• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am so disgusted I won't turn this in...

356 posts in this topic

A large percentage of the posts you seem to make are about you being "disgusted" about things... little things...

Prove it to me. Percentages please like you say.

CAL 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hmmm perhaps Calamerica will be the infamous monthly leave in a huff candidate for August 5th?

I would not give you that satisfaction. I will make the time to keep posting here whenever I want. I went through intense flaming here and other Boards, I don't quit. Ever.

CAL cool.gif

Well, Cal, you probably ARE wrong so that may take some of the sting out of it.

At least you and Redhook understood the English words I used in my Caption: "Another instance where I would like to be wrong". I guess it is too much to want others to understand my simple posts. Oh well, it is hard to lead the unwilling AND unable.

CAL thumbsup2.gif

I can relate. I always figure that if I'm outbid, it's got nothing to do with my own cheapskate habits. Rather, there's obviously something well dodgy regarding the highest bidder...

Which is spot on when it's you.... wink.gif

Yer cheeky swab!!!You're right though. I am well dodgy. grin.gif

Well, Cal, you probably ARE wrong so that may take some of the sting out of it.

At least you and Redhook understood the English words I used in my Caption: "Another instance where I would like to be wrong". I guess it is too much to want others to understand my simple posts. Oh well, it is hard to lead the unwilling AND unable.

CAL thumbsup2.gif

Your thread title did say that you were disgusted though, and implied possible chicanery on behalf of the high bidder.

Let's face it, it's very unlikely that someone who outbids you (and wins) on ebay is a shill. It's more likely that the person who outbids you wants the item more than you do. And that would apply here. As for the high bidder having zero FB, we've all got to start on that number with ebay. End of story.

Rob,

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but when I was in Vienna in March, my daughters and I went on the official Third Man tour....where we visited many of the locations in the film, including the sewer tunnels (big water ways that did NOT smell)....and ended up listening to zither music. Actually not bad considering it rained the whole time.

I gotta catch up on my Kurosawa....I've only seen 7 Sam, Hid Fort. and that's about it. Recommendations?

Brad

Cal,

You have to be amused by the fact that you threw down a simple comment and the thread took on a life of it's own, where we have discussed cinema, death and the maiden. Love these boards!

27_laughing.gif

Rob,

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but when I was in Vienna in March, my daughters and I went on the official Third Man tour....where we visited many of the locations in the film, including the sewer tunnels (big water ways that did NOT smell)....and ended up listening to zither music. Actually not bad considering it rained the whole time.

I gotta catch up on my Kurosawa....I've only seen 7 Sam, Hid Fort. and that's about it. Recommendations?

In general terms, at this point I've seen all but The Quiet Duel, Those Who Make Tomorrow and Sanshiro Sugata II (I also haven't seen his uncredited directorial debut, Uma) and I can honestly say there's only one I simply didn't like, Rhapsody in August. The rest I enjoyed on some level. I don't have high hopes for Sanshiro Sugata II, but the odds of me seeing that are slim and none.

I'd recommend most highly (in no order):

Ran: Based on King Lear. His last truly GREAT film. An awe-inspiring film.

Throne of Blood: based on MacBeth. One of the candidates for my favorite Mifune performance. His energy in this film is frightening.

Yojimbo: Itself a Dashiell Hammett riff (I've gotten in trouble for failing to mention that before) this film spawned dozens of imitators- A Fistful of Dollars and the recent Bruce Willis film, Last Man Standing being two notable remakes.

Sanjuro: The sequel to the above. A very important film stylistically in Japanese cinema. People copies the outrageousness of the violence and the humor for many years. In some ways the films of Takeshi Kitano and Takashi Miike are still making use of this film.

Kagemusha: "The Shadow Warrior" The last scene is what makes the film for me.

Rashomon: His first international hit and the film that introduced Japanese cinema to the west.

High and Low: Ed McBain's A King's Ransom is adapted brilliantly.

Dersu Uzala: A Mosfilm production that won the Academy Award for Best Forgeign Language picture in 1976

Ikiru: "To Live." The touching (an understatement) story of a man who finds out he has only short time to live and how he spends his last days. The greatest performance, in my mind, of the "Other" great Kurosawa actor, Takashi Shimura.

Red Beard: A tad sentimental (a problem with his later works.) Still a very powerful film in a lot of ways.

PS I take one thing back.....I did see Dersu Uzala, but it was back in the late 70's and I'd completely forgotten. I don't remember much except guys running around in a lot of fur and it was mo fo cold.

PS Mifune rules.

Definitely looks shilly. That calamerica dude bid up dmd1980 pretty bad.

Here is the scoop: I get eMails/calls every day - "Hey CAL please bid this one up - bid that one up - " and they even give me a Dollar amount. Many eBayers know that I bid a lot of comics and cards and it is almost unbelievable the extent many go to to get a certain Dollar amount on items others obviously overspent on. This is SHILL BIDDING for those who care.

CAL juggle.gif

Your thread title did say that you were disgusted though, and implied possible chicanery on behalf of the high bidder

Yes I did post that and I am going to try to prove my point - I am going to turn this in. If nothing happens, the Shill bidder just uses a different ISP address/different computer. If this clown is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person - he will be found out.

CAL tonofbricks.gif

Definitely looks shilly. That calamerica dude bid up dmd1980 pretty bad.

Here is the scoop: I get eMails/calls every day - "Hey CAL please bid this one up - bid that one up - " and they even give me a Dollar amount. Many eBayers know that I bid a lot of comics and cards and it is almost unbelievable the extent many go to to get a certain Dollar amount on items others obviously overspent on. This is SHILL BIDDING for those who care.

CAL juggle.gif

Are you saying you are actively participating in an auction-shilling ring?

After all, why ELSE would these people come flocking to you asking you to shill their auctions?

Let's face it, it's very unlikely that someone who outbids you (and wins) on ebay is a shill. It's more likely that the person who outbids you wants the item more than you do. And that would apply here. As for the high bidder having zero FB, we've all got to start on that number with ebay. End of story.

I do this almost daily - this eBay stuff. I find it very hard to believe that a ZERO bidder who just registered less than a week ago has bid $812.30 worth of comic books. I know that this was a shill bid - that Seller wanted more than the $45.00 I bid on that Silver Surfer comic book. I go through this all the time. I bid a comic at a good price and the Seller either: 1) does not send it; 2) says that they "lost" it( and I see it re-listed a few months later); 3) says the USPS lost it( and therein lies my purchasing of Insurance ALWAYS and if they "lose" the USPS receipt I get them kicked off eBay) 4) says that the comic is "damaged" or they forget to pull the auction before it closed.

I got my very first negative due to this lady who sold a NM Witchblade # 1 with a "Buy-It-Now" for $3.00. I PayPalled her the funds within one rminute of winning. She stalled sending me the comic. Stalled. I finally got nasty and she told me that she made a mistake and meant to put $30.00 instead of $3.00. And this might have been true - Witchblade had that TV series running and the first 10 Issues were hard to get NM and higher. But why take my $5.30( $1.00 shipping, $1.30 Insurance) and say that she would send comic and then the 2nd story?

She slammed a neg on me two days later: " This Buyer tried to take advantage of a woman trying to sell items and is unreasonable"

I jumped on eBay's head and did the Army-Brown-boot-dance and railed and railed and railed daily

They kicked her off and removed that negative.

Al she had to do was send me my money back and re-list the comic. I guess that was asking too much.

After all, why ELSE would these people come flocking to you asking you to shill their auctions?

No where did I say that I actively participate in auction-shill ring? Please show me where I said that. And I NEVER edit posts like some othere here do.

I don't know why they ask me to do this - but it is all unsolicited like the hundreds of spam eMails I get daily too.

Now please show us all where I said that. I am waiting patiently.

CAL 893naughty-thumb.gif

No where did I say that I actively participate in auction-shill ring? Please show me where I said that. And I NEVER edit posts like some othere here do.

I don't know why they ask me to do this - but it is all unsolicited like the hundreds of spam eMails I get daily too.

Now please show us all where I said that. I am waiting patiently.

CAL 893naughty-thumb.gif

A) You couldn't edit out what you said because I quoted it. It was the part that you conveniently left off in your response to my post.

B) THIS is what you said:

Remember now?

Now, I don't think I've EVER heard of such a thing, Cal. If you're involved in something like that, why, I'm not only more than a little disgusted, I'm pretty danged sad for you.

I echo Rob's sentiments, and my favorite Kurosawa films, besides Seven Samurai, are: Ran, Yojimbo, and Rashomon

Back on topic, shill bidding is definitely a problem. What I've learned to do is simply start the auctions at the least amount I'd take for the item. Usually that's $1.00, since I'm trying to clear some room. There's nothing more annoying than a seller that's playing games.

I do this almost daily - this eBay stuff. I find it very hard to believe that a ZERO bidder who just registered less than a week ago has bid $812.30 worth of comic books. I know that this was a shill bid - that Seller wanted more than the $45.00 I bid on that Silver Surfer comic book. I go through this all the time. I bid a comic at a good price and the Seller either: 1) does not send it; 2) says that they "lost" it( and I see it re-listed a few months later); 3) says the USPS lost it( and therein lies my purchasing of Insurance ALWAYS and if they "lose" the USPS receipt I get them kicked off eBay) 4) says that the comic is "damaged" or they forget to pull the auction before it closed.

But none of this happened in this case. You were simply outbid and are annoyed about it. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that this guy/girl is a shill other than your own paranoia.....but you're going to report them as a suspected shill regardless.

That's not cool.....and being awfully petty in my opinion.....

Jim

But none of this happened in this case. You were simply outbid and are annoyed about it. You have absolutely no proof whatsoever that this guy/girl is a shill other than your own paranoia.....but you're going to report them as a suspected shill regardless.

That's not cool.....and being awfully petty in my opinion.....

Jim

I guess we can all feel lucky he didn't

( I) jumped on eBay's head and did the Army-Brown-boot-dance and railed and railed and railed daily

this time around..... boo.gif