• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Not thin-skinned at all . If anything I don't shy away from confrontation at all. That is why I replied immediately. Your comment was rude hence the response. I see people who hoard and don't share information on these boards . Sharing insight can only help your cause. Translation.... BUY BUY BUY people so I can SELL SELL SELL into the market . How about that for being open about motives!

Well, I wasn't confronting you, but OK. Your response basically acknowledged that market pronouncements were pretty much dumb luck, so I'm not sure what point you thought you were making.

Anyway, what do I know. I don't drive a viper or live in a 5,000sq foot home. I have to say, that did make me feel pretty small and insignificant. I assume your girlfriend/wife is ridiculously hot and you have the body of a Greek god too?

SCAN OR BAN!

of his wife?

lol

joking aside, there are definitely more lurkers than posters on these threads. I still get people talking to trash to me for only having registered last year. But i have been reading these boards for years and years.

ALLLLLLLLLLLL forums everywhere, new people will get bashed. It's just the way of the internet. Especially if new people are knowledgeable, and demand respect immediately, without anyone knowing who they are.

Anyone who is smart with their money, working a decent job since the 70s/80s SHOULD have a viper and a 5000 sq-ft house (but there are a lot better cars than vipers to be had with that money). It's called saving, and being frugal.

my 2c

Edited by CBT

thanks for the smart reply. perhaps you didn't read further about the Marvel/DC books and variants.Next years response won't be Image books as they will be into the100K +print range. Beanie babies, Furbys, POGS etc etc etc My user id comes from my ride and the house I live in is 5000+ sq foot on the intracoastal (the waterway for those overseas). ALL from comics,cards,coins,action figures etc Sometimes the obvious response is the right response . Sheesh people . The reason people don't like joining discussions on these boards is because of these idiotic attacks. Why there are far more lurkers than those that contribute to the forum. Just the other day I was reading the Bedlam thread and was amazed how a investor with a 100+cgc books was being called out because others couldn't fathom someone investing THEIR money into that amount of books.

Anyone here old enough to have made a killing during the 90's with their stock portfolios? IPO's of everything/anything .com associated. A MONKEY throwing darts could have given the same SEARING INSIGHT at the time.

IMAGE IMAGE IMAGE ..... is the same as VALIANT VALIANT VALIANT back then . Sorry if the obvious hurts peoples feelings. There is an ever expanding bubble that WILL burst. Someone will be left with a warehouse full of these comics but it won't be me or those that are aware of cycles in the market and don't try to fight the trend!

Thank you for your posts. They should be sobering to anyone reading them. What you do sucks for the hobby, but it's nothing new, and judging from this forum, everyone's participating to one degree or another. So yeah...thanks for the honesty and the reality check.

I indulge in gambling, penny stocks, ripping and flipping and have for the better part of 3 decades. I am not sure I was trying to give everyone a reality check but if it does to some degree than good. To me there are people on these boards that are pulling the old pump and dump on books and hate seeing people who may not know any better lose their shirts. No I am not the police of the boards and people can do as they wish but sometimes throwing out the prospectors side of the coin allows for the newbie to have a better understanding that not everyone is your buddy or pal.

Am I going to buy into EoW and Jupiters Legacy and Guardians of the Galaxy etc etc etc YES , am I going to look to turn around and sell into the frenzy YES. Don't over extend or risk the rent money on ANYTHING ... my best advice is to sell IMMEDIATELY when possible, enough to recoup your investment ,and then let it ride after that. That philosphy has served me and others well for years.

That philosphy has served me and others well for years.

and many of us as well.

i think people sometimes just dont take kindly to someone jumping into a conversation (previously unknown), and making statements that come across as obvious, and arrogant.

Some react with sarcastic obnoxiousness, others take the time to make thoughtful responses. I agree with most of what you are saying, and I always help people out with tips/hints, etc.

I have only seen one or two examples of someone trying to pump/dump, it's pretty rare on here. For the most part this is a great place with great people.

I dont find Jack Black funny (shrug)

he might have been laughing at my scan or ban joke. I have been on a roll of taking his ambiguous short sentences and intentionally mis-interpreting them in a funny way....;)

Viper -

Welcome to the conversation. What you are talking about may be 100% accurate. I think the resistance comes from you being someone that has no established reputation here and coming in and talking about comic flipping on a large scale, which is a taboo subject, even though everyone does it. If you read through the threads you will see a distaste for the larger scale speculation you are describing. I have no problem with what you are doing at all (more power), but many here are also big fans of artists, writers, and content of the books you seem to be reducing to commodities. This talk just rub some the wrong way.

Be well in your Oceanside manor.

Ryan

This thread hits home in a lot of ways, I'm a long time collector but usually only silver keys. I recently got into moderns and coppers when deadpool and x23 really took off (historically marvel guy). The funny thing is that I started buying moderns because I like them Saga, revival mostly. What I've found myself doing lately is buying dumb stuff that I would never have purchased in the past, looking for the mid range flip... I justified this by saying that I would use the cash to pick up the older keys and hoping I'd find something I liked in the process. I can't say I love Bedlam or NWM... But have a fair share in conjunction with more ridiculous things like Blackacre (GREAT COMIC BTW - you should totally buy several copies).

I can't say that this is a pop and flop like the 90s because comic companies are smarter, print more efficiently, etc... But I do think that there is a shelf life to some -especially those linked to TV and movie rumors. My only advise to echo many others here (which I have to remind myself of) is to buy what you love first and hope to make a profit second... It's the only way you can enjoy the hobby for the long term, otherwise invest in a ticket to Vegas and shoot your load on the nickel slots.

... my best advice is to sell IMMEDIATELY when possible, enough to recoup your investment ,and then let it ride after that. That philosphy has served me and others well for years.

Hi! My board name is Carter3175 and I support that quote. (thumbs u

The only thing that I look for is print runs. If and when I start to see newer Image comics increase there print runs from the normal. Its time to start dumping. I am not a fan of huge prints and I am not a fan of reprints. I like the juice of collecting and hunting for deals. If I miss the boat on something and I really want to be a part of it, then I have to swallow a secondary market purchase pill. Thats can be tricky and as a buyer I would have to have a reality check, Its the game that we play.

Even during a comic book market crash some books are ressesion proof. Lets use Valiant as an example. They turned the industry upside down. They had everything going on for them, great stories, great characters, low print runs. :blahblah: :blahblah: and the market bottomed out. Certain books like Harbinger 1 (1st Harbinger) - $500, Solar 10 (1st Eternal Warrior) - $500, Archer & Armstrong 0 Gold (1st Archer & Armstrong) - $500 and many other has kept strong prices through the years. Another thing they are rare as hell, especially to find them in 9.8. How does this relate to Image? There will be certain books to make it through the storm. The Walking Dead, Peter Panzerfaust, Saga are all winners to make it through a storm. As much as I love Bedlam, I do not think it would make it and I would dare say Revival and Thief of Thieves will take hits as well. Too early to call Nowhere Men but they are starting off strong. I'm not so sure about the other books. I would dump them as fast as possible and strike while the iron is hot unless you are a real fan of the series and enjoy the story.