• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Restoration of Marvel Mystery Comics #57

15 posts in this topic

I'm considering sending this book out for restoration. I've been told that getting it pressed will eliminate the spine roll and make the book lay flat and tight. I'm curious if anyone on the board has had any experience with pressing and what people think overall.

marvelmystery.jpg

First of all..

Welcome to the CGC board.. hi.gif

Might I ask what your intentions would be if you do indeed press the book?

While I am no restoration expert.. and cannot correctly answer your pressing question..

I will ask...

Do you intend to keep the book.. unslabbed.. to view for yourself?

If yes.. then I would not bother with pressing it , considering the other flaws to the book, just enjoy it as a reader..

But if your goal is to restore the book totally.. then pressing is only one of the things you will be faced with.

As I said.. I am no expert on GA, or restoration.. others here can offer better advice.

Either way.. nice comic.. thumbsup2.gifand good luck.

893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Z

A very nice book, certainly a worthwhile restoration candidate. thumbsup2.gif However, you may just want to get it slabbed in it's current condition. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif It depends on what you wish to achieve. juggle.gif

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Pressing will only correct a few of the issues present on this book. Obviously, it all depends on your end game and of course, your wallet.

If you can elaborate on what you want, I'm sure some of the fine people here on this board can direct you further on your quest.

Good luck!

I'm thinking about getting it slabbed and I'm wondering if pressing the comic would result in the dreaded purple label. Does any one have a sense of what constitutes "restoration" in the eyes of the graders? By the way, thanks for the welcome. This board is great!

I'm thinking about getting it slabbed and I'm wondering if pressing the comic would result in the dreaded purple label. Does any one have a sense of what constitutes "restoration" in the eyes of the graders? By the way, thanks for the welcome. This board is great!

Even if you press it, the book won't grade much higher if you submit it because of the corner creases, tears, chips, rusty staples, and other wear.

If it were mine and I wanted to keep it, I'd get it restored up to VF, including cleaning the staples. But that's just me. confused-smiley-013.gif

If it were mine and I wanted to keep it, I'd get it restored up to VF, including cleaning the staples.

I'd get at least the structural aspects taken care of, including, yeah, the staples either cleaned or replaced with same age staples. Then I'd see how much more it would cost to get the aesthetics done. Nothing says lovin' like a Marvel Mystery that looks really nice.

Thing is, the book looks like it has good restoration potential. Great color and overall pretty complete.

Ok, I sent this book off to Classics Incorporated in Dallas for restoration today. I'll post a scan of the book when it comes back so people can see the before and after view.

OK - did you have any preliminary conversation with them? If so, what did it entail? Under what condition did you send the book off? Am not familiar with Classics Incorporated.

Ok, I sent this book off to Classics Incorporated in Dallas for restoration today. I'll post a scan of the book when it comes back so people can see the before and after view.

It would be nice to press out that spine roll and center the book properly. Maybe you could do just that and still get way with a blue label? Let us know how it goes. Isn't restoration expensive?

I had a preliminary conversation with Classics Incorporated and sent them a scan of the book. Based on a review of the scan, they recommended just pressing out the spine roll (~$75). That said, I asked them to take a look at the book when it arrives and let me know if there's any other work they would recommend. I've never sent anything out for restoration before, so this is really a trial run for me.

OK - did you have any preliminary conversation with them? If so, what did it entail? Under what condition did you send the book off? Am not familiar with Classics Incorporated.

That's Matt Nelson. New company name. gossip.gif

I had a preliminary conversation with Classics Incorporated and sent them a scan of the book. Based on a review of the scan, they recommended just pressing out the spine roll (~$75). That said, I asked them to take a look at the book when it arrives and let me know if there's any other work they would recommend. I've never sent anything out for restoration before, so this is really a trial run for me.

Sounds like you did it right the first time! This will be a very interesting thing to see - look forward to a scan of the finished product!