• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The all purpose Videogame Thread!
1 1

3,614 posts in this topic

If this article is true, it looks like EA might possibly kill the Dead Space franchise if DS3 doesn't sell 5 million copies (it won't). :(

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/15/dead-space-needs-around-five-million-fans-to-survive-according-to-ea/

This is why I think it's important to support franchises you're a fan of by ponying up the $60 when it first hits shelves. It would be nice if publishers tempered their projections and stopped trying to force Call of Duty-like sales numbers, but that's not gonna happen.

It's a fantastic series of games. I'm hoping this isn't the end. :(

wow, I am surprised at that! If a title like that can't survive, you wonder what chance lesser franchises have.

The Dead Space games sell well, and a lot of franchises survive on much less. I'm guessing this is some sort of mismanagement on EA's end; most likely an inflated budget.

Current production methods of video games must be unsustainable these days.

I think this is an EA specific problem. Supposedly they're in the red, so it may be a case of wanting to squeeze the most out of existing IPs.

People give EA a lot of flack, but in 2007-2008 they took a lot of chances bringing out new IPs, Dead Space being among them. Most of them flopped, despite being good games (like Mirror's Edge). So it may be that current game development is unsustainable, but what irks me is that many of the same gamers who complain about the lack of new IPs are the same people who wait for games to hit the bargain bin, or buy used. The gaming public in general also demands technological/graphical enhancements every 5 years, which puts game companies in this impossible situation of trying to satisfy conflicting demands.

Bronty's market report:

Interest in sealed black boxes continues to increase. This is sort of the early actions equivalent in NES.

("sort of" as the analogy really doesn't work other than its a popular and high priced run).

Any decent title black box in good condition (ie outside of the 7-8 cheapies) seems to go around 5k these days. Just sold these spares for 11k and change for the pair and neither one lasted more than an hour. Makes me wonder if selling them is such a great idea but I have taxes to pay :sick: on other sales

I can't believe those games are going for $5K-$6K!!!! Wow. I can see that for a black box Mario Bros....but Urban Champion?!? Amazing.

What about this one?:

Amazon

Well i seem to recall something about the (physical) size, been trying to locate info on it. None of the guide mention it but this thread does

The 9.5mm thing...

I'd love to add a 1TB drive since they now make them in 9.5mm. Problem is with the floods overseas Hard Drive prices have skyrocketed. I'm not even sure when they will go back down. I love to upgrade my 160GB but price wise right now doesn't make sense to me.

What about this one?:

Amazon

Well i seem to recall something about the (physical) size, been trying to locate info on it. None of the guide mention it but this thread does

The 9.5mm thing...

I'd love to add a 1TB drive since they now make them in 9.5mm. Problem is with the floods overseas Hard Drive prices have skyrocketed. I'm not even sure when they will go back down. I love to upgrade my 160GB but price wise right now doesn't make sense to me.

Here's what I found:

3.9 x 2.8 x 0.4 inches ; 4.3 ounces

That's the 1TB.

What size HD do I need to fit my PS3 Slim?

I know they say that you need a external hard drive to backup your save data.

But can I use a USB Flash Drive instead?

Yeah, for the most part. The odd game won't let you do it, but those are mostly older titles.

Bronty's market report:

Interest in sealed black boxes continues to increase. This is sort of the early actions equivalent in NES.

("sort of" as the analogy really doesn't work other than its a popular and high priced run).

Any decent title black box in good condition (ie outside of the 7-8 cheapies) seems to go around 5k these days. Just sold these spares for 11k and change for the pair and neither one lasted more than an hour. Makes me wonder if selling them is such a great idea but I have taxes to pay on other sales

It will be interesting to see where these prices go, but you've done well enough that I wouldn't worry. It's not like you're short of items in your collection that have serious upward potential. You can't keep everything. ;)

Yeah... I just hating selling the good stuff... I know I can't keep everything, just like you said, and that's why I sell, but...... I wish I could keep everything! :)

Bronty's market report:

Any decent title black box in good condition (ie outside of the 7-8 cheapies) seems to go around 5k these days. Just sold these spares for 11k and change for the pair and neither one lasted more than an hour. Makes me wonder if selling them is such a great idea but I have taxes to pay :sick: on other sales

I can't believe those games are going for $5K-$6K!!!! Wow. I can see that for a black box Mario Bros....but Urban Champion?!? Amazing.

Urban champ is one of the rarer ones and the entire subset is collected heavily. Whether or not it was a great game it was still one of the very first games for the system and has some importance as a result.

Hey better to pay some bucks for that than to pay 5k for a resealed gyromite like somebody did not too long ago!

here's some others that went plus/ minus 5k within the last 3-4 months that I can recall. I don't remember the exact prices so note the "?"

volleyball 5200 or so?

popeye 5500 or so?

donkey kong 3 5k+

wrecking crew 4k+

mario bros (arcade port; not super mario) 5k?

mario bros (earlier variant) 7700 - I was the sucker that bought this one

resealed gyromite (oops) 5k or so

there are for sure others but this is what I can remember off the top of my head

[quote=

And speaking of Platinum, their new game comes out next week. Platinum + Metal Gear = nerdgasm for me:

Sorry bro, but this is not Metal Gear. It's a hack and slash disguised as Metal Gear. Tactical Espionage Action it is not.

By the way, i finally replaced my old 360 (external hard drive) with a new 360 slim. For whatever reason, i don't get sound out of the HDMI hook up. As a result, i've been using a fiber optic cable for audio.

Has anyone ever had this problem??

[quote=

And speaking of Platinum, their new game comes out next week. Platinum + Metal Gear = nerdgasm for me:

Sorry bro, but this is not Metal Gear. It's a hack and slash disguised as Metal Gear. Tactical Espionage Action it is not.

It's a spin-off. It's going to be an all-out action game, to be sure, but it's being made by arguably the most talented studio for producing pure action games in existence.

And I disagree with the idea that this isn't a Metal Gear game. Every Metal Gear game has had crazy, off the wall action; it was just relegated to unplayable cut-scenes. I look at this game as an opportunity to finally play all those crazy cut-scenes, instead of just watching them.

[quote=

It's a spin-off. It's going to be an all-out action game, to be sure, but it's being made by arguably the most talented studio for producing pure action games in existence.

And I disagree with the idea that this isn't a Metal Gear game. Every Metal Gear game has had crazy, off the wall action; it was just relegated to unplayable cut-scenes. I look at this game as an opportunity to finally play all those crazy cut-scenes, instead of just watching them.

Metal gear has to be the funnest, yet most convoluted, wacky, and crazy franchise there is.

I still have no idea what happened in MGS4.

I know they say that you need a external hard drive to backup your save data.

But can I use a USB Flash Drive instead?

Yeah, for the most part. The odd game won't let you do it, but those are mostly older titles.

As far as i know you need a harddrive for most things but some things(some savegames like COI says) wont back up no matter the medium.

I think ps1/ps2 save games require that old school savegame stick with an adaptor ?

But if you have 120gb to back up you will need at least 120gb drive to back it up to....

If you have an old drive laying about from an old pc you can buy a usb box for that and use. Drive must be formatted as fat32 which windows wont let you do above 40gb i think so you need a 3rd party program for that but there are free ones out there for that. example that takes both 2.5" and 3.5"

The usb stick is just for the firmware, and if you watched that last video i linked to you know the directory structure you need to make, and make sure it IN UPPERCASE (or it wont work and give you a headache like it did me :facepalm: )

By the way, i finally replaced my old 360 (external hard drive) with a new 360 slim. For whatever reason, i don't get sound out of the HDMI hook up. As a result, i've been using a fiber optic cable for audio.

Has anyone ever had this problem??

Go trough the sound settings ?

[quote=

Metal gear has to be the funnest, yet most convoluted, wacky, and crazy franchise there is.

I still have no idea what happened in MGS4.

lol That's why I love it so much. You spend a dozen hours AFTER playing each game trying to make sense of what you just played.

As far as i know you need a harddrive for most things but some things(some savegames like COI says) wont back up no matter the medium.

Prior to one of the system updates (2008 or 2009), nothing could be copied or backed up. Then a system update made it so that saves could be backed up, but you still can't back up anything in the game data utility because of the copyright protection on DLCs and downloadable titles.