• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cover re-attached...........with thread????

14 posts in this topic

Seriously? Cover re-attached with thread?????

lf-6_zps2b15d748.jpeg

I have never ever seen something like this before noted on a cgc label, let alone an unrestored book.

Is thread the new tape? Obviously tape was used to keep the entire thing together inside & out as well. Also, so little is visible about what is going on beneath the tape. The covers might just be split as well, which is not mentioned on the label and the book looks uneven. Might it have been trimmed as well, used in a bound volume, then taken out, taped and sown all over so nothing is visible and then put in an "unrestored" holder? Let alone the staples that look to have been re-inforced, as they are on the outside of the tape.

There are quite a few books like this in the upcoming Heritage Signature Auction in February and to me they all look like they come from bound volumes. What is going on there?

I bought a collection a few years ago that had a number of books which had been run through a sewing machine along their spine. The comics were is pretty nice shape otherwise. The guy who sold them to me said they were his aunt's and she had done it when she was young in an effort to "preserve" them.

I bought a collection a few years ago that had a number of books which had been run through a sewing machine along their spine. The comics were is pretty nice shape otherwise. The guy who sold them to me said they were his aunt's and she had done it when she was young in an effort to "preserve" them.

Very interesting to read. Thank you. However, adding all the tape on the spine and the irregular shape of the right edge this looks mighty suspicious to me.

I have no idea if it came from a bound volume, or not. I doubt it though, or at least not from a typical bound, and clean edge trimmed stack of comics.

The tape, and staples on the outside are weird for sure.

Looks like somebody tried to pry up the brown tape, and all they got was ink loss..

It is a weird one.

I have always loved this copy, somebody took a lot of care to sew this puppy together.

threadbatfc_zps2bb109cc.jpg

Does it really matter if it's been trimmed or not under the tape? It's a low grade book, and one with an unattractive tape repair at that. I understand the stigma of the purple label, but when you get below 2.0 I'd think eye appeal and the nature of the flaws would trump label color in considering value.

Even in the 2.0 - 4.0 range I think the phobia towards whatever CGC considers restoration can be overstated. Who would really prefer a blue 3.0 with tape on the spine, or pieces missing over a purple 3.0 with better eye-appeal with a couple or three small tear seals or a tiny spot of color touch?

Saddle stitching.

I have always loved this copy, somebody took a lot of care to sew this puppy together.

If I remember correctly that book sold at the Baltimore Comic con about 3 years ago.

Missed it by a hair. Or a thread.

If I remember correctly that book sold at the Baltimore Comic con about 3 years ago.

Missed it by a hair. Or a thread.

I remember it well. It was in Baltimore. Borock ended up buying it. I went and looked at it a couple of times and it was sold.

Almost kinda sorta looks like a Pop Hollinger book. But I don't recall ever hearing that Pop used thread for repairs, just brown or green tape

Some years back, a collection emerged in Michigan that had the spine of every book whipstitched both directions....with colored yarn no less, and sometimes two different colors.

You'd see buncha issues every show in Detroit for a couple years, but they must've eventually been absorbed into collections. I haven't seen one in several years now

I have purchased at least three books with stiches in the spine. The owner probably thought it would hold the book together better than tape. And they were right. One copy was FC 178 and another was Spiderman 20. I doubt if they were done by the same person but probably sewn for the same reason. The thread can be removed but it leaves little holes in the comic. If it is a really valuable copy, such as Batman 1, you might consider restoration to prevent the spine from splitting. It is a less damaging modification than Scotch Tape, masking tape or duck tape. At least it doesn't increase the breakdown rate of the paper.

In 2006 Zapp Comics of NJ had a CGC 1.0 Action #12 whose spine had been completely resewn. They displayed it at the first NYCC at the Javits. The book had tons of other problems, but it was pretty cheap for a #12! I agonized over it, but decided in the end there was too much wrong with it and walked away. I do wonder if that book will turn up again someday... it was extremely distinctive with the sewn spine and other damage.