• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

why ? because this isn't a limited product that you need to get order in before it sells out. No need to place an order that you have to pay for until the last day possible. The FOC is established so the books can than be printed to order.

in some cases the comic is sold out even before release date.. I like order 2 months ahead for the discount and sometimes I may grab more week beforre release pending more available info through interviews n such

Im glad i dont have a budget for my comic hobby!

hmmm, I don't place my orders until the final day not because of a budget but because the buyer doesn't have to.Why have money tied up in a book that doesn't release, in your example, 2 months from now when that money can be used to create profits. Ofcourse I am a speculator/dealer and my 40%+ discount is good up to the FOC and I buy hundreds at a time. Never has a book sold out (that I have been apart of ) before the FOC. Not sure how that is possible . Once again the FOC is placed so a book can be produced based on the orders received by Diamond by this date . In reality , other than producing more books for giveaways, for talent that worked on the books,comps etc, no book should ever be printed less than or more than the orders that are received by the FOC. BTW the FOC, in general, is 23 days before the scheduled release of a book.

on midtowns site you can usually order a comic exactly a week before release date but if those run out prior to release the book never comes back in stock on their site.. last one i saw was NWM 3 and luckily i ordered those the wed before its release date cause they were out of stock by friday

on midtowns site you can usually order a comic exactly a week before release date but if those run out prior to release the book never comes back in stock on their site.. last one i saw was NWM 3 and luckily i ordered those the wed before its release date cause they were out of stock by friday

Exactly, a week before release what they are selling is the remainder of what they had to place orders for 2 1/2 weeks earlier . Midtown, tfaw, etc ,in general , have the same restrictions as far as placing orders. If their customers have placed say orders for 300 copies they may order an additional 30% for their inventory. Remembering they are making money on your orders (the cost to the distributor is say 50-55% of cover) they bring their remaining inventory a week before release at a discount or perhaps at cover. Once they sell-out they have to replenish through the secondary market like everyone else. Ofcourse their contacts are far greater than yours and mine lol

We are Off topic here a bit. Yes, East of West will be heavily ordered for a Image book....50K+ BUT if the story is great ...that number will be gobbled up by all, Collectors/speculators/dealers etc. This is a BUY IMO and will be a nice secondary market for those that chose to flip.

Apples and Oranges ....my POINT is ...this will not be a 12-13,000 automatic slam dunk book like NWM . But has the potential to be a great flip for those that are interested in that sort of thing. BTW I hope there are only 25,000 than my investment will be for 1%+ of the entire print run . SWEET hahaha

Edited by viperdays

Once again guys you are giving yourself TOO much credit. This board is NOT the center of the comic universe. 99.9% of all comic readers do not participate in this forum (or the like) and are not in the loop regarding most of what we talk about. Most are casual readers (which is what comics are intended to service) and walk into a LCS to discover books when they are placed on the shelf. We can order 1,000 between us in the boards, and yes it will make a ripple, but at the end of the day it comes down to content, of which we have no idea how it is.

We can say "it's blowing up and is going to have a 50,000+ print run," but we don't know that. Print runs are determinant on a number of factors and publishers want to maximize profit while minimizing risk (hence second prints and the like). Too much hype about the hypes guys......

Second rant of the day. :foryou: