• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Joe Kubert great ??

137 posts in this topic

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this guy. He spanned as huge a career as Kirby. Acomplished an incredible body of work....from the Golden Age until pretty recently. Did a zillion covers for the DC war books, plus Tarzan, and almost anything else that needed to meet a deadline.

But still..... his work can be kinda sketchy and ugly sometimes.

Some beautiful stuff and some horrendous stuff.

Comments ?

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

He certainly was able to capture action......

rock140.jpg

or stillness.......

rock245.jpg

and make it a tense moment, which is great for a cover. Alot of sales were generated by Kubert I bet

Kubert is meh to me. :eyeroll:

Though I do like him more than Kirby or Ditko.

So who do you like?

Frazetta, Jones, Wrightson, Davis, Wood, Ingels, Kaluta, Corben...

Kubert is one of the all time greats. Like any of the old-timers who was incredibly prolific under a deadline, the quality varies, but when he was on, he was ON. I love Kirby as well, but some of his work is extremely sloppy, more so than Kubert's weaker efforts.

Joe Kubert was agreat artist and a nice guy to boot,you would aiways be welcomed at his school.We from the silverage of comics grew up on Kubert.Kirby ,Ditko.Kane, Anderson.Infantino.Those men were great artists who started what would be to come in the comic world and Joe was one of them!

I think his art is perfect for war comics: grimy and gritty with real men trying to kill each other. His work on Hawkman stands out as well. And he drew the art in the Army PMCS manuals; how cool is that? I think he's a legend.

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

That's kind of what I think too. There's some things that his style really compliments - Hawkman, war comics - but when he did Batman.... :eek:

or Kamandi .... :(

So who do you like?

So, a horror fan then?

So who do you like?

So, a horror fan then?

Jones ?? like in Jeffery ? hack hack koff koff wretch ..... :baiting: