• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

East of West
1 1

9,321 posts in this topic

They're being mailed. Not given out here, as far as I can tell.

Nice. Keep us posted.

So Heroes haven wants retailers to get all the way home and then ship them their RRP for $50? I wonder how many lazy retailers will jump on this instead of selling it to a loyal customer for $50? or eBay it for more.

Nice. Keep us posted.

So Heroes haven wants retailers to get all the way home and then ship them their RRP for $50? I wonder how many lazy retailers will jump on this instead of selling it to a loyal customer for $50? or eBay it for more.

I think so. I can't speak for them. Diamond is pretty open about the fact that the giveaways are supposed to be used to offset the cost of attending the summit. Still, I guess I just consider the flier style offers to be in poor taste. Also, if I had an offer of $50 now, I'd probably consider that a floor and see what I could get back home.

Nice. Keep us posted.

I think so. I can't speak for them. Diamond is pretty open about the fact that the giveaways are supposed to be used to offset the cost of attending the summit. Still, I guess I just consider the flier style offers to be in poor taste. Also, if I had an offer of $50 now, I'd probably consider that a floor and see what I could get back home.

I know exactly what you mean. The few shops I frequent will definitely sell theirs to help lower their out of pocket cost of attendance. The flier is def not the best approach. As you pointed out though, that did establish a pretty solid floor.

NWM ComicsPro/CBDLF 2.0

or Saga RRP??

or Thought Bubble ??

:baiting:

I know what you mean though!

I won't be in the frenzy. If my lcs can't get me a copy on the cheap, I won't own one.

NWM ComicsPro/CBDLF 2.0

or Saga RRP??

or Thought Bubble ??

:baiting:

:)

NWM's "RRPs" could be either of those as well. In terms of the Thought Bubble, i did say that was the one to have during the mania. But, using the Saga analogy....

Do I think the EoW one has the potential to follow in its footsteps? yes

Do I think people are going to overpay by 2,3,4x what they should pay for it right now? yes

Do I think after the instant sky high rise it will crash? yes

If I can't get one at a reasonable price, will I buy it later after it crashes back down? yes

If people at the con are trying to corner the market already at $50 a book, am I already being priced out of the market? doesn't bode well for what's happening

In the end, I think the people actually attending the con should make the money. I am against anyone trying to corner a market, and I am against people there selling the book for $20 and having Ebayers immediately flip it for $100.

The way this is tracking, I can't even imagine where the first 9.8 CGC to market will go.....

Edited by CBT

Heroes' Haven is offering $50 to retailers for their EoW RRPs (in tacky fliers at tables at the diamond summit). There's your floor...

i'll go $60

Banks are open on Sunday, mrrrah ?? :preach: better deposit 2 more cents:

The days of getting an Image hot book, 500 print run, for sub $100 are gone for the foreseeable future.

if you can buy it and slab it yourself for <$150 you have a winner(to hold, not flip). $120 would be the ideal target.

There are two avenues to that, buy it in 9.8 for that price from someone else, or buy a raw 9.8 from someone you trust for that price, less the cost of slab/press double ship.($85-$110). Anything more than that, you are overpaying in my mind. Anything less than that, you are making "MONIES". Since the price will almost CERTAINLY exceed the level I am talking about, my advice given my views, is act accordingly. When everyone is buying to sell to someone else, where do you fit in?

Yes EoW might be the greatest thing since they invented the printing press, and the big 2 people just dont get it. But be realistic about where the hype and print run is coming from. The good story keeps Sauron's Gaze, but that doesn't give you grounds to forget where he is staring.

Beyond that I would say. Assume that there will be at LEAST 200 of them slabbed by this time next year, probably close to a 100/100 blue/yellow split. The actual numbers will probably be a bit less, but being conservative with estimates is good. 4-6 weeks from now there will be a lot of them on ebay. 6-8 weeks from now, is probably a good time to look to buy one, if the price exceeds the numbers i said.

These are my views, and on them I would/will act. People are welcome to disagree, and inform me and others where I am off base. But I really would hope that somehow by getting a discussion on this ahead of time, can help prevent what happened to NWM happening to EoW. Cause I think it does harm a books readership a lot more than people realize.

Edited by CBT

I don't disagree with anything you said, CBT, but I think what killed NWM was the multiple, competing 'rare' variants.

For a book to reach Saga RRP levels, I think it needs to be the exclusive 'big book' for that particular title/issue. You can have a few Ghost, Phantom, 1:5, whatever type variants, but there can only be one chase book that people will pay big bucks for over a sustained period of time.

Obviously NWM Thought Bubble has survived somewhat, but even it has been pulled down by the massive oversaturation that occurred when everyone dumped the CBLDF and ComicsPro variants. Collectors with serious money to spend want 'the best of the best' and when that's not a clear target, they tend to look elsewhere or settle for the regular #1.

Basically, this is my way of saying that the East of West RRP should have an advantage over the NWM 'rarities' involvolved in variant clusterF. Unless of course the CBLDF and ComicsPro versions are coming next month doh!

Collectors with serious money to spend want 'the best of the best' and when that's not a clear target, they tend to look elsewhere or settle for the regular #1

how come when *I* make this SAME exact point, *I* get mess on for it?

Solar is 177% correct on this.

Collectors with serious money to spend want 'the best of the best' and when that's not a clear target, they tend to look elsewhere or settle for the regular #1

how come when *I* make this SAME exact point, *I* get mess on for it?

Solar is 177% correct on this.

I'm with you guys

I don't disagree with anything you said, CBT, but I think what killed NWM was the multiple, competing 'rare' variants.

For a book to reach Saga RRP levels, I think it needs to be the exclusive 'big book' for that particular title/issue. You can have a few Ghost, Phantom, 1:5, whatever type variants, but there can only be one chase book that people will pay big bucks for over a sustained period of time.

Obviously NWM Thought Bubble has survived somewhat, but even it has been pulled down by the massive oversaturation that occurred when everyone dumped the CBLDF and ComicsPro variants. Collectors with serious money to spend want 'the best of the best' and when that's not a clear target, they tend to look elsewhere or settle for the regular #1.

Basically, this is my way of saying that the East of West RRP should have an advantage over the NWM 'rarities' involvolved in variant clusterF. Unless of course the CBLDF and ComicsPro versions are coming next month doh!

cheers

I agree, I also don't think EoW will crash as hard when it dips. I guess my fear beyond the "multiple" top tier variants, is the velocity of price appreciation. We already have a situation in EoW where far too many people have multiple copies, and not nearly enough people have one copy. It's the one copy buyers that support a book and build it up and produce stability.

NWM got a lot more readers because of speculation that caught a spark. Once it was in the focal point of speculation, those variants came out and a perfect storm (retracted middleman-ing offer) lead to enormous spontaneous price spikes.

That sort of meteoric rise is never sustainable, and is inherently speculatively driven. This "hype" of course juiced the print runs of the book, and lead to many multiple printings (2nds, 3rds, etc). As the unsustainable, unstable, price rise on the variants is now unwinding fast and hard, I have no doubt the print run on the book will now have downward pressure.

So now a book which is well received, and liked for its quality, has a strong print run head wind due to speculative fervor, and likely is oversold on 1st print regular covers to boot. The creators are committed to it, and I am sure the book will continue, but it's now had a false peak, negative secondary market hype, etc etc.

I just dont want to see the same happen to EoW, especially given how over-bought #1 is.

Edited by CBT