We should absolutely care about bringing in new readers in if we want to pass this great hobby on to the next generation, and the biggest turnoff is not understanding what the heck is going on.

If you think about it, though, continuity in long running comics is kind of an oxymoron anyway. Does anyone get upset today that Nick Fury is/was a WW II vet, or that the Fantastic Four were beating the "commies" to outer space when they were exposed to cosmic rays? The very origins of many characters have been negated by the simple passage of time. Why is this OK? Because the archetype of the character is what is most important, and their stories have the most impact and relevance when they are set against a contemporary backdrop.

I believe in character growth and development as long as the writers stay true to what a character symbolizes. The perfect example of this is the Marvel Ultimate titles. I like Ultimate Spider-Man because Peter Parker still embodies what that character was originally meant to be. On the other hand, I don't care for The Ultimates because the characters have been stripped of their essence, or their personality flaws magnified to the point of becoming antithetic.

My 2 cents,

-Jim

If people are so unconcerned with continuity maybe they should just reboot the Avengers after every story arc is over? All this rebooting [!@#%^&^] is ridiculous. How about some continuity to the Marvel universe? Take the core titles, stop [!@#%^&^] with them and let them be. I was interested in starting to pick up the Avengers, I definately am NOT interested now.

Brian

There are alot of sweet moderns out there, some of the best ever IMHO. If you don't buy any, you're really missing out.

Exactly!!!

As BOC and Khaos have already stated, Vertigo is where to find the great books of today.

I've already recommended a few titles to you (Preacher comes to mind 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif), but you seem content to whine about the lack of quality that Marvel continues to produce. Why don't you make the switch???

I used to read (almost exclusively) Marvel titles before I left the hobby. Upon my return, I started getting recommendations from my shop about good reads. Hardly any Marvel books were recommended to me.

[That's one thing I'll say about my LCS, they may not get the nicest copies of new books, but how many people have their shop recommend "The One" or "Maxi-Mortal" instead of the ultimate rip-off of those two books, "Supreme Power"? Sorry, I got a little off-track here, but I've been wanting to say this since I read the first SP trade sign-rantpost.gif]

JC sums it up best. I still purchase a select amount of moderns but I can see myself moving away from them (again) because Marvel has no leadership, weak artists and even worst writers.

So stop reading [!@#%^&^] Marvels [edit to add] exclusively.

Add Superman/Batman, and remove JLA. JLA has sucked for the past year or so. I hear Kurt Busiek is taking over JLA soon, so chances are that title will be better smile.gif

Add Superman/Batman.

That's a fun book.