• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Didn't the one person a few pages back say he bought 500-1000?

I will be ordering 250 of #1 and 150 of #2, #3 and #4 . Total investment is approx $1400 for 700 books. If it flops I still have wiggle room with selling sets, IF it soars I will be positioned nicely. One doesn't need to have a large store when there is e-bay to sell to collectors/Investors/speculators/other dealers etc around the world.

Good luck!

Seems to be working out well for Nowhere Men, eh ViperDays?

That said, meh. I just wouldn't have the time, nor care or afford the overhead of bagging, boarding, boxing, paying for postage and shipping that many books. If it explodes, congrats. Odds are that it won't be the next TWD. I hope it is? Best of luck?

Yes, working out very well with NWM and a few other IMAGE titles I have yet to sell either SAGA,MP,PP etc . Books come bagged and boarded,postage is paid by buyers,letter carrier picks up packages at my door,no way around time to list or package...that's what the kids are for :-) My point here is that most people think there is too much work and are not willing to do this ...even as a side gig. My biggest thing is that US sellers tend to not ship overseas. No more time or effort and your consumer base is expanded exponentially. Hell, if I knew posting here would cause people to drop orders I would have posted earlier....JUST KIDDING !!!

im cutting my order from 10 to 2. too many people are getting in on this book and i don't want to be like FF or all of those other Hickman books before Manhattan Projects that sucked so bad.

I tried reading The Red Wing and couldn't get into it. It was only a mini, but minis at Image are known to turn into ongoing, if there is enough interest, and so far his last 4 minis (Red Mass For Mars, Pax Romana, The Red Wind and Transhuman) have gone no further than 4 issues each.

when you order that many you end up competing against yourself when you go to sell them...unless you're just going to sit on them for a couple years and hope for the best, then slowly filter them onto the market.

Not exactly true. Depends on how you filter them onto the market. For example I will sell some #1's from the go. Than I will add a book with each new issue release. Get some slabbed, trade some etc etc etc Now if I were buying 1,000 of each issue than one would have a much more difficult task in liquidating. All this is made easier with the initial cost being what it is.

when you order that many you end up competing against yourself when you go to sell them...unless you're just going to sit on them for a couple years and hope for the best, then slowly filter them onto the market.

Not exactly true. Depends on how you filter them onto the market. For example I will sell some #1's from the go. Than I will add a book with each new issue release. Get some slabbed, trade some etc etc etc Now if I were buying 1,000 of each issue than one would have a much more difficult task in liquidating. All this is made easier with the initial cost being what it is.

Sign me up for some Amway :grin:

Didn't the one person a few pages back say he bought 500-1000?

I will be ordering 250 of #1 and 150 of #2, #3 and #4 . Total investment is approx $1400 for 700 books. If it flops I still have wiggle room with selling sets, IF it soars I will be positioned nicely. One doesn't need to have a large store when there is e-bay to sell to collectors/Investors/speculators/other dealers etc around the world.

Good luck!

Seems to be working out well for Nowhere Men, eh ViperDays?

That said, meh. I just wouldn't have the time, nor care or afford the overhead of bagging, boarding, boxing, paying for postage and shipping that many books. If it explodes, congrats. Odds are that it won't be the next TWD. I hope it is? Best of luck?

Yes, working out very well with NWM and a few other IMAGE titles I have yet to sell either SAGA,MP,PP etc . Books come bagged and boarded,postage is paid by buyers,letter carrier picks up packages at my door,no way around time to list or package...that's what the kids are for :-) My point here is that most people think there is too much work and are not willing to do this ...even as a side gig. My biggest thing is that US sellers tend to not ship overseas. No more time or effort and your consumer base is expanded exponentially. Hell, if I knew posting here would cause people to drop orders I would have posted earlier....JUST KIDDING !!!

How much NWM did you invest, roughly?

Secret was pretty good, i guess the artist just couldn't get his stuff in on time. Wouldn't blame hickman for that debacle.

Secret kicks .

Is it for sure they will never finish it?

I read that Hickman was planning Secret #3 to come on in December or January, but that would probably be the last one because they can't keep up. I forget where I saw it. Maybe the back pages of MP or something.

lets see 5 books out currently with approx 100 of each book (give or take ;-) was something like $900 . I will make a few coins on sets

Even if they only had 2 a month, that would be 2400 comics you have to sell and package every year, if you collect them all to 3 to make sets, 7200 comics.

You'd be better off to take all that money, start an actual store, become a certified retailer for Diamond as a Sole Proprietorship, carry only your image 1s to meet the monthly requirements, and then stock some actual HIGH MARGIN items.

cause you are going to be spending $25K to make $7 with the exclusion of one or two titles that makes it.

Divide that by the hours spent, even if you have child labour, and its still going to be less than minimum wage, with no real means of sustainable growth (unless you had an actual store and employees, and high margin items).

my 2 cents

Edited by CBT

? having a storefront would require me buying a piece of EVERYTHING on the market. Your right that would require an overhead that I don't care to have or need . I get to pick and chose what I want to invest in. BIG difference. Your math is WAY out of whack. Let's take NWM as an example... my $900 investment currently has a MARKET value of $10,000 . Just to throw out a few more investments ....500 ASM 700's + the variants (2 Ditko's, 4 Quesada Sketch, 5 Quesada Color and a BOATLOAD of lower tier variants)....cost approx $2500...sold all of the ASM #700's in 10 count lots at $100+/ ..$5,000 , the Ditkos at $750/ ...$1500 ...should I go on . The postage and handling is PAID by the buyer. The time to do all of this stuff is not as vast as you make it out to be. I am sitting on sets of PP, SAGA,ToT,NWM,etc etc etc Had 100's of Superior Spidey #1, will have hundreds of Batman 17, Guardians of the Galaxy,East of West at a 40-50% of cover cost. These ARE High Margins .... I don't benefit from posting here other than perhaps others might see an alternative to how they do things. Maybe my way is Golden maybe it's not ..... are you unhappy that I am successful doing this? I am not keeping this info to myself ... anyhoo

Edited by viperdays