• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

? having a storefront would require me buying a piece of EVERYTHING on the market. Your right that would require an overhead that I don't care to have or need . I get to pick and chose what I want to invest in. BIG difference. Your math is WAY out of whack. Let's take NWM as an example... my $900 investment currently has a MARKET value of $10,000 . Just to throw out a few more investments ....500 ASM 700's + the variants (2 Ditko's, 4 Quesada Sketch, 5 Quesada Color and a BOATLOAD of lower tier variants)....cost approx $2500...sold all of the ASM #700's in 10 count lots at $100+/ ..$5,000 , the Ditkos at $750/ ...$1500 ...should I go on . The postage and handling is PAID by the buyer. The time to do all of this stuff is not as vast as you make it out to be. I am sitting on sets of PP, SAGA,ToT,NWM,etc etc etc Had 100's of Superior Spidey #1, will have hundreds of Batman 17, Guardians of the Galaxy,East of West at a 40-50% of cover cost. These ARE High Margins .... I don't benefit from posting here other than perhaps others might see an alternative to how they do things. Maybe my way is Golden maybe it's not ..... are you unhappy that I am successful doing this? I am not keeping this info to myself ... anyhoo

How many Alpha Girl #1 did you buy?

none... I do have tons of Bedlam, CLone, Blackacre ... remembering the cost is 40-50% of cover the risk is NOTHING like say sportscards or nonsportscards. Most times you pay almost full retail for the next hot product and if you plan on ripping and flipping you need to fast AND hope you hit the big pulls. Even with the 3 mentioned above titles I make money at cover and IF they get hot because the market itself heats up I am golden. I feel like I am speaken Chinese here ...this can't be new information to a lot of you guys/gals. I don't hit Grand Slams with everything but at the cost I can usually get out of bad books with a sacrifice bunt. Maybe I should be selling my methods

Edited by viperdays

"When I was in high school there was this guy that wore all the high end label cloths. Drove a high end car. Always flashing his money around. I wonder what happened to that guy??"

No one has a problem with how you make your riches viper. It's your approach to this forum and how you claim to be the expert. I equate it to showing up first day on the job and trying to be the CEO. Humble confidence goes a long way... 2c

Edited by ItsJustRyan

"When I was in high school there was this guy that worn all the high end label cloths. Drove a high end car. Always flashing his money around. I wonder what happened to that guy??"

No one has a problem with how you make your riches viper. It's your approach to this forum and how you claim to be the expert. I equate it to showing up first day on the job and trying to be the CEO. Humble confidence goes a long way... 2c

:applause:

Very nice Ryan

? having a storefront would require me buying a piece of EVERYTHING on the market.

no it doesnt

Your right that would require an overhead that I don't care to have or need . I get to pick and chose what I want to invest in. BIG difference.

i said to make your own business, and run a store, didnt say it had to be brick and mortar. You could do it completely online. You obviously dont know what is involved in purchasing from Diamond, as all of your comments about it are wrong.

You still have complete control over what you buy, but you wouldnt be limited to making a dollar a book.

Your math is WAY out of whack. Let's take NWM as an example... my $900 investment currently has a MARKET value of $10,000 .

Look up "mark to market", then get busy selling and find out what it really is worth. My math was for 100 of every number 1, and was not way out of whack. last sentence, was "except for the few that make it". You respond citing the one example where there is a real margin, and that margin is RIGHT NOW. Go read the FATALE thread, and the MIND THE GAP thread, etc etc etc. if i had 100s of copies of nowhere men, i sure would be selling 90% of them right now, and if I believed in the story long term, putting that money back into Thought Bubbles, NOT using it to buy 100 copies of East to West.

I am sitting on sets of PP, SAGA,ToT,NWM,etc etc etc

Awesome, feel free to post some pictures of 100 Saga 1s, or 100 PP 1.

Had 100's of Superior Spidey #1, will have hundreds of Batman 17, Guardians of the Galaxy,East of West at a 40-50% of cover cost. These ARE High Margins ....

I buy all my new comics at 30-40% off cover, and you dont need to buy 100s to do it.

If you are moving that much volume, there is no reason NOT to buy directly from Diamond. Also, all of the books you are listing, like Spiderman, you would HAVE to sell in lots of 10, just to get them moved. The window for them has already passed, and each successive window will closer faster than the last.

That's how arbitrage works as more and more people make the same play.

Maybe my way is Golden maybe it's not ..... are you unhappy that I am successful doing this? I am not keeping this info to myself

its not a way, and there is no "info" to share. lol at your unhappy comment also. You don't know anything about me, what i do or dont do, and so forth :grin:

clearly i touched a nerve, but i am just pointing out, you do a whole lot more than you need to, to hit the same profit levels you are, and you really could make much better margins if you werent just buying 100 blind.

Nothing for nothing I am an expert AND I am not selling anyone ANYTHING...Amway comment...but perhaps I should be selling principles. Most on these boards are trying to make money and I am offering people alternatives or perhaps offering a view from within. Aren't most of these threads asking thoughts on this book or that ? People looking for reinforcement as to why they should or shouldn't be involved in a book. Like I stated before it's like speaking Chinese . Most want to make money and when offered some ideas on how one can go about putting a few extra coins in their pockets it is met with resistance. BTW Lee Iacoccoa showed up on the first day as the CEO more than once. Good luck to all in their future endeavors. I will go back to lurking as before. The info I seek is certainly plentiful enough with or without my posts .PEACE

P.S. I wore hand me downs most of my childhood and drove a beater car. I may be that guy now but not because I was born with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth .

Edited by viperdays

Nothing for nothing I am an expert AND I am not selling anyone ANYTHING...Amway comment...but perhaps I should be selling principles. Most on these boards are trying to make money and I am offering people alternatives or perhaps offering a view from within. Aren't most of these threads asking thoughts on this book or that ? People looking for reinforcement as to why they should or shouldn't be involved in a book. Like I stated before it's like speaking Chinese . Most want to make money and when offered some ideas on how one can go about putting a few extra coins in their pockets it is met with resistance. BTW Lee Iacoccoa showed up on the first day as the CEO more than once. Good luck to all in their future endeavors. I will go back to lurking as before. The info I seek is certainly plentiful enough with or without my posts .PEACE

P.S. I wore hand me downs most of my childhood and drove a beater car. I may be that guy now but not because I was born with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth .

If you are that guy now, remember what it was like then. It is not a personal attack. In the real world people don't walk around boasting about their bank-rolls. My commentary is on your approach. I think "Lee" would agree.

"When I was in high school there was this guy that wore all the high end label cloths. Drove a high end car. Always flashing his money around. I wonder what happened to that guy??"

I mean, I think this is kind of overboard.

All of this angst over funny books? I'm glad your model is working for you. It's not a model I would embrace because if I had that much invested in hot moderns comics, I would stress. I would stress because the market is volatile and that model sounds too much like work. I don't want a hobby that causes stress, that's what my day job is for. If I had to stress about comics, where could I escape? In the past I could come on the board and talk comics but now it's all business all the time.