• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

:golfclap:

Thank you for all the information. That was really helpful.

Do you think Saga #2 only dropped 2% because #1 was a double issue? We got more story and more questions to ask ourselves. So I would think 15% would be a great number still like you said.

I think Saga was driven by store owners purchasing a long hyped book, from a well regarded creator. Stores tend to order more consistently, and when they pull out of a book, do so in large increments.

I think the series launches now are dominated by individuals looking to flip, who are far more likely to just buy the number ones. I think store owners and dealers have also seen the "common man" start to steal their "potential" margins and have gotten wise.

This buying "pressure" is what I have jokingly called "the eye of sauron". The more the speculative gaze of flippers and store owners falls upon a book or segment of the market, the larger the dislocations become. I think 2% is completely unachievable in an Image #1 in 2013. Below 15% would be awesome though, and then can he book climb back over #1.

more info just for fun, if people wonder why revival struggled so long for the first print to move up in value, it was one of the worst:

Fatale

=========

#1 20520

#2 20320

Thief of Thieves

================

#1 17880

#2 14290

Bedlam

==============

#1 22740

#2 18580

Revival

=============

#1 18040

#2 10490

well, i am talking about people selling raw not slabbed. Most of the people buying in those volumes are looking to quick flip, not hold for WD numbers.

Dont underestimate the Western world's ZIRP in helping fund any and all bubbles ;)

Come on CBT. I just woke up, having a cup of coffe. And you link this ZIRP thing I have to try and figure out. :frustrated:

lol

The real potential of the secondary market won't be seen for a few issues. #6 has been mentioned several times in this thread. I would say maybe even #4-5. NWM was huge at #3 and now I see a stack of #4 at every LCS. I don't think this will be a ToT where #1-4 were hard to get 1st prints.

Most of us Previews ordered a few dozen copies (I am in for 44 copies). But being the only person at my LCS who bought a copy at 5:30pm (when they had 30-40 copies and I don't know if they sold any after me but I can check back in a few days) I might go back and pick up the rest. If I can make $40-50 on all of those and still have my Previews order to hold for a few months then I'm going to do it.

well, your first paragraph is more evidence that NWM is oversold due to speculation:

Nowhere Men #1 11820

Nowhere Men #2 7370

Nowhere Men #3 7420

2nd issue % Drop: 38%

That's deep into speculator range AND the book was "overlooked", which triggered the price rise.

Saga #1 37640

Saga #2 36890

Saga #3 38900

2nd issue % Drop: 2%

Over triple the print run, but 3rd issue passed #1 and the book has been stable and caught fire almost a year later. This is the model that matters, and what I hope to see to know EoW is a stable winner. Obviously the bubble has grown, and 2% is likely unachieveable. Anythign 15% or lower is great.

Love this math. Great job.

A lot of people fail to realize that there is also a downside to a miniscule print run...in that it is that much harder for genuinely interested parties to FIND and READ. Print run can be an important factor in determining value, but IF AND ONLY IF there is a demand for the book in the first place.

IMO, the most important factor is the quality of the book. If the book isn't good, then who gives a damn what the print run is...? If EOW lives up to the early reviews, and the print run increases as the series gains traction and loyal readership, then it won't matter if the print run on issue 1 is 50k+.

The real potential of the secondary market won't be seen for a few issues. #6 has been mentioned several times in this thread. I would say maybe even #4-5. NWM was huge at #3 and now I see a stack of #4 at every LCS. I don't think this will be a ToT where #1-4 were hard to get 1st prints.

Most of us Previews ordered a few dozen copies (I am in for 44 copies). But being the only person at my LCS who bought a copy at 5:30pm (when they had 30-40 copies and I don't know if they sold any after me but I can check back in a few days) I might go back and pick up the rest. If I can make $40-50 on all of those and still have my Previews order to hold for a few months then I'm going to do it.

well, your first paragraph is more evidence that NWM is oversold due to speculation:

Nowhere Men #1 11820

Nowhere Men #2 7370

Nowhere Men #3 7420

That's deep into speculator range AND the book was "overlooked", which triggered the price rise.

Saga #1 37640

Saga #2 36890

Saga #3 38900

Over triple the print run, but 3rd issue passed #1 and the book has been stable and caught fire almost a year later. This is the model that matters, and what I hope to see to know EoW is a stable winner. Obviously the bubble has grown, and 2% is likely unachieveable. Anythign 15% or lower is great.

A lot of people fail to realize that there is also a downside to a miniscule print run...in that it is that much harder for genuinely interested parties to FIND and READ. Print run can be an important factor in determining value, but IF AND ONLY IF there is a demand for the book in the first place.

IMO, the most important factor is the quality of the book. If the book isn't good, then who gives a damn what the print run is...? If EOW lives up to the early reviews, and the print run increases as the series gains traction and loyal readership, then it won't matter if the print run on issue 1 is 50k+.

:: cough :: Peter Panzerfaust ::cough ::

I still haven't read 7-10 because i can't even find them anywhere

Edited by ComicsNYC22

Nowhere Men #1 11820

Nowhere Men #2 7370

Nowhere Men #3 7420

Saga #1 37640

Saga #2 36890

Saga #3 38900

OrsenWellesClapping.gif

well, i am talking about people selling raw not slabbed. Most of the people buying in those volumes are looking to quick flip, not hold for WD numbers.

Dont underestimate the Western world's ZIRP in helping fund any and all bubbles ;)

Come on CBT. I just woke up, having a cup of coffe. And you link this ZIRP thing I have to try and figure out. :frustrated:

lol

lol, i can summarize it for you in one sentence:

"Zero Interest Rate Policy means letting money be lent virtually for free in order to drive economic growth and fight recession, but actually leads to giving unsustainable (if rates rise) loans to people/companies/banks that they end up misallocating to things money shouldnt be lent for, like buying 1000 copies of EoW."

;)

Edit:

------

side note to some of the card dealer type guys that claim to be big rollers and doing it all with cash....... Equifax report picture or it didnt happen :grin:

Edited by CBT

Nowhere Men #1 11820

Nowhere Men #2 7370

Nowhere Men #3 7420

Saga #1 37640

Saga #2 36890

Saga #3 38900

:: cough :: Peter Panzerfaust ::cough ::

I still haven't read 7-10 because i can't even find them anywhere

Really? 2nd prints are everywhere. I'll send you some for cover price!

Edit: I actually don't have any #8 2nd print left. And #10 is 1st print even though the 2nd print cover that I've been seeing online is 10x better.

Edited by tommyVoltage

more info just for fun, if people wonder why revival struggled so long for the first print to move up in value, it was one of the worst:

Fatale

=========

#1 20520

#2 20320

Thief of Thieves

================

#1 17880

#2 14290

Bedlam

==============

#1 22740

#2 18580

Revival

=============

#1 18040

#2 10490

What, no percentage breakdowns :frustrated:

Nice math my friend (thumbs u

lol

lol, i can summarize it for you in one sentence:

"Zero Interest Rate Policy means letting money be lent virtually for free in order to drive economic growth and fight recession, but actually leads to giving unsustainable (if rates rise) loans to people/companies/banks that they end up misallocating to things money shouldnt be lent for, like buying 1000 copies of EoW."

;)

Edit:

------

side note to some of the card dealer type guys that claim to be big rollers and doing it all with cash....... Equifax report picture or it didnt happen :grin:

I actually learned something here. (thumbs u

Thanks my friend.

So I'm curious how did anyone order the FP variants? I attempted to order a few copies and in return I just received an email stating that they don't ship outside of Europe now.... so how did you get your copy?

I just got my tracking info - I live in chicago and they shipped my order

I confirmed the shipping price, but haven't heard back since :juggle:

Fatale

=========

#1 20520

#2 20320

Thief of Thieves

================

#1 17880

#2 14290

Bedlam

==============

#1 22740

#2 18580

Revival

=============

#1 18040

#2 10490

What, no percentage breakdowns :frustrated:

Nice math my friend (thumbs u

lol , just for you ryan :)

Fatale:

1% Drop

ToT:

20% Drop

Bedlam:

18% Drop

Revival:

42% Drop

and while this is a great early metric, people looking for false hope on Bedlam.....after this early metric, you then have to watch the trend line month to month

Bedlam:

#3 14250 another 23% down

#4 13910 aother 2.4% down

that's NOT a good trend...but looks like the drop was split between 2 and 3, instead of just on 2 like revival. Revival by the way, is almost back up to #1. Go Rev Go!

Edited by CBT

Nowhere Men #1 11820

Nowhere Men #2 7370

Nowhere Men #3 7420

Saga #1 37640

Saga #2 36890

Saga #3 38900

This analysis is dead on. Low print run can be fool’s gold. A healthy book should have an increased print run with each issue. Supply and demand is a two sided system, and books with low prints are much more susceptible to speculative pressures because of the low print. On low print books, if there is no firm fan base and speculators are the only ones bidding the books up, once speculators notice, the bottom falls out. Readers and collectors keep the market healthy. The reason book prices rise on news of a movie or TV is the anticipation that a new batch of readers and collectors will increase demand. In the 90's debacle, speculators out purchased readers by a huge margin, with the quality of the books suffering, readers left in droves. When speculators realized they were the only ones dancing, the party was over. But, for a good book 55K is not a large number, as long as the quality holds and readership increases.

My prognostication:

I think the next couple issues will drop by 20-25% because so many speculators jumped ship, however I think the book will rebound based on the good reviews and print run will jump back up and settle around 80% of issue #1.

I actually learned something here. (thumbs u

Thanks my friend.

No prob, next time you see the price rising at the gas pumps and grocery store, you'll know its the central bankers you need to punch lol