• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

There are three #1s on the census. I am surprised to see that many. It has the same kind of prinitng as Saga, but Saga 1 has no 9.9s. Maybe he difference is that EoWs pro nanny got sent sooner to CGC while Sagas sat for a littler but before it heated up.

It's the bindery tears on Saga #1s that keep them from 9.9 and above - Saga #1 was hot straight out the gate.

I know that most (if not all) of the run has those bindery tears (at least every copy that I have seen), but I didn't think it was that hot until early this year. Maybe this was just a local phenomenon, but I was picking up first prints of #1 off of the shelf at local shops as late as Feb '13.

/Saga Discussion in EoW Thread. Sorry! lol

Question: who else is building a registry set? Other than vikingreed, who looks like he will have the number one spot, dammit.

There are three #1s on the census. I am surprised to see that many. It has the same kind of prinitng as Saga, but Saga 1 has no 9.9s. Maybe he difference is that EoWs pro nanny got sent sooner to CGC while Sagas sat for a littler but before it heated up.

It's the bindery tears on Saga #1s that keep them from 9.9 and above - Saga #1 was hot straight out the gate.

I know that most (if not all) of the run has those bindery tears (at least every copy that I have seen), but I didn't think it was that hot until early this year. Maybe this was just a local phenomenon, but I was picking up first prints of #1 off of the shelf at local shops as late as Feb '13.

/Saga Discussion in EoW Thread. Sorry! lol

Question: who else is building a registry set? Other than vikingreed, who looks like he will have the number one spot, dammit.

I was thinking about building a registry set for EOW, but decided not to. The registry is so addicting and I can't consistently be dropping $ and chasing 9,8s and 9,9s.Not with a mortgage payment and baby. lol I just want to focus on 1 set (saga).

I dont really understand the draw to create registry sets. Other than people trying to complete registry sets, I dont think anyone wants to slab 2nd prints. Wouldnt you be better off slabbing 1st prints that will retain some long range value instead?

I was thinking about building a registry set for EOW, but decided not to. The registry is so addicting and I can't consistently be dropping $ and chasing 9,8s and 9,9s.Not with a mortgage payment and baby. lol I just want to focus on 1 set (saga).

Jeez, I hear that lol

I dont really understand the draw to create registry sets. Other than people trying to complete registry sets, I dont think anyone wants to slab 2nd prints. Wouldnt you be better off slabbing 1st prints that will retain some long range value instead?

I agree, this may be the only reason later prints get slabbed. Although there are a lot of people who collects slabs that dont participate in the registry. My goal was to have a complete run of 9.8 Walking Deads, and I didnt know about the registry until a few months into it. It's fun and adds some competition to the hobby.

only build registry sets if you collect yellows. otherwise you are penalized for not collecting yellows

I dont view it like that. I dont see how you are penalized for collecting blue labels any more than collecting 9.6s over 9.8s. In fact, the difference in points between a 9.6 and a 9.8 is larger than the difference between a 9.8 and 9.8 SS. From what I have seen, SS only gets you a 10% bump in points. For example, a new Walking Dead blue 9.8 is 32, a SS 9.8 is 35. A blue 9.6 is 20.

only build registry sets if you collect yellows. otherwise you are penalized for not collecting yellows

You should be penalized for not collecting yellows, you fool! :-)

ive heard that before! lol

In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO), you should build registry sets for the following reasons:

1) You think it's fun (that's the only rule that really matters)

2) You care deeply about a book

3) You want to pay tribute to the book by collecting it all in whatever grade you like and love CGC enough to collect slabs

Sure, having the most points is fun, but caring about the book and putting together the collections that make you happiest are what's most important, whether you go through the registry or not. Again, just my NSHO.

At the end of the day, I am going to slab the comics I collect, so adding them to a registry set is just another way for me to show off my collection and/or keep track of it. Seeing that that point difference between 9.8/9.9 and blue/ss is so marginal, I'm not going to spend exponentially more money to get a small increase in points.

In my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO), you should build registry sets for the following reasons:

3) You want to pay tribute to the book by collecting it all in whatever grade you like and love CGC enough to collect slabs

Sure, having the most points is fun, but caring about the book and putting together the collections that make you happiest are what's most important, whether you go through the registry or not. Again, just my NSHO.

+1.

i know, i just think its "funny" that yellows are worth more points then blues.

also, if you are going to collect yellow, then the book should be signed by at LEAST the writer, inker/colorer, letterer and artist, as that's what you see when reading the book

Edited by ThoseBackPages

also, if you are going to collect yellow, then the book should be signed by at LEAST the writer, inker/colorer, letterer and artist, as that's what you see when reading the book

Why is it "funny"? SS books cost more to slab and, in general, command a higher price when sold - it makes perfect sense they're worth more points in the registry :shrug:

Books have to be signed by the letterer? :lol:

+1.

Good I just cant keep up with 5 RRP & a 9.9 but I love the book so I will build one good words of encouragement for the little guy. :applause:

Why is it "funny"? SS books cost more to slab and, in general, command a higher price when sold - it makes perfect sense they're worth more points in the registry :shrug:

Books have to be signed by the letterer? :lol:

Sure, why not? everyone who made the book should sign it.