• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

id like to point out that we are two issues in, of at least a 30 issue run. Cant have everything spoon fed immediately

I think we have had variations on this exchange already. lol

I don't need everything 'spoon fed' when I start a title, but it's nice to have some grounding such that you begin to care about the outcome. Alan Moore (for example) does a great job at finding a careful balance between 'slowly unveiling' and 'giving you what you need to know' when he starts a title.

I guess another way to look at it is that I haven't quite connected with the characters in the way that I did with Saga (to take another obvious example) early on. The tension between the siblings and the world-building have been very interesting, but it's just that, 'interesting', for me so far. I said much the same after the first few issues of Nowhere Men, another title I think is well crafted and has potential.

Just my 2c ... I'll pick up #3 this week and see how it goes.

id like to point out that we are two issues in, of at least a 30 issue run. Cant have everything spoon fed immediately

I think we have had variations on this exchange already. lol

I don't need everything 'spoon fed' when I start a title, but it's nice to have some grounding such that you begin to care about the outcome. Alan Moore (for example) does a great job at finding a careful balance between 'slowly unveiling' and 'giving you what you need to know' when he starts a title.

I guess another way to look at it is that I haven't quite connected with the characters in the way that I did with Saga (to take another obvious example) early on. The tension between the siblings and the world-building have been very interesting, but it's just that, 'interesting', for me so far. I said much the same after the first few issues of Nowhere Men, another title I think is well crafted and has potential.

Just my 2c ... I'll pick up #3 this week and see how it goes.

Yeah, I agree. It's nothing to do with not understanding what's going on - I'm talking about feeling gripped and engaged. There are plenty of series (Morning Glories being an obvious example) where I read, have no idea what's going on, and can't wait to find out what's next. East of West isn't one of those for me... yet.

Having said all of that, I'm reminded that I thought The Wire was a bit "meh" after the first couple of episodes. Five series on, my favourite TV programme ever!

IMO Hickman is one of the best modern comic writers. After reading a few of his titles his storytelling timeline is often repeated - but rarely dull. His allusions and final page cliffhangers are enough to look forward to next month... not too much.

As for the earlier comment about Joe Casey - I've read Sex #1 and #2, and probably won't be reading 3 or later. There's a story there - but he's given us so little in 2 issues that I don't foresee spending another $10 on 3 more issues just to get to some "important" answer. It could turn around, but to keep me on it needs to quicken the pace a bit. We've all seen lady bits before... I need substance.

:signofftopic: I know

i hear what you're saying. i agree it's no Saga (never will be either, imo not much ever will be), but i feel that sometimes we are spoiled by good stuff AND the having to wait month to month to read some more.

This is one of the reasons I've enjoyed his run on Avengers so much, despite not being a Marvel guy at all - great story, great dialogue and two issues a month (three if you count New Avengers).

What do you guys think an EOW FP 9.9 would sell for? hm

Assuming you have one, I'd wait to sell.

East of West #1s are not selling for what they should be. But this is very comparable to Manhattan Project #1. There was no big boom until people realized the low print run of the second print #1 - which BTW was somewhere around issue 5 or 6.

What do you guys think an EOW FP 9.9 would sell for? hm

Assuming you have one, I'd wait to sell.

East of West #1s are not selling for what they should be. But this is very comparable to Manhattan Project #1. There was no big boom until people realized the low print run of the second print #1 - which BTW was somewhere around issue 5 or 6.

The second print #1 was when I noticed the boom, but I'm assuming people actually started reading the story at that point which resulted in the influx in value.