• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wolverine's 30th Year on Oct., the month Hulk 180 came out?

26 posts in this topic

Why do we have to keep going through this? 893frustrated.gif

Regardless of some last-panel cameo, Hulk 181 is the first full appearance, and the accepted major key where Wolvie is concerned. These are comics with fictional characters, not real live hospital births.... remember that.

Regardless of some last-panel cameo, Hulk 181 is the first full appearance, and the accepted major key where Wolvie is concerned. These are comics with fictional characters, not real live hospital births.... remember that.

Unless, of course, the characters first app. is in a hospital...when it was born! grin.gif

But, his FIRST appearanc is Hulk 180. It seems like Hulk 180, 181 are flipped in value compared to Amazing Spider-Man #50,51

"Newbies" are allowed to bring back stuff we talked about years ago. How else are the "oldies" gonna' impress them with how much we know. 893applaud-thumb.gif

....and in answer to your question (to show you what I know) ...the answer is no. Marvel has no idea what it's doing. crazy.gif

It seems like Hulk 180, 181 are flipped in value compared to Amazing Spider-Man #50,51

How does that comparison work? confused-smiley-013.gif

ASM #50 is not a Kingpin cameo, but a FULL appearance. In Hulk 180, Wolverine appears in ONE PANEL, hence is a cameo.

Wolverine appears in ONE PANEL, hence is a cameo.

Careful or Arnold will get on your case. 180 is not a cameo. To be a cameo the character has to be well known when that appearance has been made. It is just what you said - a one-panel 1st appearance. Or a one-panel "debut" perhaps. But not a cameo!

Wolverine appears in ONE PANEL, hence is a cameo.

Careful or Arnold will get on your case. 180 is not a cameo. To be a cameo the character has to be well known when that appearance has been made. It is just what you said - a one-panel 1st appearance. Or a one-panel "debut" perhaps. But not a cameo!

foreheadslap.gif Lets not get into the definition of the word 'cameo' again. My point is that Hulk 180 is not a full appearance, therefore should not be as highly prized as Hulk 181.

Lets not get into the definition of the word 'cameo' again.

Well stop saying "cameo" and you'll never here from me again! In fact, looking threw this thread, I realize that at least too observations are pretty valid. Yes, the thread is so bright I have to shield me eys from the glare of the son! grin.gif

the definition of the word 'cameo'

Main Entry: cam·eo

Pronunciation: 'ka-mE-"O

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural -eos

Etymology: Middle English camew, from Middle French camau, kamaheu

Date: 15th century

1 a : a gem carved in relief; especially : a small piece of sculpture on a stone or shell cut in relief in one layer with another contrasting layer serving as background b : a small medallion with a profiled head in relief

2 : a carving or sculpture made in the manner of a cameo

3 : a usually brief literary or filmic piece that brings into delicate or sharp relief the character of a person, place, or event

4 : a small theatrical role usually performed by a well-known actor and often limited to a single scene; broadly : any brief appearance

- cameo adjective

- cameo transitive verb

thumbsup2.gif

Well stop saying "cameo" and you'll never here from me again!

What do you suggest as an alternative?

"One panel only first appearance" doesn't quite trip of the toungue so nicely does it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

a usually brief literary or filmic piece that brings into delicate or sharp relief the character of a person, place, or event

There you go, Arnold is wrong, there doesn't have to be a prior appearance to qualify. grin.gif

Well stop saying "cameo" and you'll never here from me again!

What do you suggest as an alternative?

"One panel only first appearance" doesn't quite trip of the toungue so nicely does it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like "debut" myself for a first appearance. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

a usually brief literary or filmic piece that brings into delicate or sharp relief the character of a person, place, or event

There you go, Arnold is wrong, there doesn't have to be a prior appearance to qualify. grin.gif

More frantic internet searches reveal:

Dictionary.com

a. A gem or shell carved in relief, especially one in which the raised design and the background consist of layers of contrasting colors.

b. The technique of carving in this way.

c. A medallion with a profile cut in raised relief.

2. A brief vivid portrayal or depiction: a literary cameo.

3. A brief appearance of a prominent actor, as in a single scene of a motion picture. Also called cameo role.

Film Def:

A brief but memorable role that usually appears in only a few scenes and with few speaking lines. Prominent actors are typically cast in these parts.

Freesearch:

a small but noticeable part in a film or play, performed by a famous actor:

I STILL like DEBUT. For two reasons:

1) even IF "cameo" becomes accepted as a small role, it has nothing to do with the appearance. Wolvie could have a Cameo in Hulk 8,975!

But there is only ONE debut! thumbsup2.gif

Not to get fully off the Wolverine subject here, but would you consider UXM #201 the first app. of Cable? He was there in baby form...but he was there. (OS puts a "?" as to it being the first app.)

BTW - def of "debut":

A first public appearance, as of a performer.

I think that works rather well? And do not think I am an Arnold fan!

I STILL want to see a reply as to whay RARE is up to 20 copies and SCARCE is 20-100 - and want to know what hppens to a book with 20 copies!

And also want an answer to the whole stupid "fantasy/supernatural/horror terms which allows EC to have the first horror comic rather than Eerie #1 1947. mad.gif Arnold. mad.gif

Not to get fully off the Wolverine subject here, but would you consider UXM #201 the first app. of Cable? He was there in baby form...but he was there. (OS puts a "?" as to it being the first app.)

First appearance of Cable as a baby...not Cable as the character. Big difference.