• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

Great stuff as usual Bronty!

The Zelda Hyrule Historia is a official Nintendo book published by Dark Horse that tells the story of all zeldas.

It has a ton of artwork from all the games, interviews, some comics (from the manga creator) and for the first time an attempt to create a Timeline for the series (written by Miyamoto himself).

This is the Japanese version.

Hyrule-Historia-Cover.jpg

The book's limited edition (with a different cover) is already sold out, and the first print is going the same way for what I hear.

If you like Zelda you should give it a look!

It will be interesting to see how far they can push the bar. I am playing Halo 4 right now and the visuals are jaw-dropping. I can't imagine stuff looking much better.

It won't, as development costs need to be kept realistic and this next generation will just upgrade officially to 1080p across the board and with better graphics, but certainly not the jump from the PS2 to the PS3.

Plus the rumored Radeon 6670 graphics chip is pretty low-end and since both Sony and Microsoft realize they can't push graphics that much right now they are probably looking to make the consoles lower cost and more mainstream. Also, since these are hiome entertainment devices, and not PCs, they need to keep power, heat, radiation, etc. to much lower levels than PC makers.

Hmm, sounds interesting and might even appreciate but I am at my fill of storing things. Some of the historical stuff (concept art etc) sounds interesting but if this is a translation of a japanese book it will all be japanese stuff ; I'm more interested in historical info relating to north america's part in all this even if it was more minor. Decisions decisions :juggle:

It will be interesting to see how far they can push the bar. I am playing Halo 4 right now and the visuals are jaw-dropping. I can't imagine stuff looking much better.

It won't, as development costs need to be kept realistic and this next generation will just upgrade officially to 1080p across the board and with better graphics, but certainly not the jump from the PS2 to the PS3.

Plus the rumored Radeon 6670 graphics chip is pretty low-end and since both Sony and Microsoft realize they can't push graphics that much right now they are probably looking to make the consoles lower cost and more mainstream. Also, since these are hiome entertainment devices, and not PCs, they need to keep power, heat, radiation, etc. to much lower levels than PC makers.

JC sighting :o

I think you might be on to something though, I get the sense that console makers will be under some pressure to keep costs down to compete with phones

The only problem this generation is that Sony is reportedly getting rid of backwards compatibility while the Xbox 720 will include it. BC is incredibly valuable at the start of the generation, when there are few new titles and you still have a lot of backlog to push through, and no one wants to keep two consoles/gamepads/etc. laying around unless they're classic. doh!

Damn, I guess I picked the wrong horse this generation and Sony can bite me.

The only problem this generation is that Sony is reportedly getting rid of backwards compatibility while the Xbox 720 will include it. BC is incredibly valuable at the start of the generation, when there are few new titles and you still have a lot of backlog to push through, and no one wants to keep two consoles/gamepads/etc. laying around unless they're classic. doh!

Yeah Sony made that decision after the first round of PS3's.

Would have loved to have been able to keep playing my ps2 games on my PS3...

Film negatives (very hard to photograph) used in various stages of production of mega man 3 (NES) and mega man 1 (gameboy)

If you see fake mega man 3 boxes all over ebay you'll know I've crossed to the dark side :insane:

Those are awesome! Never even heard of them.

Film negatives (very hard to photograph) used in various stages of production of mega man 3 (NES) and mega man 1 (gameboy)

If you see fake mega man 3 boxes all over ebay you'll know I've crossed to the dark side :insane:

Those are awesome! Never even heard of them.

Thx. :) Well yeah they are internal pieces so there would be no reason for you to hear of them, really, as they were never for sale anywhere.

That's interesting, and definitely a bonus for X-Box. There will still be plenty of old games I will want to play without having to keep multiple consoles to do it. I still play Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 on the original, so nice to know that the new console will support them. I doubt I would buy another Playstation product anyway. The near constant updating drove me nuts.

I can understand them cost cutting to take out BC on later models, every generation (when the library has built up) but to not include any BC at the launch of a new generation kind of seems like handing xbox an advantage.

Perhaps sony has weighed cost vs BC and decided keeping the costs down is more important. Seems curious though

Ken Aldred posted a now deleted (?) comment about Sony losing a lot of money, and after googling, whuh :facepalm: they are getting their azz handed to them, so I can see cost cutting being important right now. Won't go over too well with consumers though.

Sony has lost a lot of market share across all lines of their products. So whatever they can shave off of anything to lower costs.

As for bc, great at the beginning for all, but the majority of gamers lose interest after the first year of the consoles release.

For the next gen Sony, I use my ps3 as a blu player only. All games are played on my 9th (and hopefully final) 360. So the ps4 or whatever it will be named isn't a priority for me as the 720 will be.

You realize we're talking about the PS4/Orbis right?

Sony did offer PS2 backwards compatibility with the PS3 but phased it out as their PS3 title list increased, but the PS4 is apparently without BC from day 1. The usual strategy is to offer if initially and then drop it later (PS3) or push it to the backburner (Xbox 360) after the next-gen title list hits a certain number.

As for bc, great at the beginning for all, but the majority of gamers lose interest after the first year of the consoles release.

Exactly my thoughts and I only want BC to play a few PS3 games I still have unfinished, but I just may skip the PS4 for a year or two if they don't include any kind of BC.

I can understand them cost cutting to take out BC on later models, every generation (when the library has built up) but to not include any BC at the launch of a new generation kind of seems like handing xbox an advantage.

I am also going to give the Xbox 720 a very close look if it has BC as I can then pick up cheap Xbox 360 cross-platform games to play through instead of the PS3.

If I'm trading PS3 for Xbox 360 then I'd better do it quick as PS3 games will be worthless once Sony announces the lack of BC on the PS4.

Both companies are likely aiming to set up some sort of streaming service for their back catalog, so backwards compatibility or lack thereof probably won't make much of a difference. And even if this streaming service doesn't happen this generation, backwards compatibility doesn't have much of an impact on sales beyond a console's initial launch.

I think next gen games are going to look quite a bit better, if tech demos for new engines are any indication, but yeah, we likely won't see a PS2 to PS3 (SD to HD) type leap from one generation to the next for a long time, if ever. Similarly, development costs won't rise as drastically as they did during the SD to HD conversion, so keeping development costs "realistic" won't be an issue.

I'm probably going to buy both systems right away, as I did this gen regardless of BC. If for whatever reason I decide to choose to get one right away and one later, my decision will be based on the launch lineup above all else. Having multiple systems hooked up isn't an issue to me.

Damn, I guess I picked the wrong horse this generation

With all the awesome exclusives the PS3 enjoyed, and with more coming this year, I'm not sure how you could say that with a straight face.

Both companies are likely aiming to set up some sort of streaming service for their back catalog, so backwards compatibility or lack thereof probably won't make much of a difference.

lol, do you really think Sony is going to give this service away for free?

So I paid 60 bucks for FarCry 3 and they'll make me pay another 60 bucks to play it digital streaming on the PS4? Yeah, I'll be signing my wallet up to be raped real soon. lol

Similarly, development costs won't rise as drastically as they did during the SD to HD conversion, so keeping development costs "realistic" won't be an issue.

Well dev costs are already out of control and studios are closing in droves, and no one wants to sink 10-100+ million into a new IP. Sadly, those days seem to be long gone and all we'll get next-gen is sequel after spinoff after revamp.

Oh, and lots and lots of CoD games.

With all the awesome exclusives the PS3 enjoyed, and with more coming this year, I'm not sure how you could say that with a straight face.

Actually, you are kinda right there, as buying a non-BC PS4 would be "betting on the wrong horse" as the PS3 has been good to me.

Both companies are likely aiming to set up some sort of streaming service for their back catalog, so backwards compatibility or lack thereof probably won't make much of a difference.

lol, do you really think Sony is going to give this service away for free?

So I paid 60 bucks for FarCry 3 and they'll make me pay another 60 bucks to play it digital streaming on the PS4? Yeah, I'll be signing my wallet up to be raped real soon. lol

Yeah you are probably right. Why give away bc when u can provide it online now that the psn network is up, and why give it away free when ppl will pay. Nobody is going to pay 60 bucks for an older game but 10 might fly and 10 is 10 more than zero, plus the costs of digital dstn to sony will be way less than the costs of upgrading hardware so its a win win for them