• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

I been playing Dead Space lately.

It kicks @$$ :cool:

There were a lot of "HOLY S :censored: " moments in the game :o

I almost wet my pants from those moments :insane:lol

Welcome to 2008. :baiting:

meh

I love discovering older classics that I missed the first time around. In fact, I just got the 5th anniversary Oblivion steelcase from Futureshop for $4.99 (couldn't resist at that price) and I'm gonna give it a go this weekend, and this is after playing through Skyrim.

Oblivion is fun, and worth playing, but the leveling system is fairly broken. All monsters level with you, so if you aren't careful about your choices you will end up getting smoked by bandits wearing glass armor and carrying ebony greatswords by the end of the game. The daedric levels got old pretty quickly as well. Other than that, it's pretty fantastic, but I doubt you will like it nearly as much as Skyrim.

meh

I love discovering older classics that I missed the first time around. In fact, I just got the 5th anniversary Oblivion steelcase from Futureshop for $4.99 (couldn't resist at that price) and I'm gonna give it a go this weekend, and this is after playing through Skyrim.

Oblivion is fun, and worth playing, but the leveling system is fairly broken. All monsters level with you, so if you aren't careful about your choices you will end up getting smoked by bandits wearing glass armor and carrying ebony greatswords by the end of the game. The daedric levels got old pretty quickly as well. Other than that, it's pretty fantastic, but I doubt you will like it nearly as much as Skyrim.

Agreed, and I never finished Oblivion for that reason. There should always be higher level monsters of course, but when everything levels with you, you never get that reward of feeling powerful that should come with putting time into your character.

I liked how flexible Skyrim is with how you develop your character. Unless you're playing on master difficulty, you don't need to worry about wasting perks or anything like that.

meh

Agreed, and I never finished Oblivion for that reason. There should always be higher level monsters of course, but when everything levels with you, you never get that reward of feeling powerful that should come with putting time into your character.

I liked how flexible Skyrim is with how you develop your character. Unless you're playing on master difficulty, you don't need to worry about wasting perks or anything like that.

Skyrim tweaked the Oblivion system pretty successfully, with some areas leveling gradually and some areas locked at their opening levels. It still isn't as clean as a game like Baldur's 2 though, where the difficulty was constant and transitions to different parts of the game seamless. One complaint with Oblivion/Skyrim that really resonated was that is lacked the experience of going up against very tough boss-like characters early on while exploring areas you shouldn't have been in yet. I always thought that was fun, especially when you overcame long odds and defeated something that you normally would want to face at a much higher level. Like taking on Firkraag or the Demi-Lich early on....if anyone here is dorky enough to know what I am talking about.

meh

I absolutely love Skyrim, but it is so buggy for the 360 that it drives me crazy. :censored::censored::censored:

meh

Skyrim tweaked the Oblivion system pretty successfully, with some areas leveling gradually and some areas locked at their opening levels. It still isn't as clean as a game like Baldur's 2 though, where the difficulty was constant and transitions to different parts of the game seamless. One complaint with Oblivion/Skyrim that really resonated was that is lacked the experience of going up against very tough boss-like characters early on while exploring areas you shouldn't have been in yet. I always thought that was fun, especially when you overcame long odds and defeated something that you normally would want to face at a much higher level. Like taking on Firkraag or the Demi-Lich early on....if anyone here is dorky enough to know what I am talking about.

If you hit a couple certain quests early enough, it happens. I found an area with those centipede bubs at level 3 the first I played it - that was super tough, and also a Draugr boss at 4th level that took me like 30 times to beat, and I had to do a cheesy screen trap on him to do it. Over 150 arrows with a crappy bow to kill it. :whee:

One complaint with Oblivion/Skyrim that really resonated was that is lacked the experience of going up against very tough boss-like characters early on while exploring areas you shouldn't have been in yet. I always thought that was fun, especially when you overcame long odds and defeated something that you normally would want to face at a much higher level.

Yeah. At the very least, I would've liked to see bigger loot drops for taking on a more powerful monster. Like being level 2 and dropping a Troll, and all you get is useless troll fat. lol

I absolutely love Skyrim, but it is so buggy for the 360 that it drives me crazy. :censored::censored::censored:

Bethesda is notorious for releasing unfinished games that haven't been fully playtested, then "fixing" them with subsequent patches. If you think Skyrim is bad, don't try New Vegas....which would be absolutely killer if it wasn't nearly unplayable at times, especially on PS3 which utilizes a different save system that drags performance down late in the game.

One complaint with Oblivion/Skyrim that really resonated was that is lacked the experience of going up against very tough boss-like characters early on while exploring areas you shouldn't have been in yet. I always thought that was fun, especially when you overcame long odds and defeated something that you normally would want to face at a much higher level.

Yeah. At the very least, I would've liked to see bigger loot drops for taking on a more powerful monster. Like being level 2 and dropping a Troll, and all you get is useless troll fat. lol

lol

Spend 8 minutes backpedaling off of cliff sides and all you get is that krap...

meh

And the 360 version is actually way, WAY better than the PS3 version, at least before they made a massive patch for it (several months after release). Pre-patch, once your save file reached a certain size (roughly 25 hours in) the frame rate would start slowing down, and at around the 40 hour mark the game was almost unplayable.

To add insult to injury, they still haven't been able to release the DLC expansions on the PS3. I love the game, but Bethesda should have been taken to task for releasing such a broken product on the PS3.

meh

If you hit a couple certain quests early enough, it happens. I found an area with those centipede bubs at level 3 the first I played it - that was super tough, and also a Draugr boss at 4th level that took me like 30 times to beat, and I had to do a cheesy screen trap on him to do it. Over 150 arrows with a crappy bow to kill it. :whee:

I love the bow in that game, it's so overpowered, especially if you get that sneak perk that multiplies the damage if you're hidden.

Man, ive been hooked on starcrack way too long.

I stay away from MMOs and competitive multiplayer because I know how addictive it can get. It`s much easier to manage play-time with single-player games.

The other issue I had with Skyrim was equipment management. I liked smithing, so I would try to hold onto any material I could find, which meant I was constantly dropping and selling stuff. The dragon bones and scales were particularly inconvenient.

The other issue I had with Skyrim was equipment management. I liked smithing, so I would try to hold onto any material I could find, which meant I was constantly dropping and selling stuff. The dragon bones and scales were particularly inconvenient.

The house that you buy in Whiterun is literally right next store to the blacksmith. You can store it all right there and it is a 35 second sprint to go get it.

The house that you buy in Whiterun is literally right next store to the blacksmith. You can store it all right there and it is a 35 second sprint to go get it.

Exactly. Until I built my current palace using Hearth Fire, I stored all my smithing stuff in the Whiterun house in the chest by the front door. No way you can carry all those Dragon Bones around at 15 pounds a pop. I'm already too burdened down by the tons of potions I carry at 0.5 pounds a potion. There is a lot of menial inventory maintenance going on in Skyrim, but that is part of the charm for me. Perfect game for those with any level of OCD. Using Kinnect on my 360 makes bartering/maintenance a little easier, because I can sort the inventory list by weight, value or name by speaking those commands to the magic box.

I ended up buying that murder house in Windhelm because that`s my favorite town.

The reason I initially had trouble was that I had a hard-on for a complete glass armor/weapon set and between quests I was spending all my money on iron and making daggers in order to level up my smithing so that I could craft glass. Eventually I got the armor I wanted and it was no longer a problem. So really, it was my fault. :facepalm:

Anyone hear of when the Skyrim DLC is launching for PS3? Xbox and PC have had theirs for a while now.

Just announced today actually:

Great news for Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PS3 gamers, Bethesda has just announced via Twitter that all three Skyrim DLC "Dawnguard, Hearthfire and Dragonborn" has passed certification process at SCEA along with patch 1.8.

Bethesda further revealed that certification process at SCEE is currently being finalized and they are waiting to hear exact release dates of all three Skyrim DLCs.

Bethesda has already confirmed that PS3 version of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will get DLC in February 2013. It is expected that Dragonborn DLC will release first followed by Hearthfire and then Dawnguard, all at 50% off.

Source: http://www.gamepur.com/news/10288-all-three-skyrim-dlc-ps3-passed-certification-scea-along-patch-18.html

Looks like it's time to dust off my copy and dive back in. :headbang:

Looks like it's time to dust off my copy and dive back in. :headbang:

Now that is some great news!

Any idea what 50% off would equal to? I need to add some funds to my PSN wallet as I'd never load a CC there.