• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

Why can't we all just get slabbed copies of both RRPs and get along :angel::foryou:

Do you have a supplier? Because that's a lot of RRPs

I wish!

I do have a blue 9.8 candidate at CGC currently. If it hits that grade you will probably see it for sale somewhere.

Are the CGC Census numbers correct for the EoW #1 RRP: 23 Universal 9.8's and 17 SS 9.8's? Or am I looking at wrong thing? I feel like most of the ones I have seen pop-up for sale are SS, so I figured there'd be more yellow than blue on the census.

I had two Universal 9.8's, but sold one a couple months ago to a fellow boardie. The one I have left actually belongs to my wife (I purchased the raw copy, but she paid for it and slabbing costs) and seems prices have gone up a bit since. At my suggestion, she got it as a "high risk investment" and looks like now might be a good time for her to sell.

hm

I am a Saga guy to the core BUT, the EoW RRP is not east to get in 9.8. That damn ink bleed kills the numbers and we will not see as many as the Saga RRP. I think the value of the EoW RRP can surpass Saga.

Not this year.

Edit: I just looked at the categories and I would bet that EOW will get entered in writer, artist, and continuing series next year. I don't know what they could have entered with only 6 issues out this year. 2c

Edited by The Authority

It's common for Nick. Just depends on his mood. From my observation, when he gets a stack, he'll do his cursive (OK, scribble:P) sig because it's quicker. When he gets a single book, he may do the artist's sig, as it allows him a few more seconds to talk to the fan. But again, there's no real rationale that he's told me...I would just chalk it up to his mood.

Did EoW get nominated for the Shel Dorf awards?

The most prestigious award in comics is the Eisner. After that, I would say the Harvey. The Shel Dorf Award is still pretty new. Let's see if EoW gets nominated for any Eisners next year...that's the real prize. It may have a good shot as Hickman is on the nominating committee's radar, having gotten nods this year for Best Series and Best Writer for THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS.

One of the things I noticed is that if he does a sketch, he'll often do the DRAGOTTA signature, and when he just signs, it's the cursive.

The most prestigious award in comics is the Eisner. After that, I would say the Harvey. The Shel Dorf Award is still pretty new. Let's see if EoW gets nominated for any Eisners next year...that's the real prize. It may have a good shot as Hickman is on the nominating committee's radar, having gotten nods this year for Best Series and Best Writer for THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS.

I'd be very let down if East of West wasn't at least nominated.

+1

This year's nominees were: FATALE, HAWKEYE, MANHATTAN PROJECTS, PROPHET, and SAGA (with SAGA being the big winner). Four out of five nominees were Image books; there's no favoritism towards superheroes going on. I'm sure EoW will get consideration. That's a tough group to break into, though...it's going to be competitive.

This year's nominees were: FATALE, HAWKEYE, MANHATTAN PROJECTS, PROPHET, and SAGA (with SAGA being the big winner). Four out of five nominees were Image books; there's no favoritism towards superheroes going on. I'm sure EoW will get consideration. That's a tough group to break into, though...it's going to be competitive.

I never read Prophet so I can't speak for that, but I put East of West above all of the other books. Saga is the only one that really comes close. I really enjoy Manhattan Projects, but the art holds it back from being on that EoW/Saga level. It's just not my preferred style. I will say that it really has grown on me as the series has gone on. I really loved Fatale too, but they lost me a bit during all the one off issues. I also feel like Hawkeye is a little overrated. Don't get me wrong. It's definitely a lot of fun and all that, but I feel like it only really stands out because most of the other superhero books are sub-par lately.

Just had a thought. Should the CGC label notes on east of west RRP's list it as the first appearance of the ranger? Technically it predates his appearance in the series. Thoughts?

No. I don't believe it is even noted in the regular cover or Forbidden Planet.Why should it apply to the RRP when the RRP was printed after these two covers?

2 cents.

I guess the ghost variant was released before the RRP

(Which is the only other cover The ranger has been on to my knowledge)

I just saw someone who posted the first appearance of the rocketeer was a back cover ad on another book. I figured if that was the rocketeer's first appearance and it was in an advertisement, that the ranger appearing on a cover before he appears in the actual book might qualify as a first appearance. I could be wrong though, its certainly happened to me before. :)

Also, I don't see what other book can challenge EofW for an Eisner for best new series. Can anyone list any 3-4 books of 2013 that can challenge EofW? I really can't think of any.

Pretty Deadly? lol

Edited by jreezy