• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets see those BIG 10 centers and still 10 Centers

280 posts in this topic

It was the end of an era. :o The ten cent comic was soon to be extinct, and to top if off DC Comics "telegraphed" that fact with the "STILL 10 C" and then the larger "10 C" boldly printed on the cover. I had not paid too much attention to the order, but it seems it would have been more logical to have the big 10 cents on the cover before still 10 cents. (shrug)

ATTENTION Marvel fans:

Bring on the Marvel/Atlas circle 10 books :headbang:

Fans of Charlton books;

The Charlton's oblong quadrilateral books. are ok also. :applause:

1961 comic books are welcome in this thread! :grin:

I will lead this off with the Challengers.

CHALL_20.jpg

It was the end of an era. :o The ten cent comic was soon to be extinct, and to top if off DC Comics "telegraphed" that fact with the "STILL 10 C" and then the larger "10 C" boldly printed on the cover. I had not paid too much attention to the order, but it seems it would have been more logical to have the big 10 cents on the cover before still 10 cents. (shrug)

I will lead this off with the Challengers.

CHALL_20.jpg [/quote

Love that book, Dale! If you ever consider selling it, keep me in mind. Beautiful colors and "Still 10 cents" :cloud9:

I read somewhere that they did this to bring attention to the price for the retailer because they knew they were raising the price soon to 12 cents.I think I have a few of these books lol

It was the end of an era. The ten cent comic was soon to be extinct....

Lets see those BIG 10 centers and still 10 Centers!

Great idea for a thread!

A Pedigree: Northland Copy!

I love Northland copies!

Hmmmm,should I post in the "Let's see those 10 centers" or the "Post your 10 centers".

When I take the trouble to scan a comic and upload that image to Photobucket, I make sure I get my money's worth from the effort. I post the image in as many threads as make sense!

;)

Hmmmm,should I post in the "Let's see those 10 centers" or the "Post your 10 centers". hm

I think this is a little different. This is more about a niche of the silver age 10 centers.

While the shift from 10 to 12 cents is a convenient way of separating the early silver age from the later silver age ( or "Marvel" age), visually and thematically I always lump the DC block 10 and block 12 and the Marvel/Atlas circle 10 and circle 12 books together as the transitional niche. Even Charlton did something similar with it's oblong quadrilateral.

it's purple, and it says Las Vegas on the cover! Earliest reference I have ever seen on the cover of a comic.

ll27.jpg

My favorite SA DC - Bizarro Superman & Big Brain Lois in the same issue. The best part of the story is Lois becomes the smartest person in the world and what does she obsess on - that Superman will think she's ugly. The other Big Brain classic is the issue of World's Finest where Supes is turned into a caveman and Batman gets the enlarged chrome dome - becoming a major a-hole in the process.

I read somewhere that they did this to bring attention to the price for the retailer because they knew they were raising the price soon to 12 cents.

I think it was done to highlight the fact that DC's comics were substantially cheaper than previously industry leading Dell's which had by then been raised to 15 cents.

This is more about a niche of the silver age 10 centers.

And it's a fabulous niche! And you've gone and posted nine fabulous comics from that niche already. But if I have to choose, these are the two I covet the most:

Always loved this cover, one of the best Supergirls SA covers IMO:

act276.jpg

I have said on more than one occasion, this is one of my favorite Superman covers of the silver age:

sm144.jpg

:)