• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

I'd prefer 10 quality books a year over 12 rushed jobs. It would also be nice if the break charges the creators batteries and keeps them from burning out thereby resulting in a longer run. (shrug)

i agree with that, but call it what it is, a break.

10 issues a year sure sounds like taking time off to me. TPB's dont count, as they contain nothing new.

Did you miss this bit? :

"Not taking that month off, just using it to prepare ourselves for the next five-issue arc."

Prepare how? Prepare by not releasing a book? i could have sworn that creators prepared everyday of the week.

Listen, i like the book, im not planning on stopping, but lets call a spade a spade.

Says the non comic book writer or artist (thumbs u

This whole " taking a break for the next arc" thing just sounds silly, I think thats what TBP is trying to say. This is a new phenomenon in the industry, and trying to explain it away as working for the next story is... well , again silly. Why? 1 issue a month comics with no " breaks" have been a mainstay in the industry for decades.I dont have to be a comic book artist or writer to know that it's not only possible, it's expected and normal.

When Tony Moore couldnt keep up with the workload on walking dead, did they decide to release 10 issues a year instead? No , they got someone who could.

No gripes here, EoW is sweet. We are arguing the point. Call it what it is, a break . Dont try to insult our intellect. If they are really spending all this extra time and only producing 10 books a year, something is wrong.

Gosh, if it means that much to you call it a break. :cry:

I'd prefer 10 quality books a year over 12 rushed jobs. It would also be nice if the break charges the creators batteries and keeps them from burning out thereby resulting in a longer run. (shrug)

i agree with that, but call it what it is, a break.

It's their break, they can call it whatever they want :insane:

This whole " taking a break for the next arc" thing just sounds silly, I think thats what TBP is trying to say. This is a new phenomenon in the industry, and trying to explain it away as working for the next story is... well , again silly. Why? 1 issue a month comics with no " breaks" have been a mainstay in the industry for decades.I dont have to be a comic book artist or writer to know that it's not only possible, it's expected and normal.

When Tony Moore couldnt keep up with the workload on walking dead, did they decide to release 10 issues a year instead? No , they got someone who could.

No gripes here, EoW is sweet. We are arguing the point. Call it what it is, a break . Dont try to insult our intellect. If they are really spending all this extra time and only producing 10 books a year, something is wrong.

I think one thing to consider is that writers write a ton of books these days. How many titles is Hickman writing right now?

I'd also point out that I can't imagine his income is truly coming from East of West. I believe I read somewhere how much money creators get from indie titles and it isn't much. Every contract may be different, but it still isn't a lot.

Back in the good ole' days writers/artists weren't stretched as thin. Minus someone like Stan Lee who was "writing" every Marvel book for a while.

I think one thing to consider is that writers write a ton of books these days. How many titles is Hickman writing right now?

I'd also point out that I can't imagine his income is truly coming from East of West. I believe I read somewhere how much money creators get from indie titles and it isn't much. Every contract may be different, but it still isn't a lot.

Back in the good ole' days writers/artists weren't stretched as thin. Minus someone like Stan Lee who was "writing" every Marvel book for a while.

Well it depends how much you're selling. If you're selling under 5,000 copies you're not getting much. If you're Robert Kirkman you're rolling in it.

Well it depends how much you're selling. If you're selling under 5,000 copies you're not getting much. If you're Robert Kirkman you're rolling in it.

Do you have anything to back that up though? Kirkman might be a bit different too because he is a partner at Image now I believe. I'd still wonder what he actually makes an issue though.

Licensing is an entirely different issue.

I completely disagree with you. Back in the old days artists and writes were way and I mean way more maxed out than today's market. Kirby was cranking out up to 5 books a week. I'd like to see artists today keep up with that time frame (he literally worked 12 hour days and made peanuts cause it was page rate pays then).

Great sales for #3

as for being a writer for image you pay a small down payment never changes to start your title with the image logo in the beginning and whatever you make after that is all yours image owns nothing & nothing goes back to image you own everything

so selling 39,000 plus books is a great income for you alone but that being said you do everything unlike marvel and dc who have a team to help you

kirkman keeps all the money that is made from walking dead he owns it all

image owns nothing

Great sales for #3

as for being a writer for image you pay a small down payment never changes to start your title with the image logo in the beginning and whatever you make after that is all yours image owns nothing & nothing goes back to image you own everything

so selling 39,000 plus books is a great income for you alone but that being said you do everything unlike marvel and dc who have a team to help you

kirkman keeps all the money that is made from walking dead he owns it all

image owns nothing

I wouldn't say he keeps all the money from the walking dead. Doesn't Tony Moore get a nice little chunk of that pie?