• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just submitted my first CGC order

54 posts in this topic

Maybe try Pre-Screen for 9.8?

I thought about it, but I only had 10 books to submit, and the website seems to say that you had to submit more to qualify for the pre-screen service. Is there a minimum?

We'll see about how the books come back. With older comics, I don't have alot of confidence on grading since there's so many variables. But with modern comics, if it looks perfect, it seems that there's a good chance for a high grade. That's not to say finding a perfect copy is easy. Today I went to my local store and browsed the racks, and I didn't see many new comics that I'd say were perfect. Typical flaws were stress marks along the spine, especially around the staples, as well as some dings or indents on other parts of the covers.

For the 10 books I submitted, they're all in very good shape (the covers look perfect, no stress marks that I could see). I got them on ebay over the holidays and was frankly shocked at how good they are. But I hear what everyone says about surprises, and I'm prepared for less than I hope.

Your first order is an eye opener. Good luck... See you back here in June when you get back your books.

I don't know why a lot of people always seem to say this. My first sub had four 9.8's and three 9.6's out of ten books subbed and only one of them was post 1980 (shrug)

Do not expect your books back anytime soon. Do expect some real surprises... since you are expecting nigh the highest grade there is, expect bad surprises.

Yep. Prepare for massive butthurt if you are expecting 9.8s.

And you will be waiting longer than the posted turn-around times. Alot longer.

Good luck.

Not really - modern FT is around 13 business days right now (vs. the 10 business days posted on the site).

You're right on the money about the grades, though - that first modern submission is always a real eye-opener :eek:

I am not finding turn around times to be a problem (with FT) either. My most recent modern FT received by CGC on 12/10 shows shipped 12/28. 12 days with holiday. The books actually were received at the USPS 12/29. So the very 13 days mschmidt states.

Best of luck on the grades.

I stand corrected regarding TAT's. I haven't submitted anything other than onsite in more than a year. I just figured with all the whining and crying regarding TAT's over the past year+ that all books were included.

So, am I to gather that modern tier moves quicker?

Not that it affects me either way, but why would modern tier move quicker than any other age? That doesn't make any sense to me.

(shrug)

The modern tier has always had faster turn around times than economy and value. As to why - well - maybe someone with CGC would like to weigh in. But I ascribe to the commonly held belief that CGC wants to encourage the submission of modern books. They charge less to grade them and turn them quicker.

I thought about it, but I only had 10 books to submit, and the website seems to say that you had to submit more to qualify for the pre-screen service. Is there a minimum?

We'll see about how the books come back. With older comics, I don't have alot of confidence on grading since there's so many variables. But with modern comics, if it looks perfect, it seems that there's a good chance for a high grade. That's not to say finding a perfect copy is easy. Today I went to my local store and browsed the racks, and I didn't see many new comics that I'd say were perfect. Typical flaws were stress marks along the spine, especially around the staples, as well as some dings or indents on other parts of the covers.

For the 10 books I submitted, they're all in very good shape (the covers look perfect, no stress marks that I could see). I got them on ebay over the holidays and was frankly shocked at how good they are. But I hear what everyone says about surprises, and I'm prepared for less than I hope.

Pre-screening is a common suggestion on the boards - but people tend to forget that you need a 50 book submission to qualify. It's a great idea - but not practical for everyone.

Do not expect your books back anytime soon. Do expect some real surprises... since you are expecting nigh the highest grade there is, expect bad surprises.

Yep. Prepare for massive butthurt if you are expecting 9.8s.

And you will be waiting longer than the posted turn-around times. Alot longer.

Good luck.

Not really - modern FT is around 13 business days right now (vs. the 10 business days posted on the site).

You're right on the money about the grades, though - that first modern submission is always a real eye-opener :eek:

I am not finding turn around times to be a problem (with FT) either. My most recent modern FT received by CGC on 12/10 shows shipped 12/28. 12 days with holiday. The books actually were received at the USPS 12/29. So the very 13 days mschmidt states.

Best of luck on the grades.

I stand corrected regarding TAT's. I haven't submitted anything other than onsite in more than a year. I just figured with all the whining and crying regarding TAT's over the past year+ that all books were included.

So, am I to gather that modern tier moves quicker?

Not that it affects me either way, but why would modern tier move quicker than any other age? That doesn't make any sense to me.

(shrug)

The modern tier has always had faster turn around times than economy and value. As to why - well - maybe someone with CGC would like to weigh in. But I ascribe to the commonly held belief that CGC wants to encourage the submission of modern books. They charge less to grade them and turn them quicker.

The only reason they are cheaper to submit / faster turnaround is because they are easier to grade.

Pre-screening is a common suggestion on the boards - but people tend to forget that you need a 50 book submission to qualify. It's a great idea - but not practical for everyone.

Yeah, I have 5 years of Walking Dead books from #49 - current that I've been piling up. Damn skippy when I submit it will be with the prescreen. Which reminds me, I need to go ahead and get this done, zombies won't be the rage forever.

The only reason they are cheaper to submit / faster turnaround is because they are easier to grade.

Not really, unless they are skipping things like counting pages and checking for resto. I'm sure they skip on PQ for those most part for anything made in the last 5 years. Is it known that they skip parts of grading the physical structure because it's a Modern?

I remember my first CGC submission.

What an...eye opening experience that was.

It would have been less painful to stack the money up in a pile and set it on fire. :facepalm:

It would have been less painful to stack the money up in a pile and set it on fire. :facepalm:

and so, what did you learn? :shrug:

It took me about a half dozen submissions to get a 9.8. lol

I was so clueless. :cry:

It took me about a half dozen submissions to get a 9.8. lol

I was so clueless. :cry:

I still don't understand what that grade means. Not like it is defined anywhere.

Not really, unless they are skipping things like counting pages and checking for resto. I'm sure they skip on PQ for those most part for anything made in the last 5 years. Is it known that they skip parts of grading the physical structure because it's a Modern?

Yeah, comics should take roughly the same time to grade regardless.

Of course it'll take longer to grade a GA book or an Annual. They have more pages. But, I was never under the impression that CGC didn't use the same process grading one age over another.

Yeah, comics should take roughly the same time to grade regardless.

Of course it'll take longer to grade a GA book or an Annual. They have more pages. But, I was never under the impression that CGC didn't use the same process grading one age over another.

Right. Please convince us it takes less time - and therefore should cost less money - to grade ASM 200 (Jan 1980) than ASM 199 (Dec 1979). ASM 200 is even a double size book. But even if we skip ASM 200 and go to issue 201 - there is no difference in the books (199 and 201) Printed the same way on the same paper at the same printing plant and produced by the same company.

Basic principle of private business: You don't set prices based on what it costs to provide the goods or services. You set prices based on what it's worth to the consumer. It's worth less to the consumer to get modern books graded because with exceptions they aren't worth as much. CGC charges progressively more to grade more expensive books because it's worth progressively more to the consumer to get those books graded. Any increase in costs associated with grading older, more expensive books we can safely assume is minimal. Otherwise CGC would charge by page count.

I thought I'd give updates on how fast CGC is on grading these books.

Day 1 (1/7) - 10 books arrive at CGC -- I requested Modern fast track

Day 2 (1/8) -- CGC has the status as Verified. They've correctly listed all 10 comics, including the variant designations (they corrected my designations which were off a tad)

Day 9 (1/16) - Status changed to Graded! So CGC only took 9 business days to grade the comics, less than the current 10 day turnaround time.

But the grades are not available -- the web page says: Grades are not displayed until submission ships.

I think this is new. In my last order I could see the grades before shipment.

Day 9 (1/16) - Status changed to Graded! So CGC only took 9 business days to grade the comics, less than the current 10 day turnaround time.

But the grades are not available -- the web page says: Grades are not displayed until submission ships.

The turnaround time is measured from when the books have been received till they're shipped out again (not just till when they're graded) ... But, yeah, CGC instituted a policy change recently so grades aren't available till they're marked "shipped/safe".

It will take another week before they ship and you can see the grades, so they're behind.

so your the one hogging the encapsulation machine... Smiley_Shake_Fist_by_Mirz123.gif