• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subcategory structure beneath "comic books"

41 posts in this topic

Are you building out a navigation? Or hierarchy for breadcrumbs?

I think rather than trying to figure out a hierarchy per say, I would just develop a flat (all items are at the same level) search refiner (maybe you already have this?). So, for example, in your left nav/panel, you could refine from Publisher, Era, Genre, & Characters.

The thing NOT to do is copy Mile High's web site. Ugh.

+1

MCS, IMO, has the best built website in the comic industry.

Just a few little bugs that need to be fixed.

Conan has always been receptive when I bring them up. (thumbs u

I've always gotten the impression that eBay's tiers were designed to make it easier for the unknowledgeable lister to find the right category for what they're selling. The lower tiers of categorizing become more specific to the content.

If you assume your customers have a much better understanding of the way the market breaks down, you could either be more general in the age brackets (Gold, Silver, Bronze, everything else) or you could start with genre, which is nearly as a big a breakpoint for the collector as the age bracket. The traditional age structure relates mostly to super-hero comics anyway.

Yeah, I want to pick something that's tailored more toward knowledgeable collectors than for people brand new to comics who are just clicking around. On further thought, I think what we'll probably do is provide sets of independent filter options (date/era, publisher, genre, etc) that people can apply independently in whatever order they want, instead of trying to force a single category hierarchy over all comics.

I've always gotten the impression that eBay's tiers were designed to make it easier for the unknowledgeable lister to find the right category for what they're selling. The lower tiers of categorizing become more specific to the content.

If you assume your customers have a much better understanding of the way the market breaks down, you could either be more general in the age brackets (Gold, Silver, Bronze, everything else) or you could start with genre, which is nearly as a big a breakpoint for the collector as the age bracket. The traditional age structure relates mostly to super-hero comics anyway.

Yeah, I want to pick something that's tailored more toward knowledgeable collectors than for people brand new to comics who are just clicking around. On further thought, I think what we'll probably do is provide sets of independent filter options (date/era, publisher, genre, etc) that people can apply independently in whatever order they want, instead of trying to force a single category hierarchy over all comics.

Conan, have a look at how Newegg.com does this.

Their site and they way you can add criteria is miles above any other method.

how about a search engine that allows for elements from multiple catagories not just one?

If I wanted to search for issues of Green Lantern written by Geoff Johns a search for lantern + Johns would miss GL #16 (because there is no word "lantern" in the issue description) and if I do a search using the word "lantern" and the detail word "johns" it will give me an amalgamation of every book that has either Lantern in the title or Johns in the description, but not the combination of the two.

MCS I think the first question is what is this organization being applied to?

I have differing opinions depending on the application...

Mycomicshop.com site update. There's a significant amount of new areas we've gotten in to since our last formal update, notably consignments, auctions, and (small scale thus far) comic art. They're accommodated within our current layout, but I think we can do better with a new design that plans for those from the start. While we're at it, we're reviewing everything else, including basic search/browse/results handling, which led to my original question in this thread.

The search will still be there as always. Going to be adding a sidebar where you can apply various filter options, similar to the layouts on eBay or NewEgg (thanks for the suggestion, Dice). Should be more flexible and easier to use than our current setup.

I think this is a wise choice since most users now search instead of browse. Comic book categorization is not well-suited for a hierarchy because it is hard to arrive at a truly unique endpoint (such as SA > DC > Horror, you still have to differentiate DC Horror from Marvel Horror). Filtering and tagging are also less maintenance going forward than shuffling categories around.

I would whole-heartedly agree that MyComicShop is the absolute best site for finding books, especially for the breadth and depth of your inventory. Just wanted to take this chance to compliment you because I am a frequent purchaser.

I would agree with DiceX that the most frustrating aspect of the site is the handling of variants. I have in the past missed out on an issue I wanted because it was under a different title as a Mark Jeweler or autographed variant. It would be best to let users know to search for an issue specifically as well as browse for it by title.

Other than that, I love the site and am really happy to know that you are constantly working to improve it. Kudos! (thumbs u

One of the few things that aggravates me about the MCS site is that in many titles the variants are listed in a different heading.

Let's say I search for "spider man 1990."

Not that I ever would. hm

But let's say I did, this is what I'd get...

Spider-Man (1990) #1-98

Spider-Man (1990) Autographed #1-26

Spider-Man (1990) Autographed and Stamped #1

Spider-Man (1990) Bagged Edition Regular #1

Spider-Man (1990) Blue Variant #1

Spider-Man (1990) Gold Reprint Direct Market #1

Spider-Man (1990) Gold Reprint UPC Newsstand #1

Spider-Man (1990) Marvel AF Reprint #5

Spider-Man (1990) Platinum Edition #1

Spider-Man (1990) Signed Edition #1-9

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Autographed #1

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Bagged #1

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Unbagged #1

Is there a reason that the regular manufacturer released variants can't all be in the same category of "Spider-Man (1990) #1-98?

There are titles where the variants are listed in the same category but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which ones are and which aren't.

The MCS website is awesome, but this really is annoying.

We're currently tied to a very old legacy database system. It doesn't run anything for the web site itself, but it constrains our ability to assign longer, more descriptive issue identifiers.

Take something like "Spider-Man (1990) #1 Platinum Edition" The ideal might be to record it under the title "Spider-Man (1990)' along with everything else, as an issue labeled "#1 Platinum Edition", adjacent to the regular #1. We don't have that flexibility with the issue number, so instead variants are handled one of two ways:

Either splitting the variant off in its own title. Title = "Spider-Man (1990) Platinum Edition", issue = "#1".

Or assigning a letter code to the variant 1A, 1B, 1C, etc. and then describing the variant in the issue notes.

It's also the reason why no-number issues are given a placeholder issue number of 0, which I'd like to get away from.

We plan to sever the last remaining ties to the old system this year, and will have more flexibility to improve and clean up our object model when that's done.

I think rather than trying to figure out a hierarchy per say, I would just develop a flat (all items are at the same level) search refiner (maybe you already have this?). So, for example, in your left nav/panel, you could refine from Publisher, Era, Genre, & Characters.

Yes, exactly. Thanks. (thumbs u

I have always wondered if the development of your site is done entirely in house or do you sub some of it out? Also, do you have a team or it just you writing and designing? Do you guys try and follow an Agile/SCRUM release cycle? Lastly, do you have dedicated people to do content work? Or do you also just do that yourself?

I have always wondered if the development of your site is done entirely in house or do you sub some of it out? Also, do you have a team or it just you writing and designing? Do you guys try and follow an Agile/SCRUM release cycle? Lastly, do you have dedicated people to do content work? Or do you also just do that yourself?

- In house except for graphic design.

- Not just me, we have a small team of developers.

- I'd say we do some things that line up well with agile principles, but we don't follow a specific agile process or cycle. We're pretty informal.

- Most of the issue writeups and issue details are things we've written and recorded ourselves over the years, but we also have worked with other people who've done issue writeups, content data, supplied missing cover scans, etc. I think Buddy may have mentioned opportunities like that previously in our weekly newsletter. If you (anybody reading this) see an area of our database that is missing info, or you're an expert in an area and have info to provide, feel free to PM me.

I think a nice feature would be that you send me notices on books from my want list a full 24 hours before anyone else is notified of them.

:cry:

:whee:

The thing NOT to do is copy Mile High's web site. Ugh.

It's awful and, if I'm remembering something from one of Chuck's newsletters a couple of months back, this is their new and improved site. Whatever tweaks they made aren't too apparent. lol

Categories:

-consignment comics damaged by scanning

-comics that will sit around unshipped after taking someone's money

-comics that will be inadequately packaged for shipment

-comics that will not arrive in the condition stated and receive rude or no response to customer service complaints.

I think those are the categories you need.

DG

DG,

I'm sorry that your previous experience with us was not good. For what it's worth, I apologize for our failings in our interaction with you, and extend the same offer to you I do to any other board member, customer, or collector who deals with us--I can't guarantee we'll never make a mistake, but I'm available by phone at (512) 240-2802, PM here, or email conan@mycomicshop.com and will do anything I can to make sure you're taken care of.

Best,

Conan