• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS International prices up 24-54% on January 27

81 posts in this topic

First Class International Packages up to 4 lbs are $15.45 from California currently.

Looks like it will double if I'm reading this right...

First Class Mail International is being renamed First Class Package Service International and is being transferred to the “competitive product list” which allows the mail class to be eligible for Commercial Base pricing (online rate discounts). 2013 rates are seeing a significant increase, with rates increasing as much as 60% for packages that weigh up to 1 lb.

WEIGHT 64 OZ for PRICE GROUPS 27.35 33.65 38.95 39.65

You read it right.

Over 40 ounces is going to be cheaper to send Priority Flat Rate Envelope

First column Weight in ounces, Second cost to Canada, Third Mexico, 4-5 rest of world

First Class Package Service International

12.... 9.15 13.50 14.90 14.30

16.... 10.55 15.05 16.75 16.25

20.... 11.95 16.60 18.60 18.20

24.... 13.35 18.15 20.45 20.15

28.... 14.75 19.70 22.30 22.10

32.... 16.15 21.25 24.15 24.05

36.... 17.55 22.80 26.00 26.00

40.... 18.95 24.35 27.85 27.95

clearly an effort by the usps to further bankrupt junior comic dealers.

that's a big hit for canada considering half of canada is closer to me than most of the united states. i would mind less if they had some tracking on there.

so what is a 12 oz package/envelope going to cost 1st class from the u.s. to canada? that's 1-3 comics depending on how they're packed.

ok, i re-read your post, it will be $9.15? that sux but i guess it isn't the end of the world.

I ship a lot of heavy stuff internationally and Priority Mail International Flat Rate has always been the most cost effective way to do it. These are some hefty increases....

Canada

Flat Rate Envelope $13 soon $20 +54%

Med Flat Rate Box $33 soon $41 +24%

Large Flat Rate Box $40 soon $54 +35%

Rest of World

Flat Rate Envelope $17 soon $24 +41%

Med Flat Rate Box $48 soon $60 +25%

Large Flat Rate Box $61 soon $78 +28%

First Class Mail International is also up on average 50+%

Of course domestic prices are going up also, but they are in the order of 6%

This may be true for heavy supplies and whatnot, but for comics there are many cheaper and safe ways to ship internationally that do not involve the words "Priority" or "Flat Rate."

What are they? My post office always tells me due to weight that it can only go priority. They have eliminated surface mail completely even to Canada. Prices were already bad enough that people rarely want to pay them. It wont affect me but I feel bad for Canadians and others that want regional variants and such without paying an arm and a leg for shipping.

yup, within the u.s. 1-2 comics can be shipped quickly and reasonably safely for about $3 via 1st class. at that weight i don't try to play games with media mail, which would be even cheaper.

I ship a lot of heavy stuff internationally and Priority Mail International Flat Rate has always been the most cost effective way to do it. These are some hefty increases....

Canada

Rest of World

This may be true for heavy supplies and whatnot, but for comics there are many cheaper and safe ways to ship internationally that do not involve the words "Priority" or "Flat Rate."

What methods do you recommend, Sean?

Could someone decipher the online charts (shrug) to figure out what a 6 ounce package first class air mail from USA to Canada is? Also priority mail box from USA to Canada 1 lb 12 ounces.

The same for USA to UK.

This is a fiscal international shipping cliff on January 27th :mad:

Sorry... My mistake. I see what happened: I clicked on the top links on this page which took me back to EXISTING rates. doh!

https://www.usps.com/new-prices.htm

For Canada:

Weight Not Over (Ounces) PRICE GROUP 1

1 6.55

2 6.55

3 7.35

4 7.35

5 8.55

6 8.55

7 8.55

8 8.55

12 9.15

16 10.55

20 11.95

24 13.35

28 14.75

32 16.15

36 17.55

40 18.95

44 20.35

48 21.75

52 23.15

56 24.55

60 25.95

64 27.35 = 4lb Top Limit

This used to be $15.45 so it IS a drastic increase.

Canada

Rest of World

OMG

I stopped shipping ebay items via USPS International last summer.

1. Tracking system is pre-internet in efficiency.

2. Expect up to 8 weeks for delivery.

3. Expect unhappy buyers leaving you negative feedback.

4. Best Match status will be forfeited.

Express International was actually pretty dog-gone efficient. I ALWAYS got the signature except the few times that the Buyer did not want to receive the package( the classic eBay "Buyers remorse"). Once the sig was refused, I got the package back each time, and no more out-of-pocket expense.

I had to ship CGC items to Australia, and with full Insurance I remember one package costing $111.57. The Buyer refused to leave me a positive feedback because he felt that he paid too much in shipping. More cases of eBayers bidding despite the ship costs stated up front.

I had a Customer in Madagascar once, he bought an IMSM 9.2 from me. That cost $125-something. Took 13 weeks to get there too. Too late to post feedback at that point.

Many of the older-tenured Boardies remembers all the rip-offs and disputes I had with the com men from France, and the UK. For some strange reason, I had VERY FEW problems with the Canadian Buyers. I sold more stuff to the Canadians than all the other foreign countries combined by a landslide. However, too much time passes, and the feedback just did not get left. I feel that if the Seller did his/her job and NO PROBLEMS they should get the positive feedback. Unfortunately, many eBay Buyers don't feel that way. Many of them deeply resent the Seller for both: having something that a lot of people want; and the ship costs. My DSR's on eBbay were a strange combo: 4.9 on the first three categories, and 4.5 on shipping. Once I eliminated International Shipping, my DSR's are now 4.9, 4.9, 4.9, and shipping is 4.8.

Also got tired of the flaming on any Board I ever was on regarding International shipping. It felt like I was the bad guy for living in the USA.

CAL rantrant

Because of this, I will no longer ship international. Sorry guys. I'm not risking anything getting lost.

But your buyers pay the shipping, not you? ???

And why is it suddenly more likely that anything will get lost? ??? ???

+1

Adonis, please explain - or ideally, retract.

The last thing we need as UK buyers is for US boardie sellers deciding that price increases mean they won't post to us. If enough people (especially among the more active/visible posters) start making that decision it could become the norm for no real reason, and that would be a really big shame.