• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Subcategory structure beneath "comic books"

41 posts in this topic

If you were to take the category "Comic Books", and break it up into further categories and subcategories going maybe 2 or 3 levels deep, how do you think the categories should be arranged?

Ebay does this:

First level categories beneath Comic Books are :

Golden Age (1938-55)

Silver Age (1956-69)

Bronze Age (1970-83)

Copper Age (1984-1991)

Modern Age (1992-Now)

plus other minor related categories

Beneath each of those, the next level of subcategories is grouped on genre: Western, Romance, Superhero, War, etc.

For the Superhero genre within Silver Age, Bronze, Copper, and Modern, ebay's decided the category is large enough to merit further division into smaller subcategories, with the next level down being based on the character. For example for Modern Age there's Alpha Flight, Aquaman, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, etc.

Any thoughts on how eBay's split things up? I'm thinking maybe something similar, but splitting the large Superhero genre into chunks split by publisher:

- First level of categories are Golden Age, Silver Age, etc.

- Second level of categories are based on genre, but for Silver, Bronze, Copper, and Modern, instead of a single combined Superhero genre split it as Superhero: Marvel, Superhero: DC, Superhero: Other Publishers.

- Third level of categories would include major characters.

What do you think?

If you were to take the category "Comic Books", and break it up into further categories and subcategories going maybe 2 or 3 levels deep, how do you think the categories should be arranged?

Ebay does this:

Golden Age (1938-55)

Silver Age (1956-69)

Bronze Age (1970-83)

Copper Age (1984-1991)

Modern Age (1992-Now)

Beneath each of those, the next level of subcategories is grouped on genre: Western, Romance, Superhero, War, etc.

For the Superhero genre within Silver Age, Bronze, Copper, and Modern, ebay's decided the category is large enough to merit further division into smaller subcategories, with the next level down being based on the character. For example for Modern Age there's Alpha Flight, Aquaman, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, etc.

Any thoughts on how eBay's split things up? I'm thinking maybe something similar, but splitting the large Superhero genre into chunks split by publisher:

- Second level of categories are based on genre, but for Silver, Bronze, Copper, and Modern, instead of a single combined Superhero genre split it as Superhero: Marvel, Superhero: DC, Superhero: Other Publishers.

What do you think?

Is this going to speed up the CGC turnaround time? (shrug)

I like the categories of what I collect is awesome, and what you collect sux.

But I collect what you do...

That's why I'll be over later tonight....., :cool:

I like the categories of what I collect is awesome, and what you collect sux.

But I collect what you do...

That's why I'll be over later tonight....., :cool:

Good, you can finish up my paper.

And yes, I am going to person_without_enough_empathy about being back in school until I am completely done with school.

Judging from what's actually on ebay in the Golden Age section, I'd like to see the following subcategories:

Classics Illustrated

Gene Autry

DVDs, flash drives and CDs.

Stuff that's been continually listed for more than a year.

Books you might want to buy.

Ebay does this:

Golden Age (1938-55)

Silver Age (1956-69)

Bronze Age (1970-83)

Copper Age (1984-1991)

Modern Age (1992-Now)

What do you think?

What about first level by publisher? Several sites do this. I'm not opposed to it.

What about first level by publisher? Several sites do this. I'm not opposed to it.

First level by publisher, so instead of Golden Age/Silver Age/etc being the first categorization, it'd be by publisher? The tricky thing with that is the list of major publishers varies from one era to another, so the list of publishers gets big. Or do you mean first level *after* Gold/Silver/Bronze is publisher? I think that could work:

Comic Books

1) Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern

2) Publisher

3) Characters and/or genre

First level by publisher, so instead of Golden Age/Silver Age/etc being the first categorization, it'd be by publisher? The tricky thing with that is the list of major publishers varies from one era to another, so the list of publishers gets big. Or do you mean first level *after* Gold/Silver/Bronze is publisher? I think that could work:

Comic Books

1) Gold/Silver/Bronze/Copper/Modern

2) Publisher

3) Characters and/or genre

I think that would be better, especially due to the different publishers in the GA.

If I had a wish list of organizational features that I would like to see on your site I would ask for (in order of priority):

1. A check box that provides the option to hide all issues of a title that are not in stock.

2. The ability to show more than 50 issues per page, perferably the ability to show the whole run of a title.

I've always gotten the impression that eBay's tiers were designed to make it easier for the unknowledgeable lister to find the right category for what they're selling. The lower tiers of categorizing become more specific to the content.

If you assume your customers have a much better understanding of the way the market breaks down, you could either be more general in the age brackets (Gold, Silver, Bronze, everything else) or you could start with genre, which is nearly as a big a breakpoint for the collector as the age bracket. The traditional age structure relates mostly to super-hero comics anyway.

Based on some of the modern stuff I've read, I think they could create sub-sub-categories for more accurate classification:

Modern Age > Superhero > Angsty Emo Self-Narcissim

Modern Age > Superhero > Attention Whoring Self-Confidence Issues

Modern Age > Superhero > Poorly Written Expositional Shatner-esque Dialogue Influences

If I had a wish list of organizational features that I would like to see on your site I would ask for (in order of priority):

1. A check box that provides the option to hide all issues of a title that are not in stock.

2. The ability to show more than 50 issues per page, perferably the ability to show the whole run of a title.

Click on the 'In Stock' tab and it just shows you the issues that are in stock.

Number one is available now unless I'm misunderstanding:

Detective Comics

vs

Detective Comics after clicking the "In Stock" tab at the top of search results

search results for Batman

vs

search results for Batman after clicking the in "In Stock" tab at the top of search results

Number two I'd be willing to add with our next update--would just need to verify we can do it in a way that wouldn't cause performance problems when viewing something like an 800 issue title.

One of the few things that aggravates me about the MCS site is that in many titles the variants are listed in a different heading.

Let's say I search for "spider man 1990."

Not that I ever would. hm

But let's say I did, this is what I'd get...

Spider-Man (1990) #1-98

Spider-Man (1990) Autographed #1-26

Spider-Man (1990) Autographed and Stamped #1

Spider-Man (1990) Bagged Edition Regular #1

Spider-Man (1990) Blue Variant #1

Spider-Man (1990) Gold Reprint Direct Market #1

Spider-Man (1990) Gold Reprint UPC Newsstand #1

Spider-Man (1990) Marvel AF Reprint #5

Spider-Man (1990) Platinum Edition #1

Spider-Man (1990) Signed Edition #1-9

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Autographed #1

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Bagged #1

Spider-Man (1990) Silver Edition Unbagged #1

Is there a reason that the regular manufacturer released variants can't all be in the same category of "Spider-Man (1990) #1-98?

There are titles where the variants are listed in the same category but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which ones are and which aren't.

The MCS website is awesome, but this really is annoying.

Click on the 'In Stock' tab and it just shows you the issues that are in stock.

The "In Stock" tab doesn't always work. Especially on the Want List items.

It often misses books.