• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

This is just my opinion but I tend to think if someone doesn't like a book its very easy to say its confusing. That way they don't have to come out and say I don't like it because I don't like it.

I haven't read #3 yet but I'm digging this story. (thumbs u

Why would anyone be worried about saying they don't like a book?

Its just an excuse to say I don't like it cause it was too confusing.

Huh?

Your original post said that people who didn't like it would prefer to say "it's confusing" than "I don't like it", right? I'm asking why people would prefer to appear stupid than to simply say "I don't like it". Your post above makes it look like you're saying people who are confused would prefer to pretend that they aren't confused, they just don't like it.

Now I am confused - which may have been what you were aiming for in a very meta way.

Well played.

This post is confusing and I don't like it lol

This is just my opinion but I tend to think if someone doesn't like a book its very easy to say its confusing. That way they don't have to come out and say I don't like it because I don't like it.

Its just an excuse to say I don't like it cause it was too confusing.

Huh?

Your original post said that people who didn't like it would prefer to say "it's confusing" than "I don't like it", right? I'm asking why people would prefer to appear stupid than to simply say "I don't like it". Your post above makes it look like you're saying people who are confused would prefer to pretend that they aren't confused, they just don't like it.

Now I am confused - which may have been what you were aiming for in a very meta way.

Well played.

mind-blown.jpg

Hope I'm not outing anyone's auction but take a gander what a current EOW #1 in VF is at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/East-of-West-1-VF-1st-Printing-/181150375551?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a2d675e7f

hm

So what you're telling me is to switch over to raws and hold my slabs hm:whee:

I think right now because people are blindly praising this book no matter what. I throughly enjoyed the first two issues, but this issue wasn't as solid.

The way it just jumped in was complicating. We then jumped back and forth between people. The weird eye thing was just weird. It's purpose was odd too. Were all those people somehow communicating with others while also interrogating the bartender who then was communicating? And what the heck was the bartender talking about? And why was the father trying to kill his daughter- then he just let her go? Without well established character it is also difficult to remember who each player is month in and month out.

All these issue might be because I've probably read 40 to 50 comics since the last issue. But I usually do that each month and if a book is hard to follow under those circumstances then I drop it. It doesn't matter how good it seems or what people say.

I want to like this story. I like the concept and it isn't like I'm jumping ship just yet- but past Hickman books have lost my interest. His FF run was good for a while, but he spent so much time world building that it got complicating and I found myself not being able to remember what happened each month.

I'm always apprehensive when it comes to a HIckman book. Hopefully that is better than me just saying it was "confusing."

Hope I'm not outing anyone's auction but take a gander what a current EOW #1 in VF is at.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/East-of-West-1-VF-1st-Printing-/181150375551?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a2d675e7f

But there are also poor sales like this

10 copies for USD56 with free shipping

That looks like 8 copies with $7 shipping...

Just read #3 last night. Anybody else have a Printing error on the inside "title" page (approx. inside pg 4-5 I think?) Both my pull copies have a straight vertical crease running the length of the book in the same spot.

Not really worth it to make a fuss at the shop, and of course I didn't open the bag and board (free on Wed) to double check.

Wondering if my books were just part of a bad lot or if the whole run had this.

Mine have this defect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/East-of-West-3-NM-1st-Print-Image-/370826623018?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item5656fd382a

complexity is the best possible thing a comic book can have for me to enjoy it. Comics arent for kids anymore, its adult literature. Pointless violence or sex anyone can write, I want a good story that makes you think and isnt predictable or a series of cliches strung together.

This. I want the "Inception" of comic books experience

It's not that the story is complex.

It's the vehicle in which the story is being told.

Think of watching Inception in six parts, one sixth every month. By month four, it's going to seem much more complex than it is. Then think of doing this each month with twenty different movies. Suddenly the story will be much harder to follow yet.

I'm sure EoW will be much more cohesive in full arcs, read by tpb. 2c

Just read #3 last night. Anybody else have a Printing error on the inside "title" page (approx. inside pg 4-5 I think?) Both my pull copies have a straight vertical crease running the length of the book in the same spot.

Not really worth it to make a fuss at the shop, and of course I didn't open the bag and board (free on Wed) to double check.

Mine have this defect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/East-of-West-3-NM-1st-Print-Image-/370826623018?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item5656fd382a

Mine too... As for the story, will be reading tonight. I'm still catching up and saving best for last.

Also, Chris... WTF with hula girl. I'm so saddened. Grace Jones makes a horrible hula girl.

So I was kind of on the fence on this title after #1 and #2, but I gave issue #3 a whirl and surprisingly I liked it quite a bit.

The narrative is a lot simpler in this issue... more conventional, but something of a relief too, as I found I could enjoy the characters and dialogue more without worrying about trying to piece everything together.

As an aside, one thing that still puzzles me a bit is the extent of Death's capabilities. (Does the army at the end of #3 seriously have a prayer of going up against Death, for crying out loud? Can't he pretty much just snap his fingers and wipe them out?)

But a good issue and a big build towards #4... things are getting more exciting. I'm in for another issue or two at least. (thumbs u

Mine have this defect:

Same here, except my 'crease' is on the right side of the book. I have two copies on my pull list and they both have this defect. It looks like it would press out, but it looks like there is smeared ink or dirt in the 'crease' on the interior pages.

Wonder how this book would grade with said defect??

Strange there are so many different crease defects on this run. Perhaps they used a different print house, or different paper supplier/brand.

I enjoyed the story of #3. A solid building issue. Looking forward to the next, as usual. Now... to catch up on reading the pile of other new titles I've neglected thus far.

Okay...

Just read #3 and I don't see how it was confusing or not good. I thought it was awesome! Some new characters are presented in the beginning, which I'm sure will be touched on in the future. Solid issue. Good build. Great ending sequence and panel.

The last part reminded me of the movie Hero, with Jet Lee.

I'm still a fan (worship)

R